Massachusetts Turnpike

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Massachusetts Turnpike

Postby UlrichS » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Bruce Welch Demo Tape pic 2.jpg
(111.59 KiB) Downloaded 5157 times

If you have a look at the handwriting on this tape box it suggests that a studio recording of "Massachusetts Turnpike" has been made.
What I could find out is that it is a composition by Bruce Welch and John Rostill.
Following the notes in Mike Read's 'The Story Of The Shadows' (p. 207) the song was probably written between John's return from his US tour with Tom Jones in July 1973 and his untimely death in November 1973.
The song was recorded by Des O'Connor for his LP "Another Side Of" (NSPL 18559, 1978), produced by Hank Marvin.

Am I right in presuming that "Massachusetts Turnpike" was planned for a follow-up single for Bruce's "Please Mr. Please"?

Also, I have a note that the Bruce and John composition "Rose, Rose" was recorded by Bruce as an vocal on 17. March 1974 (and later as an instrumental by the Shadows for their LP "Specs Appeal). Should there be some hope that both tracks are there somewhere in the EMI vaults?
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Re: Massachusetts Turnpike

Postby iefje » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Very interesting! Is it certain that Bruce's single "Please Mr. Please"/"Song Of Yesterday" was recorded on or around March the 17th, 1974? Have you heard this recording of "Massachusetts Turnpike"?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby UlrichS » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 pm

iefje wrote:Very interesting! Is it certain that Bruce's single "Please Mr. Please"/"Song Of Yesterday" was recorded on or around March the 17th, 1974? Have you heard this recording of "Massachusetts Turnpike"?

Ivo,
I have no information regarding the recording date of "Please Mr. Please" and "Song Of Yesterday". I only know about "Rose, Rose".

Yes, I have heard "Massachusetts Turnpike". IMHO it is a pity that it has not been released.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby iefje » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:53 am

I think it's a pity Bruce didn't release more of his own songs as a solo artist. This was probably because his one and only single to date did not chart in England. He and John Rostill wrote some great songs during that period, which in any case were recorded by other artists, mainly Olivia Newton-John.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows