Vocal versions of Shads tunes

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vocal versions of Shads tunes

Postby des mcneill » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 pm

captainhaddock wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOXdBxeQvk

How's about this then Guys and Gals, For me the most bizzare vocal version of a Shadows instrumental track in the history of the world. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????

Thanks for this Capt'n, I thought there was a German version,but didn't realise it was Marlene Dietrich,- not quite what we're used to but interesting all the same. This thread is turning up some great results.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby captainhaddock » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBfWfFaLoxA

This link brings you to another version of the same track, this time by Nena of "99 Red Balloons" fame.
Enjoy?
captainhaddock

Postby Moderne » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:45 pm

JimN wrote:The vocal version of No No Nina was issued in 1975. The instrumental wasn't issued until 1997.

JN

The instrumental version was recorded in 1974 so I guess Chris wondered whether it was initially conceived as a vocal or an instrumental. I imagine it was originally planned to be a vocal but for some reason they recorded it as in instrumental - possibly because prior to their taking part in Eurovision, EMI saw them as an instrumental group following the lack of success of MW+F. I would guess they thought the melody was strong enough to convert it into an instrumental using the vocoder to retain the vocal title. But I could be wrong! Stuart Duffy could probably give a better answer.

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 pm

The instrumental arrangement of No No Nina is great fun and quite different from the vocal. However, it sounds to me like a song with the words missing. The melody line isn't really strong enough to carry as a tune IMHO
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby des mcneill » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 pm

flingelbunt wrote:Perhaps someone can enlighten me regarding an Indian vocal version of 'Return to the Alamo' which my band 'Bungleflint' played during our act and is featured on YouTube if you search under Bungleflint. We were filmed performing this at the Warwick club about 18 months ago, and suddenly there were links to an Indian 'Bollywood' style movie, with a vocal clearly 'pinched' from 'RTTA'. I've often wondered since whether Hank and the lads have been missing out on some royalties!! Jim N- any thoughts?

Maurice ;)

Hi Maurice,
Enjoyed Bungleflint,am totally amazed at the Bollywood connection. Many thanks.
Des.
des mcneill

Postby flingelbunt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Des!
It does seem as if Indian musos are 'known' for plaguerising tunes/songs, so it would appear this is one that's crept under the net! Interesting thread- I've heard that Marlene Deitrich version of TFYL before- it really is dreadful!!

Maurice ;)
flingelbunt

Postby des mcneill » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help on this thread (my first). The reason for the request is that a friend of mine,John Davis,is a "died in the wool" country singer and song writer who hears "country" in a lot of Shads music and has been thinking of writing words to some tunes and asked me if anyone had ever done it. I dread to think of what he will come up with at future club meetings,but it should be fun. I really did not want to hear the words "camp fire" in the english version of Apache.(thanks Didier) I'll let you know what happens and if I ever learn how to post sound files I will make you listen to it.
Des.
des mcneill

Postby drakula63 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes, regarding 'No, No, Nina', I was really wondering which version was recorded first, rather than which was released first. I first heard the vocal version on Specs Appeal, which I bought in the late '70s. The first time I was aware of the instrumental version, was sometime in the 90s, and it was on the 1997 release of The Shadows at Abbey Road that I first heard it.

Brian's drum fills are more 'conventional' on the instro version; sounding a bit more truncated or dramatic on the vocal. Probably just used two totally inappropriate words there!! It has always sounded to me, I will admit, like a song rather than an instro, but I would hesitate to suggest that this is the case. I believe the vocal was recorded in 1974, but whether the instro version is prior or post this, I still am none the wiser!!!

Thanks anyway. And although it scored badly in the 1975 Song for Europe, I think it's a great song!!!!

:thumbup:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Previous

Return to The Shadows