It'll Be Me Babe

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

It'll Be Me Babe

Postby drakula63 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:25 pm

THIS has just gone up on Youtube. Sounds a bit different to the version we're all familiar with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x4OwRxfi3U
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: It'll Be Me Babe

Postby iefje » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:44 am

Ah yes, I've heard this version before. It's a demo recording by Marvin & Farrar. It seems to me parts of it have been used in the final Shadows version. The only question is, who plays the bass guitar and drums on this demo version?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Is there any audible evidence that Bruce is on the version by The Shadows?

This sounds very similar to the released 45, the main differences being that the falsetto vocal is a bit low in the mix and the low-pitched spoken words are missing.

There's a nasty little click (mainly in the left channel) at around 2:20. It was soon repaired with the excision of three-thousandths of a second of the audio.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Moderne » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for posting this - I knew it existed but had never heard it before.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 pm

JimN wrote:Is there any audible evidence that Bruce is on the version by The Shadows?

This sounds very similar to the released 45, the main differences being that the falsetto vocal is a bit low in the mix and the low-pitched spoken words are missing.

There's a nasty little click (mainly in the left channel) at around 2:20. It was soon repaired with the excision of three-thousandths of a second of the audio.

Another major difference is the drumming. On The Shadows' version, Brian can be heard not only keeping the main beat, but also additional fills, which can be heard on the far left and far right positions in the stereo image. I'm not entirely sure if Bruce can be heard playing guitar on The Shadows' version, but I do think he sings harmony with Hank and John.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:50 pm

iefje wrote:Ah yes, I've heard this version before. It's a demo recording by Marvin & Farrar. It seems to me parts of it have been used in the final Shadows version. The only question is, who plays the bass guitar and drums on this demo version?

If it's a 'demo', then it could easily be John Farrar on bass.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby flingelbunt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 pm

I well remember this track being discussed on a Radio 1 evening programme at the time. It was introduced as a 'mystery' single for a panel of various musos and music industry people to try and guess who it was. The comments ranged from sort of "ok" with one person commenting that it "sounded like a group of session musicians"! I did like the single from a personal viewpoint, but they followed up with 'Run Billy Run' which just stretched the genre too far (my opinion for what it's worth). As others have mentioned some of the B sides were stronger than the A sides around this time. Their vocal abilities were superb as during the MWF era, but they did go off on strange tangents at times....
flingelbunt

Postby JimN » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 pm

flingelbunt wrote:I well remember this track being discussed on a Radio 1 evening programme at the time. It was introduced as a 'mystery' single for a panel of various musos and music industry people to try and guess who it was. The comments ranged from sort of "ok" with one person commenting that it "sounded like a group of session musicians"! I did like the single from a personal viewpoint, but they followed up with 'Run Billy Run' which just stretched the genre too far (my opinion for what it's worth).

Run Billy, Run was released as the follow-up to Let Me The Be The One in 1975.

It'll Be Me, Babe was the only Shadows record issued in 1976.
JimN

Postby bgohara » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:51 pm

I've just seen this thread - as my attention was drawn back to this song this week when I discovered that the Osmonds had recorded a cover of this song on their 'Brainstorm' album from 1976 (listed as It'll be Me' and with the Osmonds erroneously listed as composers on youtube).

I missed out on hearing this demo version - which has now disappeared from youtube.
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby JimN » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:00 pm

bgohara wrote:I've just seen this thread - as my attention was drawn back to this song this week when I discovered that the Osmonds had recorded a cover of this song on their 'Brainstorm' album from 1976 (listed as It'll be Me' and with the Osmonds erroneously listed as composers on youtube).

I missed out on hearing this demo version - which has now disappeared from youtube.

I MIGHT still have the audio.

I'll check.
JimN

Next

Return to The Shadows