Tafetta Rose- Macarthur Park.

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Tafetta Rose- Macarthur Park.

Postby captainhaddock » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:29 pm

I don't know how many of you saw this on e-bay ? . According to the seller this was a demo single from 1970 on the Columbia label. It was written by Jerry Lordan and Hank Marvin, arranged by Brian Bennett and produced by Bruce Welch. The track was a vocal and sounded somewhat similar to the Shadows' vocals of the late 60's. I have not heard of this records existence until now and am not likely to hear it yet as I failed in my bid to purchase it,. So does anyone have any further info about it and any idea as to who Macarthur Park were ?, over to you.....
captainhaddock

Re: Tafetta Rose- Macarthur Park.

Postby Mark Daniels » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi,

All I know that the demo was under the name Macarther park, but when it was released the band was renamed Brotherly love, who also released another single in 71 titled

The Carousel of life written by John Rostill.

But who played on these i don't know.
Attachments
taffeta rose 2_2.jpg
taffeta rose 2_2.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
taffeta rose - Copy_2.jpg
taffeta rose - Copy_2.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
taffeta rose_2.jpg
taffeta rose_2.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 7953 times

Mark
Mark Daniels

Full Real Name: Mark Daniels

Postby UlrichS » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:16 pm

captainhaddock wrote:I don't know how many of you saw this on e-bay ? . According to the seller this was a demo single from 1970 on the Columbia label. It was written by Jerry Lordan and Hank Marvin, arranged by Brian Bennett and produced by Bruce Welch. The track was a vocal and sounded somewhat similar to the Shadows' vocals of the late 60's. I have not heard of this records existence until now and am not likely to hear it yet as I failed in my bid to purchase it,. So does anyone have any further info about it and any idea as to who Macarthur Park were ?, over to you.....

Philip,

Only the demo record of this single was credited to MacArthur Park, the regular release had Brotherly Love a artist. There is a second single credited to Brotherly Love: "The Carousel Of Love" b/w "Happy Without You". I have attached scans of all six labels where you can get the details.
Unfortunately I know nothing else about who is playing on these tracks, sorry.

Hope this is of help.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby UlrichS » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Sorry Mark, you were faster. I had to scan the labels first.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Postby Arpeggio » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks Mark. Thanks Ulrich. During 1970 / 71 when the Shadows were unsure as to what do in the long term thay were trying their respective hands at writing, arranging, producng etc., etc - then Marvin / Welch / Farrar - appearances on Cliff's TV series and the eventual Shadows' reformation swept all of this away. I can't recall exactly who MacArthur Park / Brotherly were either.

Bests...Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby captainhaddock » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Many thanks to Ulrich, Mark and Rob for replying to my query. I thought that I knew of nearly everything Shadows related in terms of recordings, strangely I am pleased to find that I don't as it gives me something to look for if there are to be no more Shadows releases in the future. The single on e-bay made £32.75, was I correct in stopping my bidding or have I lost my chance of securing a long lost gem.?
captainhaddock

Postby Arpeggio » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:06 pm

I've never heard the record. It's one of those items which is incredibly rare - but which 'big - time' collectors don't go for - it's not listed as being a rare / collectable record in the definitive "Record Collector Price Guide" for example.. I can only say that it doesn't come up for sale very often - therefore it all depends on just how much someone is prepared to pay in order to obtain a copy. To my knowledge it's never been issued anywhere on CD either.

Bests...Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby UlrichS » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:21 pm

I can only second what Rob already wrote. I did not pay that much for my copies. If a seller wouldn't know about the realation to the Shadows and would not mention it in the item description you might get a copy for the starting bid. I would suggest to search for both, artist and title, to trace a copy on eBay.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Postby Moderne » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Taffeta Rose is quite a good song in a late 60s/early70s "Love grows..." type way. John Rostill's "Carousel of Life" is also a good song although rather poignant bearing in mind what happened to John. The Spaghetti Junction "Works Nice - if you can get it" single - essentially a Hank demo from 1972 - is another interesting Shadows rarity worth acquiring. Not "That Sound" though!!

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Interesting seller location on that eBay auction:

Item location: radlett, Hertford, United Kingdom
;)

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next