Re: Shadows At The BBC (2)??

Postby Mark Daniels » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:15 pm

depends on the price?

Mark
Mark Daniels

Full Real Name: Mark Daniels

Postby Fenderman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:58 pm

I have gaps in my mono versions of the singles from 1965-69. Not sure if they were ever released on CD.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Arpeggio » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:38 pm

The Shadows' Diamond Jubilee (6Oth) dates from either June 17th (when "Apache" was recorded) or late July when it first entered the singles charts. But....of course...the first time that most of us ever heard it was probably July 9th, 1960 on Saturday Club. By the time they were back on Saturday Club once more (August 6th, 1960), "Apache" was at #3 in the charts.

So, the Shads' 60th celebrations could run until July 1961. Warner Music - who own the Shadows' EMI back catalogue nowadays have (IMHO) done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to recognise this landmark. What DO we have?? 60 Rollover Records tracks on a cheap Dreamboats and Petticoats 2 CD set. WOW!!!!!!!! The publicity blurb claims that it was especially compiled by the Shadows themselves for their fans. Believe that and you will believe anything. Just my own personal opinion, but I think that it is a disgrace.(The whole situation that is).

BUT.....dear Shadows fans. Keep your eye on the splendid Leo's Den Website during the next few days. Yes, there are already some great things on there (mostly Cliff - related, but not exclusively) for late October. Who knows what Hallowe'en (or thereabouts) may bring?
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:48 am

Arpeggio wrote:What DO we have?? 60 Rollover Records tracks on a cheap Dreamboats and Petticoats 2 CD set. WOW!!!!!!!! The publicity blurb claims that it was especially compiled by the Shadows themselves for their fans. Believe that and you will believe anything. Just my own personal opinion, but I think that it is a disgrace.(The whole situation that is).

... and released on Decca?? I imagine this is just a rehash of "Life Story" without Life Story?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:
Arpeggio wrote:What DO we have?? 60 Rollover Records tracks on a cheap Dreamboats and Petticoats 2 CD set. WOW!!!!!!!! The publicity blurb claims that it was especially compiled by the Shadows themselves for their fans. Believe that and you will believe anything. Just my own personal opinion, but I think that it is a disgrace.(The whole situation that is).

... and released on Decca?? I imagine this is just a rehash of "Life Story" without Life Story?

Largely, yes. The entire "At Their Very Best" album is present, some more original 1980's compositions, some other derivative tracks, but no "Life Story". That track is still unique to the successful 2004 double CD.
Here's the tracklisting: https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2140&controller=product
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Fenderman wrote:I have gaps in my mono versions of the singles from 1965-69. Not sure if they were ever released on CD.

I realise that the above is from January last, but I thought you might be interested in my list of Shadows 45rpm and EP tracks (plus one LP extract) that have been made available on CD in stereo, but never in the original mono. It might be fewer than you think, because quite a few others were included as a sort of appendix to the expanded version of "The Early Years".

But here's my list, and the reference "(EMI") simply means that the track in question may have had a mono release on an overseas compilation (especially in Australia), but not on an EMI or Warner disc in the UK:

Will You Be There? / A Place In the Sun / Walkin' / The Miracle (EMI) / Dear Old Mrs Bell / Trying To Forget The One You Love / The Flyder And The Spy (EMI) / Main Theme / Ranka Chank / Somewhere (EMI) / Maroc 7 / Bombay Duck / The Breeze And I (EMI) / Sweet Dreams / The Dreams I Dream / Running Out Of World / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Arthur / Little Princess / Late Night Set / I Met A Girl (EMI) / Alice In Sunderland / Back Home / Finders Keepers Medley / Autumn (EMI) / My Way / Tomorrow's Cancelled.

It is entirely possible that my counting method (side-reference to two separate databases) could be at fault. If you know of another track never available on CD in mono in the UK, please add it.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby iefje » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:46 am

JimN wrote:
Fenderman wrote:I have gaps in my mono versions of the singles from 1965-69. Not sure if they were ever released on CD.

I realise that the above is from January last, but I thought you might be interested in my list of Shadows 45rpm and EP tracks (plus one LP extract) that have been made available on CD in stereo, but never in the original mono. It might be fewer than you think, because quite a few others were included as a sort of appendix to the expanded version of "The Early Years".

But here's my list, and the reference "(EMI") simply means that the track in question may have had a mono release on an overseas compilation (especially in Australia), but not on an EMI or Warner disc in the UK:

Will You Be There? / A Place In the Sun / Walkin' / The Miracle (EMI) / Dear Old Mrs Bell / Trying To Forget The One You Love / The Flyder And The Spy (EMI) / Main Theme / Ranka Chank / Somewhere (EMI) / Maroc 7 / Bombay Duck / The Breeze And I (EMI) / Sweet Dreams / The Dreams I Dream / Running Out Of World / I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Arthur / Little Princess / Late Night Set / I Met A Girl (EMI) / Alice In Sunderland / Back Home / Finders Keepers Medley / Autumn (EMI) / My Way / Tomorrow's Cancelled.

It is entirely possible that my counting method (side-reference to two separate databases) could be at fault. If you know of another track never available on CD in mono in the UK, please add it.

There are some tracks to be corrected:
- "A Place In The Sun" has appeared in mono on the 2004 UK CD "More Hits!".
- "Trying To Forget The One You Love" has appeared in mono on the 2004 UK 4CD box "Complete Singles: As & Bs 1959-1980: 21 Years At The Top".
- "Sweet Dreams", "The Dreams I Dream" and "Back Home" have appeared in mono on the 2013 UK 6CD box "The Early Years (Expanded Edition) – Their Complete Studio Recordings 1959-1966".

Tracks which have not received a CD release in mono, either by EMI or Warner in the UK or anywhere and which are missing from your list, are these:
− The album tracks: “Blue Star” (original mono version) and “Benno-San” (second mono version).
− The EP tracks: “Me Oh My” and “Friends”.
− Tracks from primary Cliff Richard releases: "Spanish Music", “Voyage To The Bottom Of The Bath”, “Poem”, “The Average Life Of A Daily Man”, “Banana Man”, “The Magical Mrs. Clamps”, “Here I Go Again Loving You” and “Maggie's Samba”.
− Miscellaneous tracks: “I Can't Forget”.

For the complete list of tracks which have not received a mono release on CD anywhere, please refer to my review of the 2013 UK 6CD box "The Early Years (Expanded Edition) – Their Complete Studio Recordings 1959-1966": http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/Ivo_Koers_The_Early_Years_Expanded.pdf
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:17 pm

On the same topic, the 1969 Hank Marvin has never been released in mono on CD either, i have the original vinyl and EMI CD (with bonus tracks) but both in stereo. I have a friend who has the original in mono and claims the sound quality is more 'punchy' and superior to the stereo version. Both have excellent quality but as i have never heard the mono i can't really comment!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:44 pm

iefje wrote:
JimN wrote:

There are some tracks to be corrected:

- "A Place In The Sun" has appeared in mono on the 2004 UK CD "More Hits!".

Yes - I'd forgotten about the expansion of "The Shadows' Greatest Hits" and "More Hits!".

- "Trying To Forget The One You Love" has appeared in mono on the 2004 UK 4CD box "Complete Singles: As & Bs 1959-1980: 21 Years At The Top".

I haven't got that release, but Paul Wray (who does) assures me that that track is in stereo.

- "Sweet Dreams", "The Dreams I Dream" and "Back Home" have appeared in mono on the 2013 UK 6CD box "The Early Years (Expanded Edition) – Their Complete Studio Recordings 1959-1966".

Of course they have. I actually had something to do with that happening, but i hadn't updated my Shadows track-appearance database!

Tracks which have not received a CD release in mono, either by EMI or Warner in the UK or anywhere and which are missing from your list, are these:

− The album tracks: “Blue Star” (original mono version) and “Benno-San” (second mono version).

I'm not so bothered about that!

− The EP tracks: “Me Oh My” and “Friends”.

Thank you.

− Tracks from primary Cliff Richard releases: "Spanish Music", “Voyage To The Bottom Of The Bath”, “Poem”, “The Average Life Of A Daily Man”, “Banana Man”, “The Magical Mrs. Clamps”, “Here I Go Again Loving You” and “Maggie's Samba”.

Those are on the list I requested in my "Later years" suggestion to Warner.

− Miscellaneous tracks: “I Can't Forget”.

Has it been released in mono at all?

For the complete list of tracks which have not received a mono release on CD anywhere, please refer to my review of the 2013 UK 6CD box "The Early Years (Expanded Edition) – Their Complete Studio Recordings 1959-1966": http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/Ivo_Koers_The_Early_Years_Expanded.pdf
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows