Postby alewis41 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 am

Yes please.

Thanks,

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Re: Shadows At The BBC (2)??

Postby anniv 63 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:38 pm

I thought it had already been established that there is a sufficient demand for a box set of 1967-80 studio
recordings, and that Jim Nugent has already contacted Tim Chacksfield with a full track listing proposal
for a potential volume2?
Also EMI should have sales figures for the first issue of the Early Years box set round about 1990 and then
the subsequent slightly amended re issue of a few years back.
Do we sit back in anticipation from the powers that be at EMI. making a concrete decision on a second volume?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Indeed...Jim has spent an enormous amount of time and effort preparing tons of info for Warner Music (who now own the Shadows back catalogue) & I backed him up - with Tim Chacksfield fighting our corner too.

Likewise...I did exactly the same with regard to BBC Material. We both sent our respective propositions to the person concerned at Warner Music. I received a one sentence acknowledgement (I don't know if Jim had a similar reply or not). The thing is (in my case) that was 4 months ago. I have not heard anything at all since then (I don't believe Jim has either). This is why it is all SO frustrating. We have recently been in touch with Tim Chacksfield again......just to see if he can establish whether or not either of these projects are likely to move forwards. I am just mindful that the 'Shadows 60th' is now (as we are almost into February)) just 5 months away ("Apache " being recorded) or 6 months away ("Apache" entering the Top 50).

I must stress that Tim Chacksfield is very supportive of these ideas, but he no longer has the same influence over Shadows' releases that he did when the back catalogue was still owned by EMI (& then Parlophone). The decision rests with someone at Warner Music. We are doing our utmost to persuade them....but there is a fine line between trying to pique their interest versus seen to be a nuisance 'badgering' and pestering them. All I am thinking personally is that, if these projects are to go ahead, or not, with the 'Shadows 60th' now fairly close - then a definite decision needs to be made pretty soon now.

Rob
Arpeggio

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Indeed Rob, we must all thank Jim and your good self for all your sterling efforts on these projects.
You will feel the same frustrations as many of us life long devotees, where the task of putting together
such a project seems tied up in so many financial and legal constraints and perhaps general apathy of the
powers that be!!!
I can think of another project/ issue that has possibly hit similar buffers
There seemed a good chance that a 1964 Johnny Kidd and Pirates Swedish Radio Session would see the light
of day, and would have been similar to the excellent Searchers Swedish Sessions which indeed appeared on CD
in 2001. Sadly the Kidd recordings appear now to be shelved for whatever reason?
Very frustrating for all indeed!!!
Ah well, we just hope for a sunny day soon!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks Mike. We keep trying. It is extremely annoying when there is no response and hence just complete uncertainty. I mean, I would have thought that 4 months was long enough for Warner Music to make some kind of decision...even if it is a negative one. Being cynical....I guess there might be some kind of TV advertised '60 Golden Greats' *(similar to the recent Cliff Richard set).....but it would simply be exactly the same recordings that ALL of us already own MANY times over. Plus...I would not rule out Rollover* (the Shads re-recordings & new material - 1980s onwards - which they own the rights to) also putting out some kind of collection (but there will nothing new & nothing unissued).

* I must stress that this is pure speculation on my part and based on no official information whatsoever. Purely hypothetical.
Arpeggio

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Tim Chacksfield is doing his utmost to help get this one up and running, but there are still some hurdles / obstacles to overcome as yet.
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:05 am

George Geddes wrote:You know I want it...

George

George!

And you a staunch Presbyterian!

Suits you sir...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 am

OK...

Let me put a slightly different (but similar) question...

Is there anyone here who would not buy a 6-CD set of all the Shadows' recordings issued between 1st January 1967 and their leaving EMI in 1980 (with an added section of mono tracks from before 1967 which have never been issued on CD)?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows