Proposed crowd funded documentary

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Proposed crowd funded Ventures documentary

Postby drakula63 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:27 pm

MartcasterJunior wrote:The fact that nobody has done it already is probably a good indicator of how viable a business proposition it is.

I would not agree totally with that.

I think, sadly, the Shadows seem to be overlooked by the press and media in general - certainly compared with the Stones, KInks, Who, Beatles - and it is possible that they have simply slipped 'under the radar'. I suspect that there would be demand for such a documentary, the sell out tours of 2004/2005 - 2009/2010 would seem to suggest this.

I think it needs someone from within the industry to get their act together and realise that this band kickstarted THOUSANDS of other bands and their influence is easily comparable to that of any of the bands I named above. Even the Fab Four. What was it George said... "No Shadows - No Beatles".

If I had the money, which as far as I know, I haven't, I would HAPPILY and WILLINGLY finance such a documentary - even if it cost £1,000,000. When I look at all these damn lottery winners who just waste their millions on the usual fripperies, I think how easy it would be for any one of them to finance a documentary that would probably be greeted with open arms by at least hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world. And would stand as a testament to one of this country's most successful and important exports.

I think they are overlooked, rather than unworthy or non-viable.

And as far as the Shadows themselves are concerned; I'm sure they could afford it, but I just don't think they are that bothered and it would then seem more like a 'vanity' project. No, it's up to someone else to get this thing made.

And I still haven't checked those 3 lottery tickets!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Proposed crowd funded documentary

Postby neil2726 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 pm

The BBC could easily afford it - sack one DJ and one footy presenter and they have 4 million quid to finance it :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm

They could afford it anyway, but let's be honest, they're all too young to be interested in anything our generation care about.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby drakula63 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 pm

neil2726 wrote:The BBC could easily afford it - sack one DJ and one footy presenter and they have 4 million quid to finance it :D

True. But I think the BBC are probably the company least likely to do anything about The Shadows!

ITV or Sky Arts, maybe.
drakula63

Postby George Geddes » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm with Matt on this one. You might get a basic fan 'talking heads' production on the road but anything involving copyright material would be prohibitively expensive in terms of the returns.

Shadowmania veterans will recall the Shads on the box interlude. Bruce did explore the possibility of a video history - I think Trevor Popple did a lot of research for him -but the cost of using extracts from tv and film made it too costly. The brief extract from the Thunderbirds movie alone was megabucks to include. The market just isn't there for something with such high startup costs.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but experience suggest I will not...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby JimN » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 pm

drakula63 wrote:
neil2726 wrote:The BBC could easily afford it - sack one DJ and one footy presenter and they have 4 million quid to finance it :D

True. But I think the BBC are probably the company least likely to do anything about The Shadows!

ITV or Sky Arts, maybe.

I'm fairly sure that Sky Arts, as worthy a channel as it is, only really presents bought-in material. And it has to be cheap, because the advertising returns on the channel cannot be all that much, especially since commercial breaks are more limited on the Arts channel than on other satellite channels.

ITV?

Forget that. No chance. The current proprietors hate being reminded of the days when ITV was a network of up to fifteen different companies. Even when, in 2005, ITV plc (Granada / Carlton) did a series of three documentaries to mark fifty years of commercial television, they could not bring themselves to mention Rediffusion, ATV or ABC.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:13 pm

A shame that, in the form of a documentary (whether this be for a TV company or retail DVD) the story of the Shadows will probably never be told. I suppose the time would have been the 1990s or, at the very least, at the time of the Final Tour(s).

And yes, to do it PROPERLY, would be a very, very expensive undertaking - I guessed the upper six-figures and it would be anywhere between £500,000 and £1,000,000. Probably not as high as 1M but I could see it being 6 or 700K. If someone could afford to lose that sort of money, just for the sake of getting it made, then it could happen. Everyone is paid for their services (crew/sub-contractors/distribution/participants etc...) all legal fees, copyright clearances, purchase of recordings and footage paid for up front and all royalties paid to those due when it sells (assuming the thing sells). The only one who could possibly lose out, would (surely) be the one stumping up the cash in the first place? Anyone who could easily afford to lose that sum could do it. I'm sure more money is lost gambling by the high-rollers every day.

Oh well. At least we have the Mike Read book; Bruce's book; Alan Hawkshaw's book; numerous books by Cliff; Royston Ellis's book and, hopefully, Brian's book at Christmas! And, of course, all our old copies of Shadsfax, Pipeline, New Gandy Dancer, Arpeggio's John Rostill book, the Jet Harris book and THIS forum. So the story has been told - and continues to be told, albeit to the faithful minority.

But a three hour documentary WOULD be nice! But about as much chance of that as the Ventures one...

The Ventures Movie
First-ever documentary about The Ventures, the best-selling instrumental band of all time.

Evan Hesse
Los Angeles, United States

About
$100 USD raised by 6 backers
0% of $500,000
flexible goal
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Going slightly off topic i would have loved Hank to write his life story, he has been asked in the past but said no as the publishers want all the dirt on what happened in the 60's and he's not prepared to do that. Another wish would be an update to Bruce's 1988 biography, he's retired now so he has plenty of time! But both are now looking remote at best. Even another 'Shadows story' book from another writer looks unlikely :|
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 pm

drakula63 wrote:I think the BBC are probably the company least likely to do anything about The Shadows!

Having spent my career at the BBC I'd be interested to know why you think so? And also who would be the most likely people?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 pm

JimN wrote:Even when, in 2005, ITV plc (Granada / Carlton) did a series of three documentaries to mark fifty years of commercial television, they could not bring themselves to mention Rediffusion, ATV or ABC.

How ridiculous. Granada was only one of the Big Four. That would be like making a documentary about the Shadows and only mentioning one of them. Perfectly interesting, no doubt, but a gross misrepresentation!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows