RWCL - The Finchley Scout Hut??

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

RWCL - The Finchley Scout Hut??

Postby Moderne » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Like many other Shadows fans (OK, probably just me!!) I've been intrigued for a long time by Brian Bennett mentioning the rehearsals for Rockin' With Curly Leads, which took place in a Scout hut in Finchley apparently, "...with an old biddy bringing us plates of sandwiches." He told this story in an interview with Rob Bradford in Pipeline magazine about 20 years ago.

Recently I was looking at eBay when I came across these two foreign picture sleeves for the Turn Around and Touch Me single...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-SHADOWS-4 ... 2598662562

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHADOWS-Turn- ... 2631291467

(Sorry, I need a lesson in posting and sizing photos in messages).

My first thought was...I've never seen this picture before, and my second thought was - could they have been taken in the afore-mentioned Scout hut? Hank looks like he's sitting in a serving hatch in a village hall-type building. (Ok, my third thought should have been "Who cares?!"...I'll get that in before anyone else does! Yes - a grown man of 53 ought to have better things to do on a Sunday afternoon...) What do you reckon, Chris?
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Re: RWCL - The Finchley Scout Hut??

Postby alewis41 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi Clive,

Of all the places for a famous band to rehearse!

Could be the place...

Turn Around.jpg
(157.88 KiB) Downloaded 11400 times

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby drakula63 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:31 pm

Strange how the second of the two has THIS on the item page...

item description:

THE SHADOWS - Another Night / Cricket Bat Boogie 7"

70s instro SURF BEAT EXOTICA. 1977 BELGIAN SINGLE. Sleeve has light pocketwear. Sleeve is further EX-. Vinyl is EX.

I think now is the time to find this mythical Scout Hut - if it hasn't been demolished since 1973 - and get some pics!!!!

(Strangely, mum was a Scout leader back in the 1970s - although not in Finchley - and it was whilst we were at Gilwell in 1979 that I bought 'String of Hits'. I wonder if there are any lists of Scout huts lying around...?)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby UlrichS » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:11 pm

drakula63 wrote:Strange how the second of the two has THIS on the item page...

item description:

THE SHADOWS - Another Night / Cricket Bat Boogie 7"

70s instro SURF BEAT EXOTICA. 1977 BELGIAN SINGLE. Sleeve has light pocketwear. Sleeve is further EX-. Vinyl is EX.

But the seller is definitely wrong with Belgium as country of origin. The rear of the sleeve is in Danish which is quite unlikely for a Belgian release.
EMI 2081.jpg
(94.43 KiB) Downloaded 11379 times
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby RogerCook » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Gordon Hall?
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby StuartD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:45 am

Hi

I remember chatting to Hank about this at the time and in another room in the Scout Hut there was a TV and whilst they were rehearsing Summer Holiday was on the TV. The pensioners were watching and they asked the Shads to go and have a look!!

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby drakula63 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 am

StuartD wrote:Hi

I remember chatting to Hank about this at the time and in another room in the Scout Hut there was a TV and whilst they were rehearsing Summer Holiday was on the TV. The pensioners were watching and they asked the Shads to go and have a look!!

Regards

Stuart

The poor old dears probably just wanted to tell them to "Keep it down in there!"

Actually, just think about that... You're in a scout hut, watching TV and having a nice cup of tea and in another part of the hut, one of the most famous and influential pop/rock bands of the 1960s is rehearsing their new album! AND, as if that isn't enough, they wrote the music for and appeared in the very film you are watching on TV.

Unbelievable is the word. Not that I doubt it's true, but it must stand as one of the most incredible coincidences in history. Well, the history of music anyway! It's almost worthy of a film in itself...
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 am

drakula63

Postby RogerCook » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:31 am

I lived in Finchley at the time but didn't know about this!

Gordon Hall was/is quite close the the house Hank lived in and then subsequently sold to Brian. It was quite a substantial building and iirc had several rooms, enough for TV watching and band rehearsals!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Return to The Shadows