Happy birthday to you Hank!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Happy birthday to you Hank!

Postby noelford » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 am

I fully agree with Dave. Who has been gagged? This is about respecting the personal views of someone else. Whether we personally agree with those views or not, they are none of our business. In that respect, Dave is just doing what a moderator should do by requesting we refrain from trespassing on personal areas which are nothing to do with us.
noelford

Postby shadowkarl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:47 pm

I agree with everybody to respect for personal beliefs;
So why then each year are we congratulating to something which is of no value to that Person, even if it is Mr. Marvin?
shadowkarl
shadowkarl

Postby GuitarPhil » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:03 pm

I wish people Happy Birthday to recognize the contribution they have made to making my life a little better, whether they be personal friends or someone like Hank or Bruce or EC or Dave Gilmour or Mark Knopfler or ... whose talents I admire.
GuitarPhil

Full Real Name: Philip Hawthorne

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:13 pm

It can also be put this way: if someone wishes Hank 'a happy birthday', why repeatedly mention that he doesn't celebrate his birthday because of his beliefs? :? We all know it and respect it.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby neil2726 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Does hank ever look at this site?
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby AlanMcKillop » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Does it not occur to people that Hank does not want his birth date remembered? After all, he blocked the instrumental tune Happy Birthday being released (without overdubs) and he also turned down an honour in the Queens Birthday honours. So irrespective how you feel you want to remember the date, do it privately and show some respect to the man's beliefs.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby dave robinson » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:21 pm

iefje wrote:It can also be put this way: if someone wishes Hank 'a happy birthday', why repeatedly mention that he doesn't celebrate his birthday because of his beliefs? :? We all know it and respect it.

So, if you all know and respect it, why do people continually go against his wishes? Simple question. The folks with common sense see this and choose not to do so. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 pm

Somebody else always knows better, right? :shock:
To prevent this discussion from occurring again, I won't post it again from 2015 onwards. I only had a good intention. :?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby noelford » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Its not a case of someone 'knowing better', Ivo, it's just being aware of what may or not be acceptable to the person involved. I have no doubt whatsoever that your intentions were good - wishing someone 'Happy Birthday'' is the most natural thing in the world for most people, but once you are aware that such a sentiment is against someone's wishes then those wishes should be respected.
noelford

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 am

I'm sure we can continue to celebrate the occasion amongst ourselves even if the person in question does not himself recognise it.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows