Without a Word number 9 in UK

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Without a Word number 9 in UK

Postby drakula63 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:45 pm

On a good/bad week it has been known to get to NUMBER ONE in the singles charts with sales of around 10,000.

This only goes to show just how many records Cliff and the Shads must have been selling to get single and albums to No 1 in the 60s and 70s.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Moderne » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm really enjoying Hank's new album - am playing it in the car then taking it out and playing it in the house. The fact that Hank has chosen all the songs instead of having some of the songs foisted upon him really shows. I won't do a track-by-track rundown as doubt whether anyone wants to read that (!) but I think Russian Doll is a good original and there aren't any tracks I feel the need to skip over. Some of them I think are brilliant...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby MikeAB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:28 pm

It's a good album alright and even 'Hank' has grown on me over the years as well. It was good to see the early reference to the sound of summer again disappeared along the way as well.

But it's time for Warren and Ben to grab the Guv'nor - and Hank - and make the definitive 2020 instrumental album - doesn't have to be all originals but more up tempo numbers would really liven things up as demonstrated by the very cool Peter Gunn/BEW track.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby strongbow » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 pm

My copy arrived yesterday and I've given it a first spin. I like it and must confess to being pleasantly surprised by how well things like Are You lonesome Tonight and Will You Love Me Tomorrow adapt to an instrumental treatment. Overall, I think it's his best since 2002's Guitar Player.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Postby Clarry » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:48 am

Ha ha! My wife who is Polish, so is not familiar with The Shadows but bizarrely has met Bruce a couple of times, shouted from the living room this morning, "Your friend is on TV!". So I rush in thinking the law or notoriety has finally caught up with one of my mates, but no. It's an advert for Hank's new album.

She recognised him from 60s albums I have. He's obviously aged well!
Clarry

Full Real Name: Clarry McDonald

Postby Fenderman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:09 pm

strongbow wrote:My copy arrived yesterday and I've given it a first spin. I like it and must confess to being pleasantly surprised by how well things like Are You lonesome Tonight and Will You Love Me Tomorrow adapt to an instrumental treatment. Overall, I think it's his best since 2002's Guitar Player.

Yep, i'd say it's his best since Guitar Player. I wasn't too keen on Are you lonesome tonight? That's the only one i don't like.
My favourites (so far) are Alfie, Cry me a river and The fool on the hill. Been playing them non stop. My brother said Hank's version of Dr Who is better than the original and he doesn't like Hank.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 am

I have listened to the album twice this weekend, once via CD and once via LP. It's quite an entertaining album, with first-rate playing as usual. I do think it's a little more laidback, compared to some of his previous 'mainstream' albums. By the way, what is the current chart position for this album?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby bgohara » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:25 am

iefje wrote:I have listened to the album twice this weekend, once via CD and once via LP. It's quite an entertaining album, with first-rate playing as usual. I do think it's a little more laidback, compared to some of his previous 'mainstream' albums. By the way, what is the current chart position for this album?

Ivo

Number 12 this week
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Fenderman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 am

I'm hoping his next release is 'Hank plays Iron Maiden' :D
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby howarddobson » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:23 am

Couldn’t see the link - what’s the channel called ?
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows