Bar Chords and Strap Lengths

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: Bar Chords and Strap Lengths

Postby Bluesnote » 11 Jan 2010, 18:04

Although I prefer to use bar chords, I had a tutor video of Martin Taylor at one time, and he shows how he uses his thumb over the top of the neck to help with chords and even bass notes, he also uses the side of his index finger to catch more notes for some awkward chords you could'nt otherwise play. I use this techniqe a lot too. It greatly improves your chord vocabulary.
There's no rule that says what you must and must not do, its up to the player to make up his mind.
They cant shoot you for it :D
Bluesnote

Postby ecca » 11 Jan 2010, 18:37

RayL wrote:Three pages about bar chords so far and nothing about straps so let me suggest that actually finding a decent strap can be a problem.

If you don't want
1. Cheapo nylon that creases
2. Logos of firms that you'd prefer not to advertise
3. Heavy metal studs
4. Fake fur
then when you are standing in the music shop looking at the rack the choice dwindles to very little.

Here's what I try to find: 2inch wide plain black leather top surface with natural or suede underside that doesn't slip around on the shoulder.
Here's what seems very difficult to find: A strap that can be adjusted without taking off the guitar

Ray L

I've bought a couple of very stout and stylish ladies belts from charity shops that make excellent guitar straps !
ecca

Postby noelford » 11 Jan 2010, 19:07

Hmmm... I know a couple of stout and stylish ladies. i wonder if I asked them nicely.......
noelford

Postby Bluesnote » 11 Jan 2010, 19:16

I purchased a strap over here in Canada a few weeks ago. Its three and a half inches broad and made of suede leather. Its one of the most comfortable straps I've ever had. Does'nt move a bit when playing. Only downside is that once you've set the lenth, thats it.
No buckle that you can adjust to suit different guitars. I never thought about strap comfort in my early years, must be my age now :(
I dont feel comfortable sitting playing, I feel that I dont have the same access to the trem and controls when playing that way, so I need a good strap now.
Oh :o that reminds me of my belt-mad teachers at school :lol:
Bluesnote

Postby cockroach » 12 Jan 2010, 03:38

Remember when straps were few and far between, and folks used dressing gown type cords wrapped and tied around the headstock, and tied to the end pin or strap button?

I've always found thinner straps cut into your shoulder, wide leather is good, as people have said. The straps made of that car seatbelt webbing type stuff also work OK and wear well.

Mind you, I've done outdoor gigs in 40 degree Centigrade weather over the years here in Australia, where I found my wide brown leather strap soaking wet and turned black from sweat!

Strap lengths would depend on whether you prefer the high on the chest "Merseybeat" position, the "standard" midway position or the "hanging 'round the knees "rockstar" pose..and as other folk have said, when a bloke gets older, the guitar worn higher rests nicely on the old extended tum!

Straps with buckles can usually adjusted whilst the guitar is being worn, some also have that sliding doubled over type arrangement(??) which can also be adjusted without removal.

I agree about standing up to play- I can seldom really "get into it" when sitting down. A strap is necessary as a consequence.
cockroach

Postby noelford » 12 Jan 2010, 09:04

The straps I really dislike are the thin leather ones with sliding shoulder pad that never (for me) stays in place. The straps that came with my Burns Apache and Masterbuilt Strat were both of this type and so have not been used at all. I now have my straps made by Ted Crook who sings and play harmonica with the blues band, Blues Highway. They are robust, tooled leather, not all that flexible but are the most comfortable straps I have. You can see some of the selection available at Crook Leathercraft.

With regard to sitting down playing, I stand up, usually, but have found a good compromise for long stints (such as our annual Children In Need sessions). I use a high stool but sit on the edge with a foot on the ground. It's a very comfortable position and doesn't compromise your playing at all.
noelford

Previous

Return to The Main Board