Reunion - Cliff - how arrogant

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Reunion - Cliff - how arrogant

Postby suboA21 » 01 Jan 2010, 15:55

Hi All

I haven't been on for a while so maybe this has been covered already.

Like many I got the Reunion DVD for Christmas. As I stand doing the ironing and watching it ( yes I am a new man!!!), I a was struck by Cliff's arrogance when talking about "HIS" 1st number one Living Doll.

It wasn't just his 1st number one, I believed he had a backing band and the single was credited to Cliff Richard AND The Drifters (Shadows) so it was'nt just HIS he should be saying OUR!!!!!

Also, let's not forget it was Bruce (as ever) who even at 18 years old had an ear for a hit by suggesting to Norry Paramour the producer the tempo should be changed to what we now know as Living Doll - a Country beat not the rocker it was in the film Serious Charge........

if you saw the Paul O'Grady interview with the guy's before Christmas, Hank's body language was intriguing once Cliff started to dominate the conversation.........

Sorry for those Cliff fans, I got into the Shads via being a Cliff fan from age 4 (1959), but have grown up now and realise what a big head Cliff seems to have become in the media !!!

Steve
suboA21

Re: Reunion - Cliff - how arrogant

Postby StuartD » 01 Jan 2010, 16:14

Get over it. Life's too short to have a chip on your shoulder.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Postby Didier » 01 Jan 2010, 17:36

suboA21 wrote:It wasn't just his 1st number one, I believed he had a backing band and the single was credited to Cliff Richard AND The Drifters (Shadows) so it was'nt just HIS he should be saying OUR!!!!!
Also, let's not forget it was Bruce (as ever) who even at 18 years old had an ear for a hit by suggesting to Norry Paramour the producer the tempo should be changed to what we now know as Living Doll - a Country beat not the rocker it was in the film Serious Charge........

True, not forgetting Hank's fabulous solo !

Didier
Didier

Postby Pedro » 01 Jan 2010, 17:56

Perhaps he can find some solace in most of the reviews readily report that The Shadows stole the show on each occasion. Cliff is a great artist and it is no use being bitter towards him.
Pedro

Postby Alan Prudhoe » 01 Jan 2010, 18:04

I'm with you Steve.
I can't bear to watch him any more.
Alan Prudhoe

Postby chas » 01 Jan 2010, 21:07

I never noticed that when I watched the dvd - come to that, I don't recall whether he said anything similar at the two concerts I attended. I wouldn't have thought he meant to be arrogant, I would think he's so used to saying something like that ('my rather than 'our') on so many of his 'solo' tours/interviews of recent times, that he probably said it accidently - just a slip. He always comes across to me as quite non-arrogant. And always seems to be a team player with The Shads. I'm not arguing his case, it's just how it strikes me...

Best wishes to everyone for 2010,
Chas
chas

Postby stratmantd » 01 Jan 2010, 21:44

If you want something more to bash Cliff with, after Please Don't Tease he said "Was I ever knocked off no. 1 by The Shadows? Yes, I was, with this one, and quite rightly so." Apache.

Is it not the case that Cliff had the contract and The Shadows were on wages at the time? If so, perhaps they were lucky to even get a credit on the record.

I can't think of anyone who has spoken of their singles with The Ladybirds but they got credited on an awful lot of hit singles.

Having a go at Cliff for a few remarks which nobody cared about at the concerts (or did I miss the cries of "shame on you, get it right"?) is really a non-starter.
stratmantd

Postby dewitteluchendrik » 01 Jan 2010, 21:53

with Apache The Shadows did better than Cliff Richard.
dewitteluchendrik

Postby Hank2k » 01 Jan 2010, 22:55

chas wrote:I never noticed that when I watched the dvd - come to that, I don't recall whether he said anything similar at the two concerts I attended. I wouldn't have thought he meant to be arrogant, I would think he's so used to saying something like that ('my rather than 'our') on so many of his 'solo' tours/interviews of recent times, that he probably said it accidently - just a slip. He always comes across to me as quite non-arrogant. And always seems to be a team player with The Shads. I'm not arguing his case, it's just how it strikes me...

Best wishes to everyone for 2010,
Chas

Totally agree
Hank2k

Postby MeBHank » 02 Jan 2010, 01:33

I think Cliff is playing a clever game. He has unwittingly developed a persona that is portrayed through the media as arrogance. At around the turn of the millenium he appeared on the Channel 4 programme TFI Friday and was interviewed by Chris Evans, who, at that time, was at the height of his anti-Cliff campaign. Cliff intentionally played up to every preconception that Evans had about him, deciding not to act as the underdog. I admire that. In other interviews Cliff really has shown his genuine side and more of who he really is, and in the last year or so I have started to respect him more. Cliff speaks his mind, and is not scared of showing that he does have personal interests. I'd rather see that attitude than see others on TV who persistantly try to convey a "holier than thou" attitude.

I personally relate to Cliff quite easily: he has suffered at the hands of those who don't like him and so he is determined not to let them win. He continues working to try to win some favour. And, of course, he simply loves what he does. If he wasn't out to make a number one, he'd stop making music. Similarly, I've worked for the last few years at making sure that my solo guitar act is one of the best in my local area, and I'm glad when people tell me that I've given the best performance they've had at their local pub or club in years. I wouldn't be happy to go out and perform unless I knew that I was going to get that sort of response. I know I'm good at what I do, and, conversely, Cliff knows that he is still the best in the business. I don't think it's arrogance, I think it's pride in doing your job well.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Next

Return to The Main Board