Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows' demo recordings

Postby bgohara » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm

well, as long as he got paid..
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Refs: The Shadows At Abbey Road.......Hank, Brian & Jet (who was still alive at the time) were all perfectly OK with the CD. Bruce most definitely was not!!!! Bruce is fiercely proud of the Shadows' recorded legacy / reputation. Essentially, it is his strongly held belief that any unreleased material was unreleased for very good reasons. Bruce's 'Quality Control Threshold' is very, very high. Generally speaking, he does not approve of any previously unreleased material being issued...on the grounds that most (if not all) of it is (in his opinion) 'substandard'.
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby Mark Daniels » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Last edited by Mark Daniels on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark
Mark Daniels

Full Real Name: Mark Daniels

Postby UlrichS » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Mark Daniels wrote:One Sided Acetate containing the following 6 tracks:

"BOMBAY DUCK, MARY ANNE, LITTLE BITTY TEAR, GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME, FOOT TAPPER, SHADOOGIE"

so I would imagine there is another Acetate out there somewhere with side two..

Seems to be part of the concerts from the Shadows' Japan concerts from June 1967:

1967-06 Jap.jpg
concert programme
1967-06 Jap.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 6022 times

Shazam! / Dance On! / Don’t Make My Baby Blue / Let It Be Me / Apache / Nivram / In The Mood / Bombay Duck / Mary Anne / A Little Bitty Tear / Green, Green Grass Of Home / Foot Tapper / Shadoogie / Spring Is Nearly Here / The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt / Somewhere / Big 'B' / F.B.I.

19.06.1967 - Shizuoka/Japan / 20.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan / 21.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan / 22.06.1967 - Yokohama/Japan / 23.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan / 24.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan / 26.06.1967 - Osaka/Japan / 27.06.1967 - Toyama/Japan / 29.06.1967 - Nagoya/Japan

More interesting is that there seems to be a recording at least of one of these concerts.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby johnc » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:31 am

Arpeggio wrote:Refs: The Shadows At Abbey Road.......Hank, Brian & Jet (who was still alive at the time) were all perfectly OK with the CD. Bruce most definitely was not!!!! Bruce is fiercely proud of the Shadows' recorded legacy / reputation. Essentially, it is his strongly held belief that any unreleased material was unreleased for very good reasons. Bruce's 'Quality Control Threshold' is very, very high. Generally speaking, he does not approve of any previously unreleased material being issued...on the grounds that most (if not all) of it is (in his opinion) 'substandard'.

So was his opinion a significant part of the reason that it took almost 40 years for the superb live Kingston 1962 album to finally be released? Or was it the record company/producer or the Shadows management?

IMHO, if that live album had been released in say, mid 1962, it would have been a number 1 album , made them all a lot of money, and pleased all their fans (consumers) and increased their popularity etc...questionable decision? I doubt that Cliff and the Shads fans and record and concert ticket buyers back then would have noticed a few minor audio issues etc - they were mainly young people, not older hi-fi audio experts and enthusiasts etc.
johnc

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 am

I played in a rock’n’roll band for 20 years. We made two fairly decent CDs and attempted a third but took it no further because we thought it wasn’t good enough. Our decision. Would I want those attempts published now?
Going way back, when I was a student I wrote some songs and made loads of self-recordings. I remember some of it was OK and lots more was not up to par. My par, nobody else’s. That stuff is mine and I have no desire to inflict it on anyone else. Suppose somebody found one of those tapes and thought that their very existence should make them public property? Would I agree?
I share the fascination with obscure Shadows material but I also see how people judge the official stuff. Comments like “They shouldn’t have done this or that” are all over this forum.
Publish it and you have to take the knocks or the sales figures. Must be a bit wearing at times.
Don’t publish it and surely it should end there.
I’m with Bruce. It’s his stuff. He is entitled to decide its fate.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Fenderman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm not sure Bruce had a say in the Kingston show being released at the time, the liner notes state the theory that Norrie thought it wasn't up to par, and it was quietly dropped. The notes also mention that the tapes are slightly damaged but on closer inspection i can't hear any issues (possibly cleaned up for the CD issue).
I like the show as it's the first live recording of Brian Bennett but sadly Jet's last.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby JimN » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Fenderman wrote:I'm not sure Bruce had a say in the Kingston show being released at the time, the liner notes state the theory that Norrie thought it wasn't up to par, and it was quietly dropped. The notes also mention that the tapes are slightly damaged but on closer inspection i can't hear any issues (possibly cleaned up for the CD issue).

The improvements which can be made today, within the digital domain and even on a mac or PC at home, would have seemed like witchcraft in 1962.

Dropouts on tape are easily repaired and quite imperceptible. Wrong notes can be replaced with the right note taken from a reiteration of the passage from elsewhere in the recording. Distortion can be reduced via various restoration techniques, especially by averaging, and stray clicks and pops are readily excised.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:28 pm

It's amazing what can be done these days but i prefer old recordings to be left alone.
A prime example is the 50th anniversary of The Beatles White Album - why remix what George and the boys sweated over for 6 months to get sounding the way they wanted it? It's as if they're trying to change history. I also heard a couple of mellotron parts were actually re-recorded due to problems during the remix. This is nothing short of sacrilege :o
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Uncleboko » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Fenderman wrote:It's amazing what can be done these days but i prefer old recordings to be left alone.
A prime example is the 50th anniversary of The Beatles White Album - why remix what George and the boys sweated over for 6 months to get sounding the way they wanted it? It's as if they're trying to change history. I also heard a couple of mellotron parts were actually re-recorded due to problems during the remix. This is nothing short of sacrilege :o

I can't agree, I think the mere fact that Paul gave the OK for release is good enough for me. I would love to hear some of the Burns era recordings with Burns replaced by Strat!!!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows