Hank with a Gibson?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank with a Gibson?

Postby JimN » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:48 pm

It might be worth mentioning that images can be uploaded (anonymously and without logging in) to: https://imgbb.com/

The site then gives the user a URL for the image which can be passed on to others.

The advantage over uploading to this community's images section is that the image is not limited in size of resolution and the access URL can be posted anywhere, for anyone to see.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:26 pm

In case anyone's interested. This seems to be the picture referred to by lefje...
Attachments
hankgib72_opt (1).jpg
(32.43 KiB) Downloaded 2160 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Moderne » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:30 pm

drakula63 wrote:I'm surprised that no one has commented on the two pictures (OK, the same pic posted twice) I've posted showing Hank playing a Gibson... given the title of this thread. It's going off on tangents now, talking about completely different guitars that are not Gibsons. Perhaps Norman could let us know which guitar he saw on the inlay of the CD and thought might be a Gibson? I've posted showing one side of the inlay, the other side is viewable on the linked to discogs page. Teflon posted the same pic.

Sorry Chris :D Here's a link to a page about Hank's guitars. There's no sign of the Gibson Les Paul in the famous 'collection' photo (which appeared in one of their '80s tour programmes) - presumably taken in the garden of his Radlett home, so Hank must've either borrowed it or, if he owned it perhaps he later sold it. Is that a Gibson Firebird I can see in the pic? I would guess he played it with MWF to give them a more contemporary image. Strats were maybe not as 'cool' as Gibson Les Pauls in the early '70s.

https://www.tvsspecialtyproducts.com/ha ... itars.html

I wonder how many of these guitars Hank still does/doesn't own 40 years later. He's picked up several Matons and Gypsy Jazz acoustics since then.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 pm

iefje wrote:Okay, back on topic! ;) I have a picture in Dynamite International issue 173 from August/September 1997 of Marvin, Welch & Farrar, taken on March 23rd, 1972, when they promoted "Marmaduke" on Dutch television. On this picture, Bruce can be seen with an acoustic guitar (the experts on this forum can probably tell which brand) and Hank with the Gibson Les Paul. On the picture, Hank wears the same vest and shirt as on the colour picture of the inner sleeve of the "Dance With The Guitar Man" CD.

Bruce and John playing Martin D-28s?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby JimN » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:37 am

GoldenStreet wrote:
iefje wrote:Okay, back on topic! ;) I have a picture in Dynamite International issue 173 from August/September 1997 of Marvin, Welch & Farrar, taken on March 23rd, 1972, when they promoted "Marmaduke" on Dutch television. On this picture, Bruce can be seen with an acoustic guitar (the experts on this forum can probably tell which brand) and Hank with the Gibson Les Paul. On the picture, Hank wears the same vest and shirt as on the colour picture of the inner sleeve of the "Dance With The Guitar Man" CD.

Bruce and John playing Martin D-28s?

Bill

On the little evidence available, perhaps more likely to be the Martin D-18.

Bruce once told me that when they were MW&F, they still had the J-45s available (though not for long - they were soon destroyed by baggage handlers), but decided, in conjunction with John, that the brighter sound of the Martin was what they wanted.

That said, the D-18 is usually regarded as the "bright" version of the Martin D shape, with the D-28 having a deeper, more mellow tone.

See: https://guitarspace.org/acoustic-guitars/martin-d18-vs-d28-whats-the-difference-and-which-to-buy/
JimN

Postby iefje » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:28 am

drakula63 wrote:In case anyone's interested. This seems to be the picture referred to by lefje...

Thank you for posting the picture Chris. :thumbup: Although it's not the picture I was referring to, I do think it's from the same performance or a similar performance during the same period (March 1972). I shall dug out the August/September 1997 issue of Dynamite International later this week and scan the picture I had in mind. It is in quite small print.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:18 pm

That CD arrived this morning. I've skimmed through it once.

Until now, I was unsure of which photo was meant by the original questioner. For clarity, these are the two Gibson instruments. The only other guitar pictured is Hank's own Burns Marvin, photographed (I'd say) in 1966 / 1967, certainly before the treble-side pickguard was replaced by one saying "Baldwin".

Picture 1 - Hank seen with his 1965-ish Gibson J-45 (finished in cherry sunburst): https://ibb.co/S5SpJdH

Picture 2 - Hank seen at a later date than Picture 1, with the cherry sunburst Gibson Les Paul Deluxe he sometimes used with MW&F. This is a model which is essentially similar to the Les Paul Standard but has the smaller Epiphone humbuckers rather than the standard sized pickups. It is likely to be a 1971, or maybe a 1972 photo. The model in that format was introduced in 1970 in the USA but examples didn't start arriving in the UK until a little way into 1971: https://ibb.co/rF266X5

I understand, though purely from remembered interview articles, that Hank also had a black Les Paul Custom, though I have never seen a picture of him with that model. He said he found it difficult to keep in tune.
JimN

Postby iefje » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:01 pm

I promised to post the picture I talked about earlier. Here it is: https://ibb.co/pxqrY5b
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:46 pm

iefje wrote:I promised to post the picture I talked about earlier. Here it is: https://ibb.co/pxqrY5b

Yes, that's a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (with the smaller Epiphone humbuckers). The monochrome makes it look like tobacco sunburst rather than cherry burst.

When the Les Paul was reissued in 1968, there were two models made available. The Custom in black with two standard size humbuckers and the Standard, a reissue of the mid-50s gold-top with cream P90s. There was no Standard with humbuckers just then. In 1970, Gibson announced the introduction of the Deluxe and the discontinuation of the P90 gold-top Standard. The Deluxe came trickling into the UK in 1971, in cherry sunburst or gold top. The Orange guitar shop in New Compton Street (now obliterated) had the new Deluxe up for £220 - a sensational price, I thought. But I didn't get a Les Paul for a few more years.
JimN

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:16 pm

Moderne wrote: ... Strats were maybe not as 'cool' as Gibson Les Pauls in the early '70s.

What do you mean 'were' ? I don't think they are now!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows