John Rostill RIP

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

John Rostill RIP

Postby StuartD » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Always remembered today. John Rostill. Great bass player. Even better person RIPJohn.

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Re: John Rostill RIP

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Sadly I never had the pleasure of meeting John, but I clearly remember where we were when news came of his passing.
We were touring Scotland and had booked in at the Stag Hotel in Wishaw, we were in the bar talking to Bert Weedon, then our roadies arrived some time after midnight and told us that they had heard on the radio news that one of the Shadows had died, I'll never forget it. :(
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Fenderman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:01 pm

You went to the Stag and came out alive? That takes some doing, that was a really rough joint, well it was when i went in the early-mid 90's.
EDIT: Bert Weedon was in Wishaw?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby dave robinson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:53 am

Fenderman wrote:You went to the Stag and came out alive? That takes some doing, that was a really rough joint, well it was when i went in the early-mid 90's.
EDIT: Bert Weedon was in Wishaw?

Yes Roy we stayed at The Stag a couple of times back then, it was a classy establishment at the time. We did a cabaret there during the week and I remember pulling one of the lovely waitresses.
Bert was staying there too as he was doing the circuit same as us and we had some interesting chats in the bar whilst having a nightcap before going to bed - Happy days ! :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Fenderman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 am

Talking of John Rostill, i found a photo recently of John Rostill's former home, it was in Mitcham in Surrey. I thought he lived in Radlett and i think his boyhood home was demolished.
Fenderman

Postby JimN » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Fenderman wrote:Talking of John Rostill, i found a photo recently of John Rostill's former home, it was in Mitcham in Surrey. I thought he lived in Radlett and i think his boyhood home was demolished.

From memory of readin Rob Bradford's biog of John ("Funny Old World"), he was indeed brought up on the South London / Surrey borders and eventually bought a house in the Radlett area, where he was reasonably near the other Shadows.

John's widow Margaret and son Paul (Paul used to grace the pages of AOL and perhaps the original version of this site) continued living in the Radlett / Shenley area for many years after 1973.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby StuartD » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:45 am

Hi

John Farrar bought John's house in Radlett before he left for USA
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Fenderman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:34 pm

Really? I didn't know that.
It's amazing the facts this site throws up sometimes!
Fenderman

Return to The Shadows