latest reasonable price echo unit with stored patches

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: latest reasonable price echo unit with stored patches

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 am

Just to say Ecca modded my Eccamatic eTap2HW in recent weeks and the automation kit was added. It makes all the difference where storing your own echo settings are concerned having easy access to these patches and the display is really good and clear.

I also own a Zoom G3x and as Dave says they are great value for money with lots of modelled effects on board and a volume swell pedal which controls many of the effects as well if you want. Lots of options and EQ and amp simulation. Like Dave I did my own echo sets and got great results. The only thing I am not too keen on is the amp simulation as it is not quite as good as say a POD. For £130 approx. it is a serious contender for a budget echo unit. Well made too, not heavy, but light and portable. IOt will run on a set of rechargeable AA batteries as well.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Allclaphands » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 am

There seems to be a lot of a players who have various effect units that say the MagicStomp just as the edge on the
Zooms with EFTP a bit like having a number of guitars there always seems to be a more favoured one to play
I don't think the MagicStomp is made anymore but there are a number of them out there that become available

Pete
Some people like to ROCK, Some people like to ROLL, What do YOU like to do?
Allclaphands

Full Real Name: Peter Bryan

Postby GrahamH » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:13 am

Hi all (especially Dave Robbo I suspect!)

The Zoom G7.1uT became available from Charlie Hall pre-programmed with EFTP just at the right time for me - my original EFTP Quadraverb and Morley volume pedal failed within a few days of each other so it replaced both very neatly.

The general tone of this thread seems to be that the G3X is an improvement on the G7, as well being smaller and lighter. I assume Charlie isn't supplying them pre-programmed, so where would I obtain the patches from and how do you load them into the machine? Though I'm reasonably computer-savvy I'd prefer to "download-and-play" rather than tweaking settings myself.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Graham
GrahamH

Full Real Name: Graham Hamilton

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:28 am

Hi Graham, you're right in your assumption about the G3X being the same as the G71uT but lighter and smaller, but not only that, the echoes are an improvement too.
Let's face it there's a lot more advanced technology involved since the G71uT, but as I have already said, one of my colleagues uses the G71ut and it's one of the best Shadows sounds I have ever heard, so if you're happy with it I wouldn't change. I was aiming at people who were trying to decide on their first machine, rather than changing something that doesn't need fixing. In my case I have been using the Vox Tonelab SE which weighs a ton and is massive. The G3X is a quarter of the size and weighs very little by comparison, yet does the job better as far as echoes are concerned. The Tone lab edges it on amp simulation programmes, but I don't use or need those.
Back when we started with the EFTP stuff it was the Alesis and wasn't cheap. A G3X will cost £130 from SoundsLive or one or two other stores and Charlie Hall has got all the usual EFTP patches you can buy for £80 designed for it. I programmed the patches needed to do a show including about half a dozen essential Shadows patches and offered those for free, should anyone want them. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby neil2726 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:23 pm

How lucky we are these days! Years ago you had to play Shads stuff with just the amps reverb on until you could afford a Copycat or a Vox. No where near the correct echo but it sounded a hundred times better. Other echo units came and went - HH for instance, and I seem to remember you always seemed to leave them on one setting! Of course there may have been a few more around but in those days you had to rely on what your local music shop had in stock, or the Bells catalogue! So much choice today with as near as damn it correct echo settings!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Rick50 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Very good advice, Dave, thank you - I bought a Zoom G3 and have used it successfully for 3 gigs already, great sounds and easy to use. So far, being a rhythm player in a 5 piece covers band, I have used early echo, chorus and flange/vibe patches and have found a usable patch for when I do get to play lead - e.g. "Cavatina" but I am missing the Charlie Hall patches I had in the Magicstomp for lead. I would appreciate it if you would send me the lead patches you have created, please!
regards, Rick :geek:
Rick50

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Rick50 wrote:Very good advice, Dave, thank you - I bought a Zoom G3 and have used it successfully for 3 gigs already, great sounds and easy to use. So far, being a rhythm player in a 5 piece covers band, I have used early echo, chorus and flange/vibe patches and have found a usable patch for when I do get to play lead - e.g. "Cavatina" but I am missing the Charlie Hall patches I had in the Magicstomp for lead. I would appreciate it if you would send me the lead patches you have created, please!
regards, Rick :geek:

Check your mail Rick. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Rick50 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:46 pm

great! thanks, Dave :geek:
Rick50

Postby apachepete » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Dave