Mr Welch is in tonight

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Mr Welch is in tonight

Postby martcaster » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:50 am

One of Chris's best jokes.....
As I said,Licorice was also with us that night. As was his usual practice, he had 'What A Wonderful World' on his set list. We were all sitting about backstage and Lic came in carrying his black shoes. "Have any of you lads got any polish?" Quick as a flash, Chris came back...."You're not blacking up for the one song are you, Brian?" Collapse of all present!!
Priceless!
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:18 am

The band is so relaxed and clearly having a great time! Presumably, Bruce is playing 34346 itself?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby rockinscott » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:20 am

I remember that night fondly Martin, to be honest I completely forgot about the Elvis guy. Was this in 2003?

Btw I just come across some photos taken by Ian or Amy Harper from around that time of yourself, Licorice and I playing at the (I think) Ambassador at a East Yorks club meet and also in a barn which I think was Jimmy's?! Out near Pickering if i remember clearly

Scott
Mighty Mighty Pleasing Papi's Corn Squeezing, Mercy... White Lightening
rockinscott

Full Real Name: Scott Stannard

Postby Moderne » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:02 am

I remember playing The Frightened City at the Warwick club around 2000-2001; Alan Jones was on bass. Afterwards he said some very nice things to me - what a splendid guy! Later in the day I played The Miracle and Prelude in E Major. Joey D was also there...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby RayL » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:04 pm

During the years when Bruce was running Shadowmania he came to the Pipeline Instrumental Convention, both to enjoy the music and to 'talent spot' for Shadowmania. Many of the top-class Shadows bands that were booked by Alan Taylor for Pipeline found themselves on stage at the next Shadowmania.

For each of the videos that I did for Pipeline. I always included a feature called 'A Look Around The Convention' and Bruce appears many times.
As a little quiz question, here is Bruce chatting to the lead guitar player of a group that made instrumental records in the early '60s but also backed a well-known singer. Later this same guitarist went on the play for one of the founding members of the British R&B boom.
Bruce with 01.JPG
Bruce with 01.JPG (76.93 KiB) Viewed 5490 times

Bruce with 02.JPG
Bruce with 02.JPG (91.84 KiB) Viewed 5490 times

Who is he?
For an extra point, what was the name of the group?
For an extra, extra point, what was the name of the singer that they backed?
For an extra, extra, extra point, who was the British R&B pioneer?
The pictures are frame grabs from the 2007 DVD. The Convention that year was held at Bushey in Hertfordshire.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby RayL » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:50 am

Since over 100 people have looked at the above pictures and not come up with answers, it's time to reveal that the mystery man is Roger Dean.

He played lead guitar for the Nu-Notes (Hall Of Mirrors/Fury, HMV POP1232, 1963)(Kathy/Sunset, HMV POP1311, 1964)

The Nu-Notes backed Russ Sainty who was a regular performer at the 2i's when Hank and Bruce were there and later had a long residency with the Nu-Notes at the California Ballroom, Dunstable, Bedfordshire. Listen to Russ's recording of Radio Play That Song Again - superb!

The founding member of the British R&B boom? That was John Mayall. Roger joined John Mayall's Bluesbreakers after the Nu-Notes. His guitar can be heard on the album John Mayall Plays John Mayall - Live At Klooks kleek. Roger stated in an interview that they ran cables out of the window of the club to the Decca Studio in West Hampstead about 100 yards away for this recording. Roger was replaced in the Bluesbreakers by Eric Clapton.

Sadly, Roger died in 2008, so those of you who own a copy of the 2007 Convention DVD have perhaps the last video of Roger before his death.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Certainly not for want of trying, Ray! I was pretty sure it would be a name I know, but in this case not the face.

For some reason, I was thinking of Rhet Stoller as a possibility, also a Nu-Note at one time, but again another name I have never been able to put a face to!

Bill

Follow-up! Of course, all is revealed on this site dedicated to the California Ballroom...

https://www.california-ballroom.info/ba ... sainty.htm
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby StuartD » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi

Russ Sainty and Rhet Stoller

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... D8kRD0OeKg

Regards
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby JimN » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Wasn't it Roger Dean who bought Bruce's Gretsch 6120 (the "Summer Holiday" guitar)?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Gatwick1946 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 am

Thanks for the link to the California Ballroom website. I had forgotten about Russ Sainty. It reminded me that, probably about 40 years ago, I picked up a 45rpm disc called "Ricochet" by Rhet Stoller, in a 2nd hand record store, in Brighton Lanes, if my memory serves me.
I never found out any more about Mr Stoller, so it was good to put a face to the name, at last.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows