NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW RELEASES SOON: The Shadows On TV

Postby iefje » Tue May 31, 2022 3:32 pm

I have listened to both CDs and they are very worthwhile additions to the collection. I did notice though, that the "Sunday Night At The London Palladium" recording of "The Savage" (transmitted on December 10th, 1961) ends with part of the soundtrack of "The Savage" or rather "Witch Doctor" from the film "The Young Ones". My only guess is that the source for the performance was incomplete or the last part of it unsuitable for release.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Tue May 31, 2022 5:08 pm

UlrichS wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Since we are talking about the Shadows on TV...

John Friesen (and his parents) insisted that they had a video of The Shadows and Cliff performing LOVE DELUXE on a TV show, possibly German. I queried this with him and John always insisted that it was Love DeLuxe and not Run Billy Run as I suggested. I last spoke to John on the phone about ten years ago and now, sadly, won't have the chance again. He told me that he hoped to have a dig around and find the tape one day. Sadly, as I say, this will now obviously not be possible. It is intriguing.

Definitely not from a German TV show.

Ulrich

There IS a video of The Shadows performing Love Deluxe circa 1978. However, it is not a live performance and is mimed to the record. Bruce has the then-white 34346 slung behind his back while Hank mimes the guitar-synth lead part on the all-black Strat he was using in those days. Alan Jones sports his permed hairstyle and Brian affects a ferocious drumming style. I don't know who the keyboard player is.

Let me check whether it's on YT...

Yes... here it is... (might it be the video described by the late John Friesen?):

JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Tue May 31, 2022 5:27 pm

iefje wrote:Two superb new CDs will be released soon by Dusty Tapes:

[ ... ]
- "The Shadows On TV Vol.2 1964-1965": https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2354&controller=product

I am surprised to see the song "She's So Fine" credited in the inlay copy to Welsh writer / composer / actor / singer Ivor Novello.

45cat.com returns no "finds" for a single of that title (by anybody, not just Ivor) and websites dedicated to Ivor do not contain any reference to such a song among his compositions.

I suspect that this song (by Cliff with The Shadows, according to the CD inlay) is a gender-reversed version of The Chiffons' hit He's So Fine, written by Ronnie Mack.

But the plot thickens with the revelation that George Harrison's My Sweet Lord - itself held by a court to be a plagiaristic copy of the melody line of He's So Fine, the connection being that My Sweet Lord was memorably re-released in the 1990s by George with the expanded title My Sweet Lord (She's So Fine) - had (later, ie, in the 1970s) won two Ivor Novello awards.

It has to be the Ronnie Mack / George Harrison song. It can't be the only other one by that title, written by Jimi Hendrix bass-playing alumnus Noel Redding...
JimN

Postby George Geddes » Tue May 31, 2022 10:28 pm

I *think* the keyboard player in that clip was Adrien Lee.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby 362436 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:43 pm

Hi Jim, The Easybeats recorded "She's So Fine" in 1965, written by George Young & Stevie Wright
Reached No,3 in Australian charts.

You Tube also has a clip with Jackie Wilson.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Full Real Name: Ian Harris

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:03 am

362436 wrote:Hi Jim, The Easybeats recorded "She's So Fine" in 1965, written by George Young & Stevie Wright
Reached No,3 in Australian charts.
You Tube also has a clip with Jackie Wilson.
Hope this helps.
Ian.

That must be a completely different song. The Chiffons' recording of the Ronnie Mack song was released on the USA Laurie label in January 1963 and on the UK's EMI Stateside label in March 1963. It was a fair-sized hit in the UK.

https://www.45cat.com/record/3152
JimN

Postby iefje » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:13 pm

Volumes 3 and 4 can be pre-ordered now:
- "The Shadows On TV Vol.3 1966-1967": https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2367&controller=product
- "The Shadows On TV Vol.4 1967-1968": https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2368&controller=product
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby George Geddes » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:46 pm

Having listened to the CDs and done some digging, the answer appears to be none of the above! The mystery track is a Johnny Otis song, So Fine originally by The Fiestas.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Fenderman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:55 pm

I'm dying to hear these but i got made redundant so CD's aren't high on my list of priorities so might ask for them at Christmas.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Fenderman » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:01 am

I unexpectedly came into some cash so i ordered all 4 volumes. The sound quality is excellent and some very rare tracks.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows