Terry Webster with Jet

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Terry Webster with Jet

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:21 pm

Just come across the website of Terry Webster who played bass with Jet in the Jetblacks in the early days. There are some interesting recollections, including being part of the Little Richard/Sam Cooke UK tour in October 1962, during which I saw Jet live (complete with Fender Bass VI) for the first and only time at the local Granada...

https://terrywebster.co.uk/jet-harris-some-people/

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Terry Webster with Jet

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Interesting variation in the facts as we generally believe them to be. If Jet was thinking of leaving the Shads in Summer 1961 he certainly didn't act on it, waiting until Spring 1962 before doing so. I wonder whether Terry Webster has revealed some previously unreported discontent or if he's simply remembered the dates wrongly?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Yes, with many of these retrospective sites, you probably need to keep an open mind as to what may be actual fact or otherwise.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby anniv 63 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:31 pm

An interesting read, but possibly some errors after 50 odd years is understandable.
I would thought that Jet at the time being contracted to Decca as a solo artist would
not have returned to Abbey Road to record vocal overdubs with Jack Good.?
Maybe this was IBC , Decca West Hampstead, or even at Joe Meek's Holloway Road,
where he had done some early solo tests?
As for the group The Niteshades mentioned as a possible new band for Jet at the time,
there does appear to band of the same name that issued 2 singles on the CBS label in
Jet himself didn't mention much about the Jetblacks era, so information on this period
is always good to hear .

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Amen to the Abbey Road thought.

Jet would have used the Decca facility at (the admittedly, quite nearby) Broadhurst Gardens.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby webstarsmusic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:04 am

Interesting to read comments about my period as bass player for Jet Harris and that my facts on my website are maybe distorted.

You would find Cliff and the Shadows played for a season at the Opera House in Blackpool in 1961. I had inside knowledge at that time that Jet was to leave the Shadows shortly after. It was in my interests to keep schtum as I had an opportunity to be involved with the new band he had in mind called Nite sounds (Not the Night shades) who were based in London. Sax man John Puddy was the band leader. After I joined the band John Puddy was fired and a new line up formed re named The Jetblacks.
This was all kept secret to give Jet time to pursue his new recording career with Jack Good and also rehearse the band. Besame Mucho was his first hit with Jack in May 1962.
I have to admit to not being sure about the departure date from The Shadows and find it could have been April 1962. From that summer of '61 there was lots going on behind the scenes.
I do know the recording overdub of 'Some People' released in August 1962 was at a famous EMI studio in St Johns Wood and not at Decca in West Hampstead as I did record there with Tony Meehan at a later date. It definitely was not Joe Meek's studio as I went there for the first time in'64.
Jack Good may have used Abbey Road for convenience being just a quick overdub session for the film 'Some People'. I recorded two singles at Abbey Road as Tony Brook in 1964.
Yes 50 odd years is a long time......
All the best guys. Rock on!

Terry Webster www.terrywebster.co.uk
webstarsmusic

Postby anniv 63 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks to Terry for the correction update on this period.
We hear so many different versions of events, so its nice to hear from
someone who was actually there and involved at the time.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Great stuff. Jet definitely did do some clandestine rehearsing at 304 Holloway Road. He told me that himself and it was corroborated by both Tony Meehan and Big Jim Sullivan. Big Jim, of course, did lots of RGM sessions snd Tony NMeehan had a soell with Joe Meek befire joining Decca.
Arpeggio

Postby webstarsmusic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:10 pm

Saxophonist Chris Hughes on his Epicure website remembers that our rehearsals with Jet and Tony prior to Tony going on the road with Jet was at The Roebuck, in Tottenham Court Road. Being a northerner the name had faded from my memory although the upstairs rehearsal room has not.

Terry W
webstarsmusic

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:22 am

I suspect that the Holloway Road scenario was to do with leading up to Jet's first recording session /s with Decca. Big Jim Sullivan and Tony Meehan played on Jet's early singles. Jet definitely played on Besame Mucho and Man With The Golden Arm, but it was Big Jim who showed him how to get he best out of the Fender VI. All of this has also been confirmed by Charkes Blackwell, who also worked for both Decca and Joe Meek. As far as I am aware, the Jetblacks did not feature on Jet 's Decca recordings, but Terry could doubtless tell us more.
Arpeggio

Next

Return to The Shadows