Reunion - Cliff - how arrogant

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Re: Reunion - Cliff - how arrogant

Postby Admin » 02 Jan 2010, 22:14

That's enough!

Otherwise I'll take back everything I've recently written about censorship.

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby asimmd » 02 Jan 2010, 22:18

Stageleft wrote:That's because he says---"thanks for coming WITHOUT YOU it would have been such a boring night"--quite a different meaning.
By the way there is no exact script just a general guide at each "chat" point and he does change it --I know 'cos I give him all the cues in his ears!

Thanks for clarifying that,I missed the "WITHOUT YOU" bit but,I didn't think He would have said that anyway.

I must say that over the years I haven't been a huge Cliff fan but when I watched the DVD,I really was
surprised at how good the show is.

It is also correct, No Cliff - No Shadows - Now that would have been a shame.

Happy New Year

Alan
asimmd

Postby Rich Cowling » 02 Jan 2010, 22:49

The more i watch the DVD the better it is great banter tounge in cheek some of it ...thoroughly enjoyed the fact they were up there doing it for us....and revisiting some great times and tunes i certainly hope we have another opportunity to do it all over again...Cliff is an awesome peformer always 110% from him :D
Rich Cowling

Postby Apache1 » 03 Jan 2010, 04:20

It would appear to me that Cliff & The Shadows put aside their differences made up and gave us the tour we have all been asking for as we all know
that groups like the Beatles can no longer do this (only two members left).
What are we trying to do here put back some ill feeling between Cliff & The Shadows?
In my opinion Cliff did not mean anything derogatory in his comments about his number one "Living Doll" if you were asked in a quiz "Who had a hit
with the song "Living Doll" your answer would be "Cliff Richard" not Cliff Richard & The Shadows.
Every one on this site is a Shadows fan we all love The Shads for what they were and what they are. But they wouldn't be who they are if it were not
for Cliff, they were hired to be his backing band.
Whilst the music was still ringing in our ears from the anniversarry tour we were all waxing lyrical about how fabulous it was. Cliff & The Shadows
back together again !! now time on our hands we start to pick fault with every little thing or comment.
Cliff & The Shadows gave us a fantastic 42 number show taking us back 50 years, and they -- That is Cliff and The Shadows sang and played as good
as they did 50 years ago. By pulling Cliff down you are not defending The Shadows I would imagine that each and every member of the band would be
very dissapointed to hear such comments. Some of the best sounds from The Shadows were when they were backing Cliff, "Me and My Shadows" album
21 Today - Finders Keepers.
On this 50th Anniversarry Tour Cliff brought out the best in The Shads and they certainly brought out the best in Cliff !
Give him the respect he deserves.
John.
Apache1

Postby David Martin » 03 Jan 2010, 10:23

It's not easy to weigh carefully everything you say when being interviewed on TV or radio... we've often commented that when "spoken" English is written down it loses certain nuances and gains others ... sometime unintended. That's what I think has happened here to Cliff...

As to the ensuing argument re censorship/moderation... we can't win and I know it... ;) :? Fail to act and we annoy some people... take action, and we annoy others...

My feeling is as expressed before: it's pub bar analogy. If you don't like what someone says, or if you just plain don't like them, don't waste breath arguing... just move away and find more convivial company in another part of the room. Of course, you can always leave the pub altogether, but then you miss the fellowship of all the other (99%?) people there...

:geek:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby d jones » 03 Jan 2010, 10:51

Well said David,i for one totally agree with your comments!

Dave
d jones

Postby kipper » 03 Jan 2010, 11:57

yep your 100% right with that david well said :thumbup: :clap: . peter
kipper

Postby Bluesnote » 03 Jan 2010, 18:35

I like a lively debate too Jimbo. But look at the other Shads site when there was a so called "lively debate". Some folks dont do lively like you or I do. Maybe its the musician thing in us that makes us irritable and frustrated and feel the need to vent some anger at others who happen to mention a singer they dont like for instance :o
It certainly makes it awkward the the moderators who I'm sure would just love a lively debate if it could only stay that way and not degenerate into a personal feud like sadly it does so often.

Anyway, David! Seeing as you mention the pub so often.....mines a malt please :P Wee bit ice, no water ;)
Bluesnote

Postby damart » 03 Jan 2010, 19:04

I think it's true to say that Cliff always tried to promote The Shadows as much as possible from day one. Such as the early record contract. When he was coming over here to the USA exactly 50 years ago there were people such as Tito Burns who didn't think The Shadows were up to it and shouldn't go with him on that tour. But Cliff insisted saying The Shadows were his sound. DPM :D
damart

Postby Pedro » 03 Jan 2010, 23:10

damart wrote:I think it's true to say that Cliff always tried to promote The Shadows as much as possible from day one. Such as the early record contract. When he was coming over here to the USA exactly 50 years ago there were people such as Tito Burns who didn't think The Shadows were up to it and shouldn't go with him on that tour. But Cliff insisted saying The Shadows were his sound. DPM :D

Just goes to show what the yanks know about music venturing a comment like that
Pedro

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board