Top of the Pops

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Top of the Pops

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:47 am

Here's an interesting picture that I had not seen before. Found it on the getty images website.

It's from Top of the Pops but it doesn't give a year. My guess is that it is from 1965 and is from a performance of 'Don't Make My Baby Blue'.

I gather that there is a recording of this in the BBC archive, although it never seems to get shown and I haven't seen it on Youtube. It may not. of course, be a recording of this particular performance. Looks like Brian's in the Pit!
Attachments
85511540_opt.jpg
85511540_opt.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 14085 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Top of the Pops

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:19 am

Or maybe "The Dreams I Dream"? Both tracks have a lead guitar and piano, but "Don't Make My Baby Blue" features more lead guitar than "The Dreams I Dream", so as Hank is behind a piano, my guess is the latter is probably played (or mimed to?). But I could be wrong of course.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby StuartD » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:01 am

Hi

It's 'The Dreams I Dream'. I saw it at the time

I'm not sure if that is a Harpsichord. I seem to remember something about it at the time.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby UlrichS » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:50 am

If it's "The Dreams I Dream", this was broadcasted on 17. November 1966.
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks. I had forgotten about the lead guitar. I suppose Hank could have jumped up and played that bit and then sat down again. So it seems unlikely that we shall ever see this again (on TV). A shame.

I can't imagine that this is a harpsichord as they are not usually upright. I think it is just a normal small upright piano.
drakula63

Postby Derek Mowbray » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:31 pm

this must be a still photo, Top of The Pops was still in black and white at this time.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 pm

drakula63 wrote: ... I can't imagine that this is a harpsichord as they are not usually upright. I think it is just a normal small upright piano.

I'd like to say Mk II Mellotron, but fear this may just be wishful thinking.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:08 pm

I probably should have posted the picture before I made it smaller. Some detail is lost...

It looks like an acoustic instrument to me.
drakula63

Postby RayL » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:57 am

TOTP? 1966? Surely they are singing to a backing track, which means that the instruments that you see are just props.

Having worked in the various BBC West London studios where TOTP was recorded in the '60's, '70's, '80's and '90's (in Lime Grove, Television Centre and Elstree) I can testify that a hire company would deliver drums, amps, pianos, whatever was needed for the show. The drums would come with rubber discs for the heads (and probably snares removed) to cut down on acoustic noise when singing (using live mics) to tracks. Some identifiable instruments turned up many times, such as the white Shergold twin-neck guitar.

Obviously when a performer had a sponsorship deal, then that guitar (or other instrument) would be brought and used by the performer, but otherwise the band (and their management) were only too pleased not to have to bring a van-load of gear to the studio just to provide props.

There was a period when the Musician's Union insisted that new backing tracks were made for each TOTP performance. This was got round, of course, since reproducing the original (which might have taken days or weeks) was out of the question. On the morning of the show, a studio would be booked and the band would go through the motions of recording. When the MU rep turned up, he would be taken out to lunch and when he returned, lo and behold, a finished backing track was ready (really just a copy of the original) and everyone was happy.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Graham C. Marshall » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 am

RAY - I love this sort of 'behind the scenes' stuff. You'll probably have enough material for a book. Have you ever considered writing one?
Graham C. Marshall

Full Real Name: Graham C. Marshall

Next

Return to The Shadows