"New" (2014) Brian Bennett CD

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Brian Bennett CD

Postby iefje » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi Phil, thank you very much for the information! I am slightly disappointed to learn that Brian did not play on these recordings though. The two albums "Drama Montage" and "Drama Montage Volume 2" have been released on a double CD in 2014, credited to Brian, although he doesn't play on it. What about the 1990 CD "Airscapes", I thought he did play on that. What about recordings made for Themes Records, Noise Pump and Music House, did Brian play on those?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby alewis41 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Hey Phil,

It's good to hear from you on this board again. You always have such great Brian Bennett info.

Cheers,

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:23 am

George Geddes wrote:Sorry to hear about Duncan Lamont. Sat next to him at the KPM gig last year and he was very frail. Could still tell a story or two when it was his turn on stage, though he did not play.

RIP

George

Indeed, I hadn't previously heard. I love Duncan's Frank Sinatra story in the Herald obit.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby MarcAlex » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 am

Ludwig wrote:The drummer on these Bruton albums was Harold Fisher.
I recall Brian Bennett telling me this back when they were recorded and I also confirmed it with him again when the CDs were released in 2014.

The process was diferent at Bruton to KPM in that Brian would write, arrange and conduct his music with muscians assembled by Bruton - he didn't play on his own pieces.

My ears also tell me it isn't Brian playing drums on Drama Montage - both stylically and the drum sound. Back then Harold was using a Silver Sonor multi concert tom kit for the "Hal Blaine" esc fills- very simailr to the one Graham Jarvis played.

Back in 1980 a lot of the guys who worked for Bruton got together for a live concert which was recorded but not commercially released.

The line-up was:

Woodwind: Ron Aspery, Harry Gold, George Hamer, Andrew Jackman, Duncan Lamont.

Brass: Jack Dorsey, Alec Gould, Richard Hill, Graham Walker, Derek Wadsworth.

Guitars: George Fenton, Richie Hitchcock, Paul Keogh, Irvin Martin, Terry Taylor, Brian Whitehouse.

Keyboards: Trevor Bastow, John Cameron, John A. Coleman, Peter Cork, Brian Dee, Steve Gray, Leslie Pearson.

Drums: Harold Fisher.

Bass: Simon Benson, John Fiddy, Dave Richmond.

Percussion: Eric Allen, Jim Lawless, Frank Ricotti.

Harp: David Snell.

Violin: Don Harper.

Cymbalom: John Leach.

Sadly Duncan Lamont passed away, last month, aged 87 after a very long career:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/17772393.obituary-duncan-lamont-world-renowned-saxophonist-songwriter-bandleader/

Regards,
Phil

Mate do you know what Sonor series that was? I saw the silver kit in a clip. Was it a Phonic kit?
MarcAlex

Full Real Name: Marc Alexander Nathaniel

Previous

Return to The Shadows