Defining Moment

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Defining Moment

Postby Pedro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 am

When/what was the defining moment that made you rush out and buy a guitar? Was it 'Apache'?
Although 'Apache' had a lot to do with me being alerted th The Shadows' as a 12 year old in 1960 It has to be the picture The Young Ones when The Shadows performed 'The Savage'. That was it! I even bent one of my mothers knitting needles under the tail of my acoustic guitar to substitute a tremolo.
Pedro

Re: Defining Moment

Postby JimTidmarsh » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 am

As far as I can remember (it was 1962-ish!), it was seeing the likes of Bert Weedon and Joe Brown on the TV. I was certainly not aware of The Shads until a few months later when I started my record collection.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby Martin Page » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am

JimTidmarsh wrote:As far as I can remember (it was 1962-ish!), it was seeing the likes of Bert Weedon and Joe Brown on the TV. I was certainly not aware of The Shads until a few months later when I started my record collection.

Yep, 1962 for me also - I was playing in a group the following year. The Shads helped and of course Bert Weedon's 'Play In A Day'.

Martin.
Martin Page

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:17 am

I too used to see Bert Weedon and Joe Brown on TV but they did nothing for me regarding my yearning for a guitar. I used to listen to radio alot and the guitar sounds on the American records was interesting asnd I had heard and liked The Shadows without knowing who or what they were, but it wasn't until I actually saw The Shadows playing FBI on 'Crackerjack' that I put my name down for an electric guitar, though I went through the process of learning to play a few things on the acoustic guitar before I got my hands on a Vox Duotone. That ' Crackerjack' performance was a defining moment for me because I had been badly injured playing football and was sidelined from following my intended career as a pro at Sheffield Wednesday, but the guitar totally captured me and I dropped the idea of wanting to be a pro footballer and threw myself into learning the guitar, which wasn't a bad move as I have had a good living from it to this day. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby StuartD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:35 am

HI

I think for me it was the Young Ones and the Savage. I had seen the Sahds before that - at Leeds Empire on the night Tony was late- but i think for many the Young Ones will have been the first time we really saw those shiny shot silk suits, the red Feners, Jet's 'blond' hair and that walk captured on a larger than life screen. We are all of that age where we remember what it was like back then - no colour TV, so you couldn't really tell what 'Red' strats looked like unless you went to the local music store to peer through the window!! There were very few colour pics around either. I well rememebr going into Vallances in Leeds. It was a record store and they had an import LP, Meeting with the Shadows, and it had the 'awesome' red Fenders on the front. It was a much beter cover than the Shads first album, just for the guitars!! I couldn't afford it but me and little crowd i ran around with used to go and look at it every Saturday. We used to move around and hide it in the Opera section so it would still be there the next week!! It didn't sell for months!!!

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Pedro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:56 am

Following my previous, I can recall this 'Savage' effect resulting in me frequently visiting a guitar showroom in Liscard (Wallasey) by the name 'Strothers'. There, on display would be a Stratocaster (£162 and 10 shillings) and amongst the amps etc was a Meazzi Factotem, the control panel looked like something out of a space ship. I have forgotten the price of the Meazzi.
I settled for a Japanese Tiesco and had to purchase an additional Fenton Weill Tremolo unit. I just had to have a tremelo. As for amps, a Watkins Scout and Watkins Copycat.
We even had a local band call the Undertakers who were doing OK. Saxaphone and all.
Last edited by Pedro on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro

Postby Mike Honey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:09 pm

It was the intro to Lonnie Donegans 'Cumberland Gap'. then Bert and Hank!

Mike
Mike Honey

Postby siesta beach » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Couldn't agree more Mike! I would say that Lonnie Donegan was the guy that started the guitar craze in this country - Rock Island Line was played to death on my record player and I would be playing along on my £2 acoutic guitar. Then the skiffle craze
took off!
siesta beach

Postby George Geddes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Buying the Frightened City single in 1961...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby JimN » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Duane Eddy and Because They're Young.

The 45 was in the record collection of my parents' pub in Liverpool. I sometimes used to sneak down to the bar in the late afternoon to play the records (quietly). Another in the collection was The Shadows' Apache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GH8yNCB58s

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next

Return to The Shadows