MARY OF PETER, PAUL & MARY R.I.P.

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

MARY OF PETER, PAUL & MARY R.I.P.

Postby RalphG » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:50 am

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary fame has died after years of battling against cancer. She was still bravely performing in a wheelchair at concerts with the others earlier this year.

Peter, Paul and Mary had major international hits with the likes of "Blowin' In The Wind", "If I Had A Hammer", "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?" and "Leaving On A Jet Plane."
RalphG

Re: MARY OF PETER, PAUL & MARY R.I.P.

Postby tonykiek » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:35 am

A very sad day indeed, but we will always rejoice in their music and Mary's wonderful and powerful voice in particular which will live on forever. They created a genre of music that we grew up with and will always treasure.

Tony K.
tonykiek

Full Real Name: Tony Kiek

Re: MARY OF PETER, PAUL & MARY R.I.P.

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Another sad loss to theworld of popular music. As one website comment says - Peter, Paul and Mary were easy targets to pillory / parody. Yet their music had a direct honesty and openness about it. I used to love P, P & Mary when I was a youngster. They were fine musicians and singers & (in days gone by) Mary Travers was stunning with her long blond hair flowing freely. There is much, much more to Peter Paul & Mary than "Puff The Magic Dragon" (which both my young daughters loved as small children growing up in the 1980s, 1990s respectively) as their many albums testify. Their version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane" remains a haunting classic - ditto "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?" Mary Travers did a tremendous amount for human rights & championing the oppressed too - withut receiving the same amount of recognition as Joan Baez. Though seriously ill - she continued to perform (although wheelchair - bound) until May of this year. Truly an inspirational woman.

RIP Mary
Rob B. :(
Arpeggio

Return to The Shadows