The Shadows Greatest Hits (Stereo) Release Date

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows Greatest Hits (Stereo) Release Date

Postby Monty » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 am

that's what I thought as I've only ever seen the 'Hank Marvin' 1969 solo album on silver box/black label - that 1969 Paul Jones solo album 'Come Into My Music Box' was 'black/silver box' too but in mono & stereo versions, as was Jeff Beck's 'Beck Ola' album, while later 1969 albums were stereo only.

There was another much later Columbia label too - Our local Virgin shop was relocating circa 1988 to larger premises & had a 'clearout' sale to shift stock minus proper covers - CDs & vinyl LPs minus covers were selling for 50 pence each !

I grabbed Beatles, Cat Stevens, & Yes CDs for 50p plus on looking through the 'non sleeve' LPs was surprised to find a stereo 'More Hits - The Shadows' but on a later 'cream' coloured Columbia label with brown lettering and the Columbia title was in the older style of the late fifties - it was a latter day vinyl release being quite thin compared to years ago

this design must have superceeded the seventies 'silver box' design.
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Postby JimN » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Monty wrote:that's what I thought as I've only ever seen the 'Hank Marvin' 1969 solo album on silver box/black label - that 1969 Paul Jones solo album 'Come Into My Music Box' was 'black/silver box' too but in mono & stereo versions, as was Jeff Beck's 'Beck Ola' album, while later 1969 albums were stereo only.
There was another much later Columbia label too - Our local Virgin shop was relocating circa 1988 to larger premises & had a 'clearout' sale to shift stock minus proper covers - CDs & vinyl LPs minus covers were selling for 50 pence each!
I grabbed Beatles, Cat Stevens, & Yes CDs for 50p plus on looking through the 'non sleeve' LPs was surprised to find a stereo 'More Hits - The Shadows' but on a later 'cream' coloured Columbia label with brown lettering and the Columbia title was in the older style of the late fifties - it was a latter day vinyl release being quite thin compared to years ago.
This design must have superceeded the seventies 'silver box' design.

The last occasion on which I am aware that EMI used their right to the (originally, American) Columbia name was with the original (mono-only, jewel-cased) release of the "Cliff" album on CD. It was internationally-numbered CDP 7 48277 2 (with a printed UK-only number of CZ1). Release date for the CD was 1987.

It is possible that EMI used the Columbia imprint for other, later, releases, but I'm not aware of any.

This was about the time that CBS were relinquishing control of their records division to Sony. Perhaps Sony were less inclined to renew the rights of EMI over the Columbia name outside the Americas.

On reflection, the name "Columbia" has obvious American origins, but I can't say that occurred to me back in the days of the green label 45rpm disc. It was something of a surprise, years later, to see a panoramic shot of the Benny Goodman Orchestra circa 1940, playing on a large stage with a huge backdrop of a Columbia 78 rpm record: looking exactly like they used to in the UK, right down to the "Magic Notes" semi-quaver couplet. Of course, Benny's records were released in the UK on the CBS, rather than Columbia, label. OK, I know that the "C" in "CBS" stands for "Columbia", but it still jarred. I had assumed that CBS records were sold under the same imprint in the USA.

But they weren't.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Monty » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:02 pm

One of the last EMI Columbia albums was a Roger Whittaker LP in the early 70's around 1972 or early 73 - Cliff's albums were on EMI circa 1974 with '31st of February Street' & 'Take Me High' etc

I'm a bit vague on that as it's a really 'naff' era of Cliff for me between 1969/70 (after the two singles with Hank) up until M,W, & F produced 'It's Only Me You've Left Behind' then Bruce takes over for 'Miss You Nights' etc circa 1975 when Cliff really 'picked up' again & some great seventies albums resulted ...until after Alan Tarney's produced couple of decent albums circa early 80's...after which I once again lose all interest in Cliff forever trying to be 'young and trendy' besides that nice reunion album he did with The Shads later - so a 'Shads connection' (for me) no matter how slight always seemed to co-incide with the peaks in Cliff's recorded output, even when he did nice songs on his own minus the band....

the stereo 'Cliff's Hit Album' was Columbia SCX 1512 & 'I Love You', 'Theme For A Dream', 'I'm Looking out The Window', 'A Girl Like You' & 'Do You Wanna Dance' were all in true stereo.

I think a Cilla Black LP was still released on Parlophone in early 1973 before she then went onto EMI records

'Studio Two Stereo' Columbia albums by Franck Pourcel & His Orchestra were on Columbia (the last was 'Western' in 1972) however Franck's excellent 'James Bond' Greatest Hits' (1973) was released on EMI Records (Blue EMI 'studio two stereo' as opposed to the more common 'Red' EMI)
Last edited by Monty on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Postby Fenderman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:52 pm

I believe the original Columbia imprint ceased to exist around early 1973 and all acts were absorbed into EMI.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 pm

Fenderman wrote:I believe the original Columbia imprint ceased to exist around early 1973 and all acts were absorbed into EMI.

No, that can't be the case, because EMI issued a "Columbia" CD in 1987 (see above).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:46 pm

There was certainly the occasional release after 1973 but according to Wiki it was no more than a name after then, it was on Wiki so it must be true! :D
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby littlestark » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:21 pm

I have a copy of "The Shadows Greatest Hits" SCX 1522, it has a 2 box EMI Columbia label and has a flip back sleeve (both bottom, top and spine) which matches exactly a mono copy SX 1522 that I bought in 1971 which also has a 2 box EMI Columbia label and flip back sleeve. LP records issued by Columbia in 1974 did not have flip back sleeves, check out "Best of Cliff Vol 2" from 1972. So I am pretty certain the stereo version was issued before 1974. I cannot think that EMI would hold back thousands of albums for 3 years. I am baffled though by the fact that a "stereo" banner was not included on the top of the sleeve. I think that would have been a major selling point!
littlestark

Full Real Name: STEPHEN KIRK

Previous

Return to The Shadows