Top of the Pops

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Top of the Pops

Postby JimN » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 pm

MartcasterJunior wrote:Alternatively, there's a 'save draft' button on the left-hand side at the bottom of the window where you compose your posts. If you're writing a long post then hitting that every few minutes should keep it safe(r). The system might even auto-save drafts so clicking into your profile and checking your drafts folder might be worth a try?

Matt

For longer posts involving pictures, facts and figures copied'n'pasted from spreadsheets, etc, I find it easier to do the drafting in Notepad or even Word.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Moderne wrote:
Fenderman wrote:It's interesting that they were on TOTP playing The Dreams i dream as the track only made number 42 which was their lowest chart position ever. Usually only songs that were in the top 40 were played so i'm assuming this was a 'new release' section? I don't know as i wasn't around in 1966.
By this time, even though their music was still very intersting they were losing pace with the more 'exciting' and louder groups such as The Who, The Stones, The Kinks and The Small Faces. The Shadows in tuxedos just didn't seem cool or hip, they were at this time drifting into Talk of the Town and part of the MOR set. These other groups just didn't do that. You wouldn't see Mick Jagger in evening dress singing 'Mary Ann' :D

I believe in years gone by they featured more 'New Release'/'bubbling under' records than in later years. I read somewhere that Hank performed Break Another Dawn on TOTP with White Plains backing him,

I bet that's LOST too...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby UlrichS » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Moderne wrote:I believe in years gone by they featured more 'New Release'/'bubbling under' records than in later years. I read somewhere that Hank performed Break Another Dawn on TOTP with White Plains backing him,

In my records I found:

1970-08-13 - BBC Top Of The Pops - Hank Marvin – Break Another Dawn (backed by Trash)

Am I wrong regarding the backing?
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby JimN » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:26 am

UlrichS wrote:
Moderne wrote:I believe in years gone by they featured more 'New Release'/'bubbling under' records than in later years. I read somewhere that Hank performed Break Another Dawn on TOTP with White Plains backing him,

In my records I found:

1970-08-13 - BBC Top Of The Pops - Hank Marvin – Break Another Dawn (backed by Trash)

Am I wrong regarding the backing?

Probably not.

There was, of course, a group called White Plains (though they were more sessioneers than gigging band). They had a hit with When You Are A King.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Plains_(band)

There was also a group called Trash, though the original version of the name was White Trash. They changed it after media criticism. Their producer was... Tony Meehan. They were most active on the Apple label in 1969 and apparently weren't doing much by 1970, so that may well point to a fee-earning appearance on TOTP via the Meehan/Shadows connection.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Trash_(Scottish_band)

Perhaps there was some clerical confusion as between White Plains" and "(White) Trash"?

And interesting that Tony Meehan produced for Apple Records releases despite allegedly having been the one deputed by Decca Records to meet Brian Epstein to turn down The Beatles.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Moderne » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:26 am

Sorry - I must have read about 'White Trash' somewhere and subconsciously confused Trash with White Plains!! Thanks Jim...I'm sure your records are correct, Ulrich.

And of course Tony Meehan produced Break Another Dawn. I believe he also took the credit for turning Hank (and Bruce) onto Crosby, Stills & Nash and the West Coast scene in America around this time - which led to them forming Marvin, Welch, Farrar.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:30 am

Interesting, I didn't know that.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Moderne » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Have just realised...my erroneous attribution of White Plains as the backing group for Hank performing Break Another Dawn on TOTP wasn't just me mistaking them for(White)Trash; a friend has just reminded me that White Plains did a version of Taffeta Rose..a Hank Marvin song originally recorded by Macarthur Park/Brotherly Love, hence my subconscious mistake!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Nothing about TOTP need surprise anyone. They did what they had to do to get the show made. Status Quo showed up once minus bass player. No problem. Slade was also in the show so Jim Lea was hijacked to mime with Quo as well.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 am

RayL wrote:Perhaps Admin or a Mod can tell us what the 'timing out' period is?
Ray

This Mod certainly doesn't know!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Previous

Return to The Shadows