The sound does it for me.

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The sound does it for me.

Postby MartcasterJunior » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:30 pm

That's because The Beatles were a cultural phenomenon whose success had an impact across the entire world; one which is still felt today. The Shadows...weren't. That's not to say that they aren't important, but they're two very different groups in so many ways. There's little point in trying to compare them.
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Mathew Verril

Postby kipper » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 pm

MartcasterJunior wrote:That's because The Beatles were a cultural phenomenon whose success had an impact across the entire world; one which is still felt today. The Shadows...weren't. That's not to say that they aren't important, but they're two very different groups in so many ways. There's little point in trying to compare them.

100% agree with this. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Gatwick1946 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:05 pm

I have a slight feeling of puzzlement nowadays, because in 1960, Apache did not have the impact on me that it did on many others. It was not until I heard FBI that my eyes were opened to the world of The Shadows.

Today I find it very hard to decide on a "goose bump" tune or riff, because I enjoy so much of The Shadows' output. Perhaps the first couple of notes of Man of Mystery …………..??????????, well I don't think I need to say anymore!

Kindest regards
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Allclaphands » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 am

The impact created by 'The Shadows' and there guitar music back in the late 50's and early 60's was
original unique and unprecedented causing a phenomenal that had not been seen before with the
British audiences and of cause not forgetting that guy who did the signing.What happened then
must of had a huge big influence on the groups that came later,ask yourself the question if this
phenomenon with 'The Shadows' had not happened would the following creation and success of
these groups been the same or not.

Pete
Some people like to ROCK, Some people like to ROLL, What do YOU like to do?
Allclaphands

Full Real Name: Peter Bryan

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:37 am

Allclaphands wrote:The impact created by 'The Shadows' and there guitar music back in the late 50's and early 60's was
original unique and unprecedented causing a phenomenal that had not been seen before with the
British audiences and of cause not forgetting that guy who did the signing.What happened then
must of had a huge big influence on the groups that came later,ask yourself the question if this
phenomenon with 'The Shadows' had not happened would the following creation and success of
these groups been the same or not.

Pete

Yes it would, because those R 'n B records from the USA that were the main influence of groups in Liverpool like The Beatles, Undertakers, Big Three, Searchers etc etc were being imported by crews on the ships docking in Liverpool, which is where that particular genre of music exploded onto the scene. Cliff & The Shadows were London based and their influence was in a different area altogether, though they were the ones who caught my eye and resulted in my path in the music business. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RogerF » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:57 pm

The perfect Hank/Strat sound for me is the main melody in Santa Anna, I can't think of a more perfect (clean!) guitar sound than that, closely followed by The Breeze And I.

But goose pimples?
Wonderful Land.
Hearing that on the radio over breakfast before catching the bus to school in 1962 was what set me off into HAVING to learn to play the guitar.
Still learning...........
RogerF

Full Real Name: Roger Fairhurst

Postby martcaster » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Roger?
Sorry to burst your bubble. Santa Ana: Sound Of The Shadows : 1965. 1965= resoundingly Burns guitars. Great tune. Great arrangement. Great album. But undeniably Burns.
As for W/L...undeniably Strat and fabulous tune, especially im Mono over the wireless.
Regards,
Mart (also still learning. So much to learn; so little time.(Twit Conway/Peter Sellers) )
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Previous

Return to The Shadows