The Drifters on The Carroll Levis Talent Show

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Drifters on The Carroll Levis Talent Show

Postby ash » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:56 pm

JimN wrote:Oh, yes... sorry... misread that as 1958...

Surely there'd be something about it in the Lewry/Goodall book IF it were The Drifters of Cliff Richard and Shadows fame?

Do you mean The Complete Chronicle Book ? I've got the "new updated edition" from 1995 and was not impressed. The blurb says "Combining a daily account of his professional activity from 1958 with detailed information on every live date, recording session and broadcast, this book traces Cliff's place on the UK music scene since his record debut with "Move It". It contains over 250 illustrations, some never seen before."
Yes it does score heavily for the studio details but a couple of afternoons with 1950s and 60s music papers demonstrates that the live show aspect is not well covered at all and working from memory i don't think all the radio and tv shows were in there either. It is missing scores of concerts in the first two years (1958/9) alone.
In my experience if it says "Complete" it is usually nothing of the sort - The Complete Dusty Springfield BBC Sessions, The Complete Animals, The Complete Johnny Kidd and The Pirates etc. and that's a complete list :)
ash

Postby Fenderman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 pm

A really interesting thread, it amazes me that all these years later we still pick out these little snippets of info (although this one is certainly up for debate!).
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby ash » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 pm

I think there's still a lot out there to find out and listen to. I still haven't heard Radio Luxembourg tracks like Mystery Train or a Jet era BBC version of Wonderful Land for starters. There must be a few more bits and bobs out there in private collections too. Fact is that the Shads/Cliff crowd are not as batshit crazy as Dylan, Fab4, Brian Wilson,Hendrix fans etc. so a lot of this kind of thing doesn't surface. I did mention this show to Rob Bradford a while back but he doesn't post too frequently. He did say there's nothing in the Shads bbc file about this and he's right (of course!). While retaining huge amounts of paperwork, stuff has gone missing or been misplaced over the years at BBC Written Archive.
I cannot prove one way or the other that this is THE Drifters or just The Drifters. The choice of song is very surprising ...maybe they were asked to play it...who knows..i am leaning heavily towards the "it's not them" side but i simply cannot prove it %100...without firm documentation it's a tough one.
when i first saw the cast list i thought wow, an unresearched show. when i saw the programme/song listing i thought, that's strange maybe it's not them after all.
Anyway, thanks for all your input guys.
Has anyone done a Cliff/Drifters/Shads day-by-day guide ? I'd be very interested to see something like that along with an audio guide to all released and unreleased studio/radio/tv/concert recordings ? I did start researching one for the Jet Harris era a year or two ago but i got sidetracked and ended up going back to an older music project. Would anyone here be interested in such a thing ?
ash

Postby JimN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:21 pm

I wonder who and what the Falkman Apache Band was?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Martin Page » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:45 pm

JimN wrote:I wonder who and what the Falkman Apache Band was?

http://www.turnipnet.com/mom/lionelfalkman.htm
Martin Page

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:49 am

Martin Page wrote:

That's a wonderful page, Martin.

Belle Of The Ball has always been a favourite, and I remember the time when the BBC employed musicians and arrangers, rather than over-paying personality presenters to play records (or have them played for them).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby ecca » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:38 am

Did anyone tape the morning story ?

'The screaming idol of Gutramaya'.
ecca

Postby Martin Page » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:47 am

JimN wrote:
Martin Page wrote:

That's a wonderful page, Martin.

Belle Of The Ball has always been a favourite, and I remember the time when the BBC employed musicians and arrangers, rather than over-paying personality presenters to play records (or have them played for them).

page, Martin? - I saw what you did there Jim...
Martin Page

Postby ash » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:00 am

JimN wrote: ... and I remember the time when the BBC employed musicians and arrangers, rather than over-paying personality presenters to play records (or have them played for them).

It is very noticeable that with the advent of Radio 1 (perhaps as a response to Pirate Radio/Radio Luxembourg) that the pop music shows are named after the DJ's rather than programme titles. Even Saturday Club for example became Keith Skues ......presenting Saturday Club. I think Top Gear was also billed this way.
ash

Postby UlrichS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:58 pm

ash wrote:... Has anyone done a Cliff/Drifters/Shads day-by-day guide ? I'd be very interested to see something like that along with an audio guide to all released and unreleased studio/radio/tv/concert recordings ? ...

Hi ash,

Heinz M. Rolli (chronikman-ch in this forum) has made a Shadows day-by-day guide but to my knowledge it is not published (yet?). I have seen a small part of it at one of the meetings in Tilburg and was very impressed.

I have tried to get a complete concert guide of all public appearances of the Shads, with/without Cliff and solo, but over here from Germany it is quite a hard task without having access to the archives of NME or MM. I am still struggling but have given up the hope to have it complete one day. Unfortunately I could not find any other maniac like me so that we could combine forces.

A list of radio and tv performances has been started some time ago in this forum but I don't know what came out of it.

In my opinion the problem is that many people want to have those lists but very few are willing to contribute. I will give it a try and start a new thread with the idea to get as much details as possible about the Shadows in concert. Let's wait and see.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows