Shadows Step or Shadows Walk?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows Step or Shadows Walk?

Postby donna plasky » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help clarify something for me, as I have somehow gotten confused on the correct vocabulary word(s) relating to the Shadows' on-stage choreography.

Is it "Shadows Step" or "Shadows Walk"? Or both, depending on what they are doing?

The box-step with the cross-over move is what I have always understood to be their signature choreography. I thought that would be "Stepping" but I have seen the word "Walking" used, but perhaps incorrectly so?

But as I start to over-think this issue, the thought did come to mind that they also have a synchronised, three-person walk, forwards and backwards, with the bass player doing the opposite of what Hank and Bruce are doing. I suppose that could be interpreted as either Stepping or Walking, but that's where I get confused. Perhaps one word fits all, and all of their choreography has only one name?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Donna
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Re: Shadows Step or Shadows Walk?

Postby Steve Parish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:57 am

I think it's always been known as the Shadows walk. Yes, there are generally different walks, steps and movements for different songs... but, as far as I know, it's always been known as the Shadows walk. Perhaps, the title of the album Steppin' To The Shadows has clouded the issue for some?
Steve Parish

Postby ecca » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:01 am

It was a bugger for me in the early sixties.
I could play Apache.
I could do the walk.
But I couldn't do both together.
ecca

Postby RogerCook » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:16 am

There are quite a few variations, Hank and Bruce walking forward whilst the bass player walks backwards etc in Shadoogie, Hank turning on the spot in Man of Mystery, turning side/front in The Savage and FBI and the classic crossover.

ecca wrote:It was a bugger for me in the early sixties.
I could play Apache.
I could do the walk.

I still can't :?. And the kicks in FBI should have a health warning :D .
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Didier » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 am

donna plasky wrote:Is it "Shadows Step" or "Shadows Walk"? Or both, depending on what they are doing?

I remember Bruce speaking about their "steps" in interviews, saying they had the idea after seeing the American band "The Treniers".

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby mojolomjl » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 am

The English language can be confusing at times, as you have to take steps to walk.
mojolomjl

Postby piecrusty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:55 am

Hi Donna,

Very interesting topic this. Personally I would call them collectively the Shadows Walks, however individually when trying to practice them its not uncommon to refer to them as the dance 'steps'. Not sure the Shads would wish the choreography to be be seen as a 'dance' though. I must confess a direct interest here as I am currently trying to master many of the Walks in my current role as bassist for Dave Tempest & The Ghostriders. As for doing it, Im with Ecca above, play the tune, yep, do the walk, yep, now do both at the same time!!!!!!!!!!! Respect to the Shads for making it seem so easy! There is a lot to think about and to get right and we have regular debates about who in the band has the 'walks' easiest. We have come to the conclusion that its the rhythm guitarist who has it easiest as it seems easier to strum in time and move rather than playing a melody or countermelody like lead and bass do especially when the emphasis is on the off beat whilst the walk is on the main beat. I would say getting round the crossover step is proving hardest, and what they do in Footapper could do with an instruction book! Forwards and backwards movements in Dance On, Frightened City, Shadoogie are improving and once you get the timing for the start right the rest follows logically, but miss that and you've blown it :roll:

Its not easy and let me be the last to judge. Sometimes you can just make a right muck up of the side to side 'shuffle' as we call it, for example check 'me' out in the middle on our band video during the clip of 'Atlantis'. All starts well for the first verse then just at the start of verse two I catch my foot in a load of wires on stage and completely wrong foot myself, thereafter its pure damage limitation and concentration just to get the music right whilst the others carry on, whilst looking at me and thinking 'What is this pillock doing?' :oops:

Check out the Video on our Facebook page;-

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ghost-Riders/374176749375339?ref=hl

I'd better get this right before Scarborough!! ;)

Cheers all,
Mark.
piecrusty

Postby Pol » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:45 am

RogerCook wrote:There are quite a few variations, Hank and Bruce walking forward whilst the bass player walks backwards etc in Shadoogie, Hank turning on the spot in Man of Mystery, turning side/front in The Savage and FBI and the classic crossover.

I could play Apache.
I could do the walk.

I still can't :?. And the kicks in FBI should have a health warning :D .

True, it`s not easy..... here`s another version....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZy-AHzXtg

Cheers Pol
Pol

Postby George Geddes » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:48 pm

In a Radio Times interview at the time of Eurovision, Bruce referred to it as the Skip Walk. I assume that refers to crossover moves.

I'm with Ecca. Playing is enough of a problem for me...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Paul Childs » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:54 pm

I could play Apache.
I could do the walk.

Easier to do playing rhythm but not so easy playing lead or bass.
Paul Childs

Next

Return to The Shadows