The Shadows' demo recordings

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shadows' demo recordings

Postby iefje » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 am

I know of the existence of a couple of demo recordings by Hank Marvin. He has made acetates of "Throw Down A Line", "Love, Truth And Emily Stone", "Monday Comes Too Soon" and "The Dreams I Dream". There is also one in existence by Hank and Bruce called "Take Special Care". Does anyone know if members of The Shadows made any other demo recordings of their compositions and has anyone here heard them?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: The Shadows' demo recordings

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:47 am

A few...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm

I'd love to hear those demos as some never made it past that stage but these are with private collectors and they are unlikely to part with them.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Shadnor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Some years back I got some unique instrumantal items by The Shadows from a friend. The titles are :

Memories of You
Blues in an unfurnished flat.

I did also get some items with Krew Kats, amongst one called "Liquorice" with a very brilliant bass playing by Brian Lockering.
I take it that's why the title of this tune.

By the way; there was also a "Take 2" of Guitar Tango. I do not know if this has ever been released.
Shadnor

Postby Fenderman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

There's also the story of an unfinished track called 'Life on Mars' which i don't think has been heard outside The Shadows circle but possibly still lies in the Abbey Road vaults.
Fenderman

Postby drakula63 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:11 pm

...that'll be their version of the David Bowie song.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Shadnor » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:46 pm

In October 2005, Leo's Den had some John Rostill acetate items for sale on E-bay.

1. Title: MRS 54
Original John Rostill composition demo for full group. He plays on this demo on bass. 7" acetate. The label says SHADOWS MUSIC, which is printed in dark blue and it has, apart from title "MRS.54" and JOHN ROSTILL, the original address and telephone number. We cannot find any trace that this was ever released and we think it was submitted to Cliff Richard with a view to his recording it..

Leo's Den

2. Title: Such A Shame
"Such a Shame" is 7" Emidisc acetate of John demo'ing his own song. Original acetate does not mention John but it comes with a typed lyric and 'John Rostill' handwritten in ink in the top corner. The Shadows Music Ltd. is handstamped with the original Savile Row address and phone number. On the label the title is handwritten plus the group name Knowbody Nose - sounds very Shadows tongue in cheek humour.

Leo's Den.
Attachments
Such a Shame-UK-acetate-John Rostill-lyrics1b.jpg
(111.91 KiB) Downloaded 9951 times
Such a Shame-UK-acetate-John Rostill-lab1b.jpg
(158.51 KiB) Downloaded 9951 times
Mrs 54-UK-single sided 7inch acetate-lab1b.jpg
(184.81 KiB) Downloaded 9951 times
Shadnor

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Fantastic. These are just the kind of things that really should be copied and released on CD.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:43 am

Shadnor wrote:... I did also get some items with Krew Kats, amongst one called "Liquorice" with a very brilliant bass playing by Brian Lockering.
I take it that's why the title of this tune.
By the way; there was also a "Take 2" of Guitar Tango. I do not know if this has ever been released.

A version of Licorice was released on the Italian Fremus 'Atlantis' album. It's a slow, bluesy harmonica number played by Brian Locking for a Shadows show on Radio Luxembourg. The quality is 'off air', so not suitable for proper release but it could easily have been done again if they had wanted to.
There is another earlier version of Guitar Tango which has not been released (although it has escaped!). It came from a recording session just before Jet left so he is on bass, not Licorice. It's not quite good enough for release: there's a mistake or two and the arrangement is not in its final form. Interesting though.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Fenderman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 pm

It's always intersting you hear songs unfinished as it gives you an insight into their writing process.
I wonder how much the John Rostill demo went for? I guess it's one of a kind so probably went for quite a sum.
Fenderman

Next

Return to The Shadows