Proposed crowd funded documentary

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Proposed crowd funded documentary

Postby cockroach » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Interesting...a similar documentary about The Shadows would be a good thing, me thinks...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... ie-music#/
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Re: Proposed crowd funded Ventures documentary

Postby Fenderman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Due to a massive pay increase at work, this would be a good idea. Unlikely to happen anytime soon though.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:28 pm

cockroach wrote:Interesting...a similar documentary about The Shadows would be a good thing, me thinks...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... ie-music#/

Yeah. Believe it or not, I was actually thinking about this a few weeks ago. But we'd have to raise one helluva lot of money. For starters someone's gotta go over to Australia to interview Hank and then the US to interview John Farrar and (if she's well enough) Olivia Newton-John. Also, Cliff - wherever he's living at the time. I'd also want to interview the likes of Phil Collins, Sting, Tom Jones, Macca, Tony Iommi and a whole host of others to put the Shads influence and legacy into its true perspective and scale. It would also be necessary to buy in hundreds of music/video/film clips to illustrate the points made. And this in addition to interviewing Brian, Bruce, Alan H., Alan T, Licorice, and gawd knows how many others. Believe me, if I thought it would bear fruit, I'd set up a crowdfunding project tomorrow.

I truly don't know how much it would cost to do this properly, but it would be a six-figure sum at least and probably in the upper six figures too. They deserve more than a shoddy effort. If it's going to be done, it HAS to be done PROPERLY.

Which reminds me, I have THREE lottery tickets to check! Now I'll take a look at the Ventures project and see how much they are asking...

...half a million dollars. As I said, this kind of thing needs at least six figures. Better get checking those tickets!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:36 pm

You'd also have to get clearence from whoever owns the license for the various clips that were to be shown such as BBC, ITV, StudoCanal etc, that would be quite time consuming, it would be also be better to have more interviews with the main Shadows as well and just some others that were influenced but not too many or it would be too clogged up.
What might be better would be to get Hank, Bruce & Brian together in one room, like they did for The Beatles Anthology series. Actually, that might be a better idea to put the Shadows career into perspective, perhaps do a show covering a specific period, do it in chronological order till the last reunion in 2009/10. It could run to maybe 8 episodes?
But the finance involved would be astronomical, a minimum of £500K would be needed.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 pm

8 episodes? You'd be lucky to hold people's attention for 3. Don't forget most of them these days have no idea who the Shadows were, and when they find out aren't interested, they'd rather have gunge or whatever they're calling it this week.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby drakula63 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:29 pm

I think the fact that with just a month left, the Ventures crowdfunding project has raised just $100 of their $500,000 target illustrates the very real danger that it could be an ignominious disaster to go via that route. It's not that there is no interest, just that the vast majority of those who would be interested are not likely to be the kind of people who pledge money to internet projects. It's the download syndrome again - unlikely to appeal to many people over 50. I don't think a crowdfunding project for the Shads would work.

I would try to get Hank, Bruce and Brian into Studio 2, Abbey Road. Could there be anywhere more appropriate?

I think a two or three hour doco, released on DVD and blu-ray would be the answer. It would probably sell pretty well and then there is the chance that a TV station (or two) would pick it up either to show in a cut down form or split into two or three instalments.

That's how I would do it.

Yes, it would be a hell of a hard slog to get it done, but it would be worth it!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby RayL » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:59 am

If anything did go ahead, I've got footage of the unveiling of the plaque at the 2is. Bruce, the two Brians, Cliff, Clem, etc.
I put a snippet on You-tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow8z0iH5YPI
but there's a lot more.
My own footage, so Rights aren't a problem. Shot in High Definition and 16:9.

Also other in-concert footage from the last 20 years - Bruce, Jet, Brian L. Shot using a tripod, not unofficial wobblycam.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:19 am

Regarding the Ventures own project, its very surprising there has been no real
support in Japan, their biggest marketplace of all !!!!!
With still a massive following on the bands tours, recordings etc over there for
50 plus years you would be looking for some investment surely from Superfans or
Private investors capital.
Maybe , there is just a hint that Don Wilson's family are looking at the project for
their own long term benefit, fair enough from that angle I suppose.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby kipper » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 am

surely the shadows or there management could fund this type of project themselves, they must have more money than most of us and they maybe stand to gain from it. they got a very decent living over the years thanks to most of us. just a thought not having a go at them or anyone else but it just seems a bit strange that we would finance those who already have more that us. repeat again not being rude or offensive to any one. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby MartcasterJunior » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 pm

The fact that nobody has done it already is probably a good indicator of how viable a business proposition it is.
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Mathew Verril

Next

Return to The Shadows