Documentary tonight on ITV

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Documentary tonight on ITV

Postby drakula63 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:29 pm

I suggest that we all watch/record the Cliff Richard documentary tonight on ITV at 9 o'clock.

I gather that among those being interviewed will be Hank, Bruce, Brian and Olivia. I'm sure it'll be an eye-opening programme and no doubt there'll be some classic clips!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Documentary tonight on ITV

Postby dave robinson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:13 am

I watched and enjoyed it, Cliff came over well and made his point very well. Good input too from The Shads, Brian May and the others. Felt ashamed of being from South Yorks, what with our totally inept police force blundering YET AGAIN.
As for the BBC, they are just scum and no longer serve any purpose. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby drakula63 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:50 am

dave robinson wrote:I watched and enjoyed it, Cliff came over well and made his point very well. Good input too from The Shads, Brian May and the others. Felt ashamed of being from South Yorks, what with our totally inept police force blundering YET AGAIN.
As for the BBC, they are just scum and no longer serve any purpose. :|

Say it like it is Dave! :D

Yeah, I agree. Inevitably the show featured Cliff's recent ordeal very heavily, but still managed to paint a fairly broad picture of his career, given the short running time (how can you do justice to 60 years in just 60 minutes?!). Nice to see the Shads, both in recent interviews and some archive footage - some of which I had not seen before. Nice, also, to see the 'video' for 'Shooting Star', which has only come to light in the last few years and surely has not been seen on TV before. Everyone came across well and as genuine people who knew what they were talking about. I thought that Cliff looked visibly older than I expected, but that just shows how horrific these last four years have been. Mind you, he still looks better than I can ever hope to at 78! And of course it was great to hear the BBC getting a unanimous mauling from all concerned. It's been a bad year for them, what with Cliff taking them to the cleaners and now the disaster that is Doctor Who - with consistently falling audience numbers and more adverse criticism than I have ever seen for the show in 50 years! They have, indeed, 'lost the plot' and I for one would be pleased to see them consigned to the pages of history.

I think Cliff has and will come out of this much, much better than anyone could have predicted. It would be nice as well if a longer version of this programme could be released on DVD or Bluray, as I am sure there must be at least the same amount again (of interview footage) that could be used. Oh and it featured a great version of 'Why Should the Devil...' featuring Cliff Hall, George Ford, etc...

I recorded it and shall watch it again.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby KurtFroberg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:39 am

Just found this on YouTube...

https://youtu.be/uWZ67GiwUxM

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Postby JimN » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 am

KurtFroberg wrote:Just found this on YouTube...

Kurt

Blocked in the UK, copyright of "LDS" (whoever they are).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby johnc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for posting the link...I just watched the documentary here in Oz...very good indeed.
johnc

Postby Didier » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:30 am

KurtFroberg wrote:Just found this on YouTube...

Kurt

Thanks for the link, it's not blocked in France so I could watch it. Interesting documntary, although I would have preferred more time on Cliff's career and less on his case.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 pm

I thought it was well made and rightly pitched to Cliff’s priorities now: vindication and getting back on his showbiz feet.

JimN wrote:Blocked in the UK, copyright of "LDS" (whoever they are).

LDS is an “Internet TV” company. I know little about such organisations but guess that they make TV content available online. Maybe they have acquired the rights to the Cliff documentary and are therefore keen to prevent YouTube depriving them of their income stream.
Does anyone know more?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Twilight Ranger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:47 am

Didier wrote: Interesting documntary, although I would have preferred more time on Cliff's career and less on his case.

Didier

I just watched the documentary. As I knew about the career of Cliff and The Shadows, I was quite happy not to hear it again in detail. For me concentrating on Cliff's court case was just fine. By the way, I happened to be in London the summer Cliff sang at Wimbledon. I still remember how surprised I was when I got to my hotel room a little wet from the rain, swiched on the TV and saw Cliff Richard singing at Wumbledon.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm not sure if the particular section at the start of Cliff's interview with Paul Gambaccini at Abbey Road, about the recording of Move It, was included in the programme, but he refers to that initial pre-Shadows period as with "regular session musicians plus the guy who wrote Move It playing guitar." He follows up by referring to "Ian" (the late Ian Samwell) partially writing the song on the Greenline bus to the session, but chose not to name drummer, Terry Smart who also participated...

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Next

Return to The Shadows