Happy birthday to you Hank!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Happy birthday to you Hank!

Postby RayL » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:53 am

Uncle Fiesta has got it right. The registration of a baby's birth is a legal requirement. The passing of each year is a natural physical phenomenon. We are not talking here about a personal secret that would be embarrassing if it was revealed. No harm was meant in the original comment and Hank suffered no ill effects from it. Well said, Uncle Fiesta.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby noelford » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:05 am

Yes, of course we can personally celebrate. But I think what has caused the problem is the title of the topic, which is clearly addressed, personally, to Hank, ('Happy birthday to you Hank') 'and not to members in general.
noelford

Postby neil2726 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am

Maybe in future postings could just remind us that Hank has reached a certain age!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Paul Childs » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

Hank still mentions about his first guitar the Hofner that was his 'Birthday' present? :?

If birthdays aren't celebrated then it saves the expense of presents. :lol:
Paul Childs

Postby iefje » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 pm

neil2726 wrote:Maybe in future postings could just remind us that Hank has reached a certain age!

That's possible, but it would still refer to Hank's birthday, which in the opinion of some forum members, I shouldn't have mentioned. My guess (and it's just my guess) is that Hank wouldn't mind if people refer to his birthday, even if he himself doesn't celebrate and recognises it (from 1973 onwards that is). If anyone else's opinion here is the opposite, fair enough, but that's not how I look at it.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Somewhat ironically, the Daily Telegraph, in its 'today's birthdays' column, includes Hank's details every year, whereas Bruce is never listed on 2nd November. :(

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Moderne » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:19 pm

Hank Marvin is much better known to the general public than Bruce Welch. I guess they'd say they've got to draw the line somewhere... ;)
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Moderne wrote:Hank Marvin is much better known to the general public than Bruce Welch. I guess they'd say they've got to draw the line somewhere... ;)

Indeed! It seems, though, that longevity, in career terms at least, perhaps counts for little in the case of some individuals!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Paul Childs » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:35 pm

During the 1981 tour at the Cornwall Coliseum, I can't remember the exact date now but I think it was between Hank's & Bruce's Birthdays which are only five days apart, Bruce said on stage, ''In (whatever) day's time we'll both be 40.'' So Bruce mentioned it with Hank there.
Paul Childs

Postby drakula63 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:37 pm

I've seen Bruce mentioned with regards his birthday in other papers.

About 20 years ago, my local paper at the time (I shan't say which one to save them from embarrassment) printed a birthday notice for John Rostill on what would have been his birthday - 16th June. I wrote to the newspaper in question and pointed at that he had been dead for about twenty years. They wrote back thanking me and assuring me that they would not make that mistake again. Obviously I am guessing that it was highly unlikely that John's widow or any other member of his family would be reading that paper, but I thought it best to mention it.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows