Scarborough Shadows Music Gala 2017

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Scarborough Shadows Music Gala 2017

Postby bassboogie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Roger and I have arrived at the Birmingham motorway services and I am sure I can hear Mr Jetcross practising the basslines to Apache ?

See you there, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby KurtFroberg » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:30 pm

bassboogie wrote:Roger and I have arrived at the Birmingham motorway services and I am sure I can hear Mr Jetcross practising the basslines to Apache ?

See you there, Luigi

That's really great news, you both are coming again! Roger made it also!

We will arrive around 11 PM tomorrow, Friday... See you!,

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Postby bassboogie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Once again must thank Linda, Ian and everyone ladies and gents who organised and ran this this fabulous event, it just gets better and better.
Individuals and bands gave their all and kept us entertained for two days and the attendance as far as I recall was the best ever.
Many thanks to our Swedish friends, Lenny, Ryders and supporting crew, just watch them on Youtube, that says it all.
Many thanks to Dave Ayres who drummed for us and many others, much appreciated.
For bass players Ian's mega Vox Foundation amp kept our trousers flapping and gave us that rare opportunity to play through an iconic 60's amp.

Here's to next year, and once again "Skol" and Cheers to all, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Phil McGarrick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Luigi & All - must say in my opinion this is the best Shadows event since the Bruce Welch Shadowmania at lakeside.
A packed out room both days - super people and so well organised, by Ian Harper, Linda and co.. both with the sound and smooth running of the event.
Our guests from Sweden Lennart Clerwall and The Ryders really made the show and this year was exceptional !
Great to see along side Lennart, Our own Dave on drums, Steve on rhythm and for the first 4 numbers each day Roger on lead.
Kurt was playing lead on the rest of Lennart's set and is a great player and always enjoy his playing - The Ryders set was excellent !! Links to the video's on the soundfiles section - still uploading as I write this.
looking forward to next year :-)
Cheers Phil
Phil McGarrick

Full Real Name: Philip McGarrick

Postby old romantic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Dear all,
Ian and I would like to thank everyone who came along to the annual gala at the rugby club. It was a wonderful long weekend from the Friday until the Tuesday morning when we finally said our goodbyes to people. There are many people to thank and I hope I don't miss anyone. Our crew of Terry, Les, Eric, Barry, Brian, were super in sorting out the PA, setting up the stage and organising the backing players and live bands. Our compere Kevin who kept things moving along so well as usual. The ladies Madge and Brenda ( complete with broken leg) were busy all day on the tombola, raffle and door.
Many visitors who played to backing tracks and live ; you were all magnificent! Thank you to our bass guitarists, rhythm guitarists and drummers who backed all who wished to play live.
The bands, Roll Back from Newcastle, Down South from down south of course, The Fentone Four, Legend, Lenny Clerwall and friends and The Ryders from Sweden were all amazing. I even had a dance or two!
We had wonderful people like Martin who provided drums and Ian with his 1966 Vox foundation bass amp, together with Steve with his rhythm and acoustic amps. Without all of you the weekend would not be possible. Yes we play shadows style music, we chat to all our friends, we go out for Italian meals on the Friday, fish and chips Saturday and the Sunday visit to our local Wetherspoons with anyone who is still here. The train excursion on the NYMR railway on the Monday was an added bonus for our Swedish friends. Thank you Gordon for our Ryders Express!
It is not just the music that brings us all together, it is your friendship that makes the real weekend such a social event. Here's to next year our 21st ,when we do it all again.
Thank you all.
Linda and Ian x
old romantic

Full Real Name: linda harper

Postby KurtFroberg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Linda and Ian & All,
What a terrific long weekend we all had with you guys in Scarborough. I speak for all of our company from Sweden when I say that this is one of the most enjoyable and memorable times we had together anytime. The honour to get to play on your club gala with some of the very best musicians in the Shadows world is huge.
The friendly atmosphere and hospitality together with the perfect organization of the event makes it in our opinion unique, and we do have some other events to compare this with.
A very big THANK YOU to Linda & Ian Harper, Kevin, Brenda, Les, Marg, Eric, Gordon and many more involved with the organization of this event.
Special thanks go to our fellow musicians Steve Longden (rhythm guitars) and Dave Eyre (drums) for their purely excellent and professional preparation and performance together with us and Lenny. They had to study and learn around 20 (mostly) new tunes which they had to perform with us without any real rehearsal before. Professionals indeed!

Thank you, hope to see you all again!
Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Must also say a big thank you to Phil Mc Garrick and relevant performers for their
kind permission to let us see video sets of their performances.
For those of us non attenders its a joy to see these musicians and the action!!!
Nothing good on Telly on Saturday night, not anymore!!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Previous

Return to The Shadows