latest reasonable price echo unit with stored patches

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: latest reasonable price echo unit with stored patches

Postby bridev » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:27 pm

I have heard some s/fs by other members using the G3 and was impressed. Without being sycophantic, Dave knows what he is talking about and after reading his comments it is on my wish list for christmas.
The older the fiddler the sweeter the tune
bridev

Full Real Name: brian devlin

Postby ecca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 pm

[quote="dave robinson"]I recommended the Zoom because the request was for a low cost unit with STORED PATCHES and as good as the Etap pedal from StanleyFX is, that isn't it as patches can't be stored and for some it can be fiddly. A programmable Etap2hw would be terrific, but I don't know the cost.

Do keep up Dave, a programmable valve eTap2hw, with patches, LCD display and an EF86 pre-amp has been available for months......
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 pm

ecca wrote:
dave robinson wrote:I recommended the Zoom because the request was for a low cost unit with STORED PATCHES and as good as the Etap pedal from StanleyFX is, that isn't it as patches can't be stored and for some it can be fiddly. A programmable Etap2hw would be terrific, but I don't know the cost.

Do keep up Dave, a programmable valve eTap2hw, with patches, LCD display and an EF86 pre-amp has been available for months......

For £130 ? ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ecca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Have you got a unit then that does all that for £130 ?
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 pm

ecca wrote:Have you got a unit then that does all that for £130 ?

Yes, for £130 the Zoom G3x has stored patches and sounds as good as anything I've got including the ESE and eTap. It also offers Modulation, Compression, Reverb, Distortion, Overdrive , Swell Pedal, Wah Pedal - and for an extra £45 the G5 has a valve pre amp too. The next best thing if echo perfection is the goal would be a the real deal Meazzi, TVS3 or Hall & Collins, but I honestly don't think a punter would hear the difference, though a player possibly might. Value for money and for what it offers, the little Zoom G3x wins hands down. It's way ahead of the Zoom G71uT. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ecca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:43 am

tee hee
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 am

Just a thought Ecca, it would be an idea to let folks know the price of an automated Etap2hw and the options (valves etc) then the folks who just need the echo machine would probably go that way, as the Zoom G3x option requires some skills in downloading the patches and installing them and setting up. When Charlie's unit becomes available there will be something out there to suit everyone at prices and specs right across the spectrum, from the bedroom player to Hank's machine, with not a vast difference in quality.8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby chaddopete » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 pm

Hi Dave,

I know you've used a G7 in the past & I always thought they were pretty good with EFTP & the valve in. You are saying the G3 beats it hands down. In what way? i.e. what difference would I get if I swapped to a G3.
By the way, not seen you for a while, Hope you're getting there at last

Cheers
Pete
chaddopete

Full Real Name: Pete Wilson

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:18 am

There's nothing wrong with the G7 Pete, my mate who is understudy for me whilst I'm ill has been using his and it sounds great, although he's tweaked it a bit.
The thing is, it's over eight years old and technology has improved big time. I never thought I'd look at another Zoom unit, but I heard the G3 and then I saw it and was very impressed with the size and weight of it, later finding out how easy it was to programme our sound into it and how much better it sounded than the old school.
It isn't expensive and ticks all the boxes for me, but it doesn't mean everyone will like it or agree. If you're happy with what you have then why consider change, I have repeatedly said that players notice the difference more than punters, for me it's the enjoyment of creating the sounds myself, setting up the machine to sound close to my ESE Echomatic and Etap2hw. As I've already said, Charlie's new machine sounds the dogs doo dahs from what I heard, but not everyone can stump up nearly six hundred quid, with the Zoom G3x and Etap, Catalinbread and Stanley FX Etap pedal there's ample choice at good sensible prices, no one should have a bad echo sound as they are all very good. As the saying goes, yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choice. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby AlanH » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:39 am

Well I have had a G3 for a week now, and must say I am very impressed.
Dave Robinson very kindly sent me his patches and they are the first 15 now. The Zoom patches are mostly not for me. I had to download the latest updates from the Zoom site, but that went without any problems. This is a big step up from my G7(which I never really liked). I swore I would never buy another Zoom after the G7.........yes, I know, never say never.
The G3 really is good, maybe better than the M/stomp,certainly much easier to load up and change patches, and I have not been able to put it down. I just quickly tried 4 tape echo pedals(using the E/matic timing list) followed by a vox amp and E.Q. plugged in my headphones,and the improvement on the G7 is obvious. The only extra in the chain is my echoplex preamp pedal, which is first. The instructions claim the unit may overload with some combinations......but it has not .....yet, so I will press on and tinker some more. I do not know how long it will take to go through all the possible combinations!!

Thanks again Dave,
Alan H
AlanH

Full Real Name: Alan Hodge

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows