Hank Who?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank Who?

Postby drakula63 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:34 pm

Just seen the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine advertised...

CASTING JODIE: DWM asks what the arrival of Jodie Whittaker means for the future of Doctor Who.
MONSTERS INC: We go inside the workshop of Millennium FX, with previously unseen designs and photographs from the making of the 2017 series.
NOW WE ARE SIX HUNDRED: Former showrunner Russell T Davies talks about his illustrations for BBC Books’ collection of Doctor Who poetry.
NICHOLAS BRIGGS AND THE CYBERMEN: Nicholas Briggs reveals the secrets of giving voice to the Mondasian Cybermen.
HANK MARVIN: Legendary Shadows guitarist Hank Marvin discusses his surprising links to the Doctor Who theme.
THE AZTECS: Take a fresh look at the 1964 classic The Aztecs in The Fact of Fiction.
TREVOR BAXTER: We pay tribute to the late Trevor Baxter, who played Professor Litefoot in 1977’s The Talons of Weng-Chiang, with contributions from Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Christopher Benjamin, Lisa Bowerman and more...
THE PARLIAMENT OF FEAR: A brand-new comic strip adventure continues for the Doctor and Bill.
TRAIL OF A TIME LORD: An exclusive extract from Red, White and Who, the forthcoming book about the history of the series in the United States.
PLUS! Previews, book and audio reviews, news, the Watcher’s column, prize-winning competitions and much, much more.

Doctor Who Magazine 516 is on sale from Thursday 24 August.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Hank Who?

Postby drakula63 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 pm

P.S. I really wasn't planning on buying it - for one or two specific reasons! - but I may have to now! Unless I can just read it in the shop...
Attachments
whoHank.jpg
whoHank.jpg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 13686 times
drakula63

Postby MartcasterJunior » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:25 am

Surely the "interesting link" must be more than he's done a terrible cover of the theme tune? Just a glorified advert for the album perhaps?
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby George Geddes » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:43 am

As I think Chris knows, there is another link. Back in the 80s, there was talk of a feature length episode of DW to be called 'The Dark Dimension'; without checking the files, I think Alan Hawkshaw was in the frame to do the score. However, the producers had been impressed by 'Edge of darkness' and the use of Eric Clapton on guitar. There were minded to approach Hank for a similar role. The programme was never made, so we will never know if Hank would have been involved.

I don't suppose Hank has been approached to be the 13th Doctor's companion? After all, the 12th Dr may have left a guitar lying around the TARDIS...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 pm

George Geddes wrote:As I think Chris knows, there is another link. Back in the 80s, there was talk of a feature length episode of DW to be called 'The Dark Dimension'; without checking the files, I think Alan Hawkshaw was in the frame to do the score. However, the producers had been impressed by 'Edge of darkness' and the use of Eric Clapton on guitar. There were minded to approach Hank for a similar role. The programme was never made, so we will never know if Hank would have been involved.

I don't suppose Hank has been approached to be the 13th Doctor's companion? After all, the 12th Dr may have left a guitar lying around the TARDIS...

George

To be honest, George, that had completely slipped my mind! I do now recall mentioning it to someone once, but I can't remember if it was in an email to someone or in a post on this forum. As I say, I'll have a look at the magazine in the shop when I get the chance!
drakula63

Postby Moderne » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Read it in Smiths this morning. Quite interesting - Hank talking about Ron Grainer. Much as I like Hank's latest LP, Dr Who is the one track I skip over...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Ah yes, Smiths a great way to spend a wet afternoon!!!
Your blank CD discs are how much!!!
Roger WILKO, and outta to their welcoming affordable door!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Good to know that it's not sealed in a plastic bag. I shall probably nip into Smiths tomorrow to have a look.
drakula63

Postby Monty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 am

Interesting Hank was talking about Ron Grainer - Ron was involved in the career of the original Eagles

long before those 'Johnny come lately new kids in town' used the band name The Eagles who I think came from Bristol were a fine UK guitar band in Shadows style

they did good covers of 'Scarlett O'Hara' and 'Stranger on The Shore'

I have a CD of their sixties recordings somewhere
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Postby drakula63 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm

Read the (very short) interview with Hank in the latest DWM. Not worth buying. It really just covers the fact that Hank has, er, covered the Doctor Who theme on his new album. There is also mention that the label, Demon, is a subsidiary of the BBC. So there are the 'surprising links' to the Doctor Who theme! No mention of his possible involvement in The Dark Dimension, had it have been made (in 1993, I believe) and not even a mention that Ian Chesterton's name was originally to have been 'Cliff'. So, a bit disappointing really. Not up to (DWM editor and Hank interviewer) Marcus Hearn's usual standard! He lives near me so, if I bump into him in town, I shall voice my disappointment!
drakula63

Next

Return to The Shadows