High Heeled Sneakers

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: High Heeled Sneakers

Postby dave robinson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 pm

A lot of debate about a number that is no more than a 'chuck away', let alone a good option for an intrumental cover. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Moderne » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 pm

drakula63 wrote:'Slaughter on 10th Avenue' would fit by virtue of the fact that it's Alan's debut as a 'Shadow' (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure it must have been the first thing they recorded after Bruce left. For that reason, I'd include it.

I agree in terms of musicians on the recordings, but Shades of Rock is completely different - style-wise - to Slaughter, which is more akin to the Hank Marvin solo album, I would have thought. Which reminds me - what a superb CD the remastered Hank Marvin LP + solo tracks is!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:24 am

Moderne wrote:
drakula63 wrote:'Slaughter on 10th Avenue' would fit by virtue of the fact that it's Alan's debut as a 'Shadow' (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure it must have been the first thing they recorded after Bruce left. For that reason, I'd include it.

I agree in terms of musicians on the recordings, but Shades of Rock is completely different - style-wise - to Slaughter, which is more akin to the Hank Marvin solo album, I would have thought. Which reminds me - what a superb CD the remastered Hank Marvin LP + solo tracks is!

True, but I think in the interests of completeness - and bearing in mind that Slaughter... was never on a studio LP - it would be nice to put it on. Scotch on the Socks was put on the RPM release a few years ago, justified by the claim that it was in the style of the album; a precursor in a way. I'm not entirely convinced by that reasoning. I certainly think that any unreleased tracks - unless they are appalling or objected to by the Shads - should be part of future re-releases as it makes buying the same old stuff again seem a bit more worth while (and I say all this as someone who has Shades of Rock on LP, EMI CD and RPM CD (several times in the case of the latter!).
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Uncleboko » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:39 am

dave robinson wrote:A lot of debate about a number that is no more than a 'chuck away', let alone a good option for an intrumental cover. :|

I could live with a Booker T style instrumental of Hi Heeled Sneekers but not a good option al all for "That Sound" !!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby Fenderman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 pm

I have listened many times to Shades of rock but i simply can't get into it. However i did like Something, What i'd say and River deep mountain high. But that's just my opinion. It's certainly a different sound as they were probably trying to change with the times.
It even managed to chart at number 30 which was their first entry in a couple of years.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:34 pm

I've tried to listen to Shades Of Rock several times but I can't get into it either. Leaving aside the fact that I can't stand rock and roll, there's no getting away from it : None of the songs on that album make good instrumentals. And all the production in the world isn't going to make up for that.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Re: Shades of Rock

Postby PeterfromBerlin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:03 pm

I bought Shades of rock soon after it's release back in 1970 and made countless attempts to get closer to it. But I didn't succeed, I still feel that this is the worst album the Shadows ever released. The only song from this album that works as an instrumental is "Something". The group played it during their spring tour in 1971, which they did as "The Shadows, featuring Marvin, Welch & Farrar", together with Cliff.
PeterfromBerlin

Postby drakula63 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:45 pm

I've said this before, but I think it's worth repeating.

I bought Shades of Rock around 1981, I think from John Friesen. Prior to that, the only material from the album that I'd heard were the tracks included on 'Another String of Hot Hits', released in 1980. The Shadows sound and style has always been extremely varied, so the alarm bells didn't start to ring at this point!

I listened to the album a few times (between purchase and maybe the mid 80s), but could never really get into it - for the reasons stated. It was just too different.

Then, probably about 1995 or thereabouts, I got it off the shelf for what must have been the first time in about a decade and played it. Maybe I had changed a lot in those ten years, maybe my tastes had expanded, but suddenly I 'got it' and I grew to love it fairly quickly. That was over 20 years ago now and I can honestly say that it gets played as much as, Tasty, Specs Appeal, Live at the Paris Olympia and Rockin' With Curly Leads - which have been favourites of mine since I first heard them in the '70s.

I suppose Shades of Rock is always going to be the most divisive of Shads albums... but personally I think it's great!

(Mind you, I like 'The Shadows Live at the Sankei Hall' too...!) :D
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby dave robinson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:06 am

Uncleboko wrote:
dave robinson wrote:A lot of debate about a number that is no more than a 'chuck away', let alone a good option for an intrumental cover. :|

I could live with a Booker T style instrumental of Hi Heeled Sneekers but not a good option al all for "That Sound" !!

Agreed! ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Moderne » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:15 am

A reviewer (I think it was in Record Collector magazine) once described Shades of Rock as "Booker T and the MGs for the home counties"!!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Previous

Return to The Shadows