Scarborough Shadows Music Gala 2017

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Scarborough Shadows Music Gala 2017

Postby rogera » Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 am

SHADOWS MUSIC GALA 2017
Over the weekend of 10/11th June, Scarborough will be echoing to the fabulous sounds of Britain’s most successful instrumental band ‘The Shadows’. The Shadows Guitar Club East Yorkshire will be organising their 20th annual Shadow’s Music Gala at Scarborough Rugby Club, Scalby Road, Scarborough.

Ian Harper, the co-ordinator of the club, which is based in Scarborough, says “This year will see its most ambitious show to date, with six ‘live’ bands playing over the weekend. Topping the bill, all the way from Sweden, will be one of Sweden’s top bands - ‘The Ryders’”. The band was formed in 1986 and has performed at many Shadows and rock and roll shows throughout Europe. The Scarborough Gala this year will see ‘The Ryders’ playing for the first time in the UK and the band are really looking forward to the show.

“Also from Sweden, we’ll have Lennart Clerwall, one of Sweden’s top music composers. Lennart has worked with many of Sweden’s top bands and singers over the years and has a great friendship with Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus of ‘Abba’ fame, whom he helped when they were recording many of their hits in the 1970’s”.

Lennart has had four number one hits in the Swedish charts as well as many number one hit albums. Ian says “Lennart was one of our guests last year and was so popular with everyone that we just had to ask him back”. Over the past few years Lennart has been writing and recording lots of new ‘Shadows’ themed tunes which has proved popular with fans.
“Lennart really enjoyed been in Scarborough last year and in recognition of this he has written a special tune for us which he has titled ‘Theme for Scarborough’”

As well as ‘The Ryders’ and ‘The Lenny Clerwall Band’ there are also four other bands, ‘Down South’ who are from Devon, ‘The John Wilkinson Band’ from Newcastle and from North Yorkshire; ‘The Fentone Four’ and ‘Legend’.
Also playing will be many individual players, playing to both backing tracks and in ‘live’ bands.
Over the years the club has had visits from members and past members of ‘The Shadows’ with Bruce Welch, Jet Harris, ‘Licorice’ Locking and Alan Jones all attending and playing for us.

The weekend starts on Saturday 10th June at 11am – 17-30pm & Sunday 11th June from 10-30am – 17-30pm.
Tickets are available on the door at £10 for one day or £15 for both days.
Scarborough Rugby club have plenty of free car parking plus full bar and catering facilityies, if you need more information please phone 01723 366811 or 07966 230271.

Ian Harper
Co-ordinator
Shadows Guitar club East Yorkshire
01723 366811 or 07966 230271.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Re: Scarborough Shadows Music Gala 2017

Postby daydreamer8355 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Bob and I are looking forward to another enjoyable weekend in Scarborough, very friendly and welcoming people, great entertainment, we are counting down the days this years we are coming on the Thursday so we can have a look around Scarborough as we didn't have time to do any exploring last year.

Kindest Regards

Bob & Liz
daydreamer8355

Postby old romantic » Wed May 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi all,
Looking forward to the gala as is will soon be here . I have booked the fish and chip restaurant as usual so please let me know when you arrive if you are going there on the Saturday night.
Cheers
Linda x
old romantic

Full Real Name: linda harper

Postby bassboogie » Wed May 31, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi,

Yes looking forward to meeting up and much fun and music.

The good news is that I am trying to persuade Roger Allcock, the Ryders and Lenny Clerwell to pay for the fish and chips !!

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby KurtFroberg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 am

We'll be happy to pay for your fish and chips, Luigi! :-)
Looking forward to see you all again!

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Postby rogera » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:34 pm

You will be out of luck Luigi because they don't accept Krona in Yorkshire, and any money that I have will be so devalued once Jeremy Corbyn
has been elected that I won't be able to afford it !! :o :lol:
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby jetcross » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:43 pm

A first for Scarborough ~ we will now have an all Vox backline with the inclusion of an original 1966 Vox Foundation bass rig. AC50 all valve head and 18" cab. Used at Tyneside Gala and Bruce Welch said how good it sounded... praise indeed ! All bass players welcome to use it.
jetcross

Full Real Name: Ian Cross

Postby old romantic » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi all,
Just a bit of information for those coming who would like to play to backing tracks. Whilst the club holds most of the well known backing track CD’s we don’t hold all of them. I would therefore suggest that should you have a particular track you want to play which is not so well known or out of the ordinary you bring it with you. We have Mini-disc available or we can give you access to a laptop with USB input. We have found over the years that we can usually get by with these systems. If you are unsure about anything then please get in touch and I will do my best to help.

Thanks

Ian Harper

Club co-ordinator
old romantic

Full Real Name: linda harper

Postby bassboogie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Well done Mr Jetcross, good news indeed, a real bass amp, not one of these micro amps made for old men who can't carry proper amps.
Have dusted down the old Morris Minor "Woody" station wagon and Roger and I will start the 4 day journey to Scarborough tomorrow. The car radio runs on EL84 valves, so we will have some spares if needed.
I am also taking a collection box for the journey as Kurt was the only person who offered to pay for the fish and chips.

Looking forward to meeting up, and some loud bass playing.

Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 pm

Hope you all have a great time. I played through the Vox bass amp at Newcastle and the sound certainly hit the back wall!

Cheers - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to The Shadows