Bridge Over Troubled Water charity single & Shadows version

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bridge Over Troubled Water charity single & Shadows version

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Yesterday, a charity single version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was released, featuring amongst others, Robbie Williams and (one of my favourites) The Who. Has anyone heard this version already?
This made me think about The Shadows' version from the "String Of Hits" album. Malcolm Campbell commented on their version, that it had the same quality as their version of "Theme From The Deer Hunter (Cavatina)". I agree with that, I think it has a great melody and could have been a hit, had it been issued as a single.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: Bridge Over Troubled Water charity single & Shadows vers

Postby drakula63 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:12 am

In the taxi yesterday, I had the terrible misfortune to hear the charity single 'bridge over troubled water'. It began badly, with some guy doing a rap - which sounded awful. It was all downhill from there as it just became three minutes of everyone singing their own little bits and trying to outdo each other. Dreadful. Cowell should have just donated £10,000,000 to the charity and spared us all this torture. Let's face it, he earns almost £100,000,000 a year and so it wouldn't have been much of a sacrifice. I hope Paul Simon keeps his royalties just as compensation for having his song ruined.

Of course I have the utmost sympathy for the victims of the fire, which was a terrible tragedy, but those suggesting that Cowell and co are doing this out of kindness or general philanthropic reasons are seriously in error. Just think how high Mr Cowell's stock will rise after this. Think about that. And all the other shameless stars who tripped over themselves to get on this single and parade their virtue in front of the world; how many more singles and albums will THEY sell in the weeks and months to come?

Even without the words, The Shadows version is vastly superior to this execrable rubbish.

And I think this thread might be in the wrong section.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Pat Seaman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:12 pm

I have to say that this is by far the worst version of this song that I have ever heard - It's b***** awful.

Pat.
Pat Seaman

Postby drakula63 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Pat Seaman wrote:I have to say that this is by far the worst version of this song that I have ever heard - It's b***** awful.

Pat.

And then some!

May I respectfully suggest that anyone thinking about buying it would be better off buying a copy of 'Big Issue' instead. Or just donate a fiver to the charity. But do not encourage these sanctimonious people who jump on the bandwagon of these 'trendy' causes but are never to be seen (or heard!) when the chances of some free publicity are zero.
drakula63

Postby iefje » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I haven't heard it yet, but was thinking of buying it for the contributions of The Who and Brian May. It is really that bad?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby jimuc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Once again, as has happened before, someone takes a "classic" and totally ruins it.

It is just another chance for a Cowell ego trip and free publicity.

I tend to agree with Chris and the Big Issue idea.
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby anniv 63 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Simon Cowell behind it says it all. I am all for charitable donation in this
case, but it seems keeping some of these rather "ordinary" pop stars in the
limelight is what comes across i.m.h.o.
Dreadful ruination of a good song too

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby drakula63 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 pm

Someone was praising Cowell for giving £10,000 of 'his own money' to the charity as well.

I almost choked on my Toblerone I was laughing so much. £10,000? That would be like about 23p to you or I. Dig a bit deeper Si, you can afford it. Then we won't have to suffer 'criminal records' such as this!!!
drakula63

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm with Drak on this 100%.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to The Shadows