The Shadows' demo recordings

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' demo recordings

Postby Shadnor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Leo's Den had also an 8" double sided acetate by Bruce for sale on E-bay:

Title: SOMETIMES, NOW AND THEN / MY MIND'S MADE UP

This 8" double sided acetate by BRUCE has him demo'ing his original compositions - "SOMETIMES NOW AND THEN" and "MY MINDS MADE UP" - simply Bruce & acoustic guitar. Although surface shows wear and tear, this has excellent repro for a Demo record - the quality of Bruce's voice and guitar is stunning. We think that because of the source of this record, it was submitted to Cliff with a view to his recording one of these titles. As far as we know these tracks have never been released by either Bruce Welch,The Shadows, or Sir Cliff.  Someone has written in pencil on the label - incorrectly spelt - Bruce Welsh (sic) - see picture.

Leo's Den.
Attachments
Sometimes Now And Then-My Mind's Made Up-UK-acet-8inch-laba1b.jpg
(153.54 KiB) Downloaded 6433 times
Sometimes Now And Then-My Mind's Made Up-UK-acet-8inch-labb1b.jpg
(110.44 KiB) Downloaded 6433 times
Shadnor

Postby Shadnor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Leo's Den had also the following acetates by Hank on sale on E-bay:

1: Title: MARIE
This 7" Emidisc Advision one-sided acetate of "The Day I Met Marie" was written by Hank and this particular acetate was submitted to Cliff to consider for recording. Hank double tracks the vocal, and voice-sounds replace the brass instruments as used by Cliff in his final single recording. Label just states 'Marie' (written in ink). It's amazing how close this demo is to Cliff's version.

Leo's Den.

2: Title: VIRGINIA
Hank Marvin and Paul Ferris got together to write this song called "VIRGINIA" - not sure of the year but most likely to be the late 60's. They produced this 7" vocal demo acetate at the Advision Studios in London and submitted it to Cliff with a view to his recording it. As far as we know he never did. An excellent song with echoes of a folk song and publisher shown as Shadows Music.

Leo's Den.
Attachments
Marie-UK-single sided acetate-lab1b.jpg
(150.83 KiB) Downloaded 6431 times
Virginia-UK-single sided 7inch acetate-lab1b.jpg
(137.28 KiB) Downloaded 6431 times
Shadnor

Postby Shadnor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Here's some other acetates.

1. Title; MONDAY COMES TOO SOON - Single sided acetate Jerry Lordan and Hank B. Marvin

2. Title; TOKYO GUITAR - Single sided acetate Hank B. Marvin
Attachments
Monday Comes Too Soon-UK-single side acetate-lab.jpg
(79.48 KiB) Downloaded 6430 times
Tokyo Guitar-UK-Acetate-a-lab1b.jpg
(157.24 KiB) Downloaded 6430 times
Shadnor

Postby donna plasky » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:41 pm

iefje wrote:I know of the existence of a couple of demo recordings by Hank Marvin. He has made acetates of "Throw Down A Line", "Love, Truth And Emily Stone", "Monday Comes Too Soon" and "The Dreams I Dream". There is also one in existence by Hank and Bruce called "Take Special Care". Does anyone know if members of The Shadows made any other demo recordings of their compositions and has anyone here heard them?

Hello. I happened to find this demo on YouTube and thought I'd share it. It is Hank demonstrating, "Love, Truth and Emily Stone."

Cheers,
Donna

donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Postby negninegaw » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:14 pm

wow, really terrible...
negninegaw

Full Real Name: Van Wageningen

Postby Derek Mowbray » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:57 pm

I have heard that The Shadows don`t want unreleased material to be published ,I have heard of a track called Groaning and other tracks .I don`t think they were happy with The Abbey Road album.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby Fenderman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:20 pm

I think calling it terrible is too harsh. It's not bad, it has a dreamy late 60's feel to it.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby StuartD » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:43 am

Love Truth and Emily Stone is a very good song when taken in the context of it's era. Cliff's version is superb with some great fills from Hank.

I understand it was going to be a Cliff and Hank single but was not released and made it's way onto Tracks and Grooves.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby iefje » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 pm

StuartD wrote:Love Truth and Emily Stone is a very good song when taken in the context of it's era. Cliff's version is superb with some great fills from Hank.

I understand it was going to be a Cliff and Hank single but was not released and made it's way onto Tracks and Grooves.

Regards

Stuart

I have always found it strange that Hank wasn't credited on the album sleeve of "Track 'N Grooves" for his contribution on "Love, Truth And Emily Stone".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby StuartD » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm

iefje wrote:
StuartD wrote:Love Truth and Emily Stone is a very good song when taken in the context of it's era. Cliff's version is superb with some great fills from Hank.

Regards

Stuart

I have always found it strange that Hank wasn't credited on the album sleeve of "Track 'N Grooves" for his contribution on "Love, Truth And Emily Stone".

Me too. Can't understand it

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows