The Shadows' most memorable stage banter

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' most memorable stage banter

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:39 pm

How about:

"Now you all know the words to this next one, so if you feel like joining in ... don't, you'll spoil it."

I'd like to think it was one of Hank's but seem to remember a chap called Lennon from about the same era, he liked a bit of a joke on stage so it could have been him.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby iefje » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 am

Moderne wrote:It's good to see this six-year old thread resurrected and to read through it again. The Shadows' onstage banter - while not always laugh-out-loud funny when written down - helped to create the unique atmosphere of their concerts and was an extension of their huge personalities.

When introducing Equinoxe V, Hank would sometimes say, "And now we'd like to play a number by the well-known French musician Jean-Paul Jarre..."

Bruce: "Don't you mean Jean-Michel Jarre?"

Hank: "Oh...obviously not as well-known as I thought he was!"

A variation on this conversation was as follows:

Bruce: "Don't you mean Jean-Michel Jarre?". Hank: "Jean-Michel? Ohhh! Apparently, this man, Jean-Paul Jarre, has changed his name. He changed it to Jean-Michel, without telling me".

Another variation was during one of Hank's solo shows, when he introduced "Oxygene (Part IV)":

Hank: "This was actually written by the French composer Jean Mitchell Jarrah. I call him that, because he calls me 'Onk'. 'ello Onk'".
Last edited by iefje on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 am

Bruce said in one of the 1986 shows: "We would like to sing a sad ballad. Or a bad salad".
iefje

Postby MikeAB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 am

I remember Hank talking about not having to use guitar cables to the amps any more - 'Now I could come and play up in the back row (cheers) - but I don't want to'. Not sure when this was though.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby bgohara » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 pm

When Hank was doing one of his solo tours, someone shouted out 'Bruce'.
Hank said, 'Actually, Bruce hasn't been very well recently, he fell off his wallet'
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby RayL » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 am

Hank to audience: "People ask me why I play all these different guitars. Because I can!"
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby iefje » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 am

In the Autumn tour of 1987, there was a rare occasion where The Shadows played "Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto De Aranjuez". Bruce starts playing the introductory chords and after a while, Hank says: "The introduction, to this piece of music, goes on...".

Another memorable piece of banter was after the introduction of the group at a show in 1980. Hank: "Well now you've met us and we would like to meet you. So starting with you, what's your name?"
Just before the intermission Hank introduces "Johnny B. Goode". Hank: "... and it's a piece of music written by the late Chuck Berry". Bruce: "I didn't... I didn't know he was dead". Hank: "I didn't say he was dead, I said he was late! He should have been here an hour ago!".
During the vocal section, Bruce introduces "Crying In The Rain". Bruce: "Anyone remember The Everly Brothers? I think they were our favourite group from the late fifties and eh, we would like to murder one of their songs now for you".
Later on in the show, Bruce introduces "Mozart Forte". Bruce: "We wrote it with a gentleman called 'Mozart'. Unfortunately, he couldn't be with us tonight". Hank: "Why, is he late?".
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:50 am

During his solo tours in the 90's Hank would often tell the audience his backing band was 'the best......in their price range'
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Didier » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 am

During the 2004 Final Tour, when introducing "Let me be the one", Hank said about the 1975 Eurovision song contest : "We were asked to come second, so that UK would not have to put it on the following year, so we did".

Another time, still about the Eurovision contest Hank said : "We only lost it once, Cliff lost it twice !"
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby iefje » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am

During the April 2nd, 1980 show in Rotterdam, Bruce introduced "Let Me Be The One" and referred to themselves coming second in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1975 and also the winner: "Whatever happened to Teach-In? They dead are they? They should have been dead that night, I think! I was only joking, I was only joking! I was only joking honestly. Who are they?".
Later on in the show during the vocal section, Hank and Bruce apologise to the section of the audience behind them. Hank: "Sorry about our backs. I hope you can hear, can you hear alright?". Audience: "No!". Hank: "Oh well, it's your own fault! Just too tired to buy a ticket to the front, like everybody else!".

I think during one of the late 1980's shows, Bruce said: "There is a sign here, which says 'Ladies in'. They never come out, you know".
iefje

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows