Running Out Of World

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Running Out Of World

Postby martcaster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:00 am

' morning all!
Just found this on good old Youtube.
Not a stunningly brilliant performance, but a nice rarity. Does anyone have a recording of them playing it on The Simon Dee Show/Dee-Time ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3SN31NjrX4

Mart
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Re: Running Out Of World

Postby Fenderman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Not the best performance but interesting nonetheless.
I had no idea this show was recorded, it would be good if it was released commercially as the audio quality isn't too bad.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:34 am

This is quite a rarity indeed, I have never heard it before! I really like this, because it's a live version played by the group only, with the basic setup of lead/rhythm/bass guitar, drums and vocals by Hank, Bruce and John.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Monty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Always surprised me the studio recording was wasted as only a sixties 'B' side like 'Trying To Forget The One You Love' and earlier in 1966 the terrific powering instrumental 'Late Night Set' - when in each case the 'flipside' was FAR stronger than their respective non charting 'A' sides in my opinion...
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:32 pm

... contains one of those famous Shads lyric achievements, on a par with "... a wife and a child and they'll be my turtle doves"

(and I now find it actually can be done!)

Dallas to Dover.jpg
(48.46 KiB) Downloaded 11323 times
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby iefje » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:49 am

Monty wrote:Always surprised me the studio recording was wasted as only a sixties 'B' side like 'Trying To Forget The One You Love' and earlier in 1966 the terrific powering instrumental 'Late Night Set' - when in each case the 'flipside' was FAR stronger than their respective non charting 'A' sides in my opinion...

I agree. As fine as "I Met A Girl", "A Place In The Sun" and "The Dreams I Dream" are, their respective B-sides "Late Night Set", "Will You Be There" and "Scotch On The Socks" are stronger and I think would have got higher on the national singles charts. Also, "Running Out Of World" and "Trying To Forget The One You Love" would have been better bets.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 pm

I feel that I met a girl wasn't a strong enough single, their chart placings by then were getting lower and they needed some strong material. Wil you be there and My Way would have been strong 1966 singles and i feel would have done better. The A sides could either have went onto Shadow Music or released as B sides or an EP.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:48 pm

On first hearing ROOW, a friend of mine said, "They should re-release that! That's the sort of thing that's getting into the charts now."

This was in about 1971-72, the era of close harmony bands such as Bread, America and the Eagles (not the proper British ones though).
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Monty » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:23 pm

I love Hank's guitar solo on ROOW it just flows so well and the song clearly was potential chart material
- wasn't it forced to sit as 'B' side under that epic 'London's Not Too Far' ? :roll:

likewise the superb production TTFTOYL under the OAP song 'Mrs Bell' (ding dong ding dong) - and they wondered why they wern't having chart hits ??? :lol:

'Mrs Bell' always reminds me of The Dave Clark Five's worst moment on vinyl 'Tabatha Twitchit' !! :oops:

'My Way' and 'Will You Be There' were not unlike The Searchers or Hollies style and should have been singles too

we know George Harrison liked their 'Don't Make My Baby Blue' and thought they should do more vocal tracks as singles

I do like 'A Place in The Sun' which did at least chart but I agree a few 'B' sides over that 1965-68 period were far stronger than the 'A' sides and the odd album track might have worked as a single
Monty

Full Real Name: Geoffrey Coles

Return to The Shadows