Hank Who?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank Who?

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Correct Monty, the original Eagles were from Bristol. If you're quick, you might be able to catch the film 'Some People' in which they were involved, on YouTube before they take it down! It features some of the band's music, as well as parts of Bristol you might recognise if you've ever been there (I lived there for 47 years).

Some of their instrumentals were really good, their version of The Lonely Bull being far better than the Shads' (IMO anyway). They had a few originals also, nothing wrong with those either.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby neil2726 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:28 pm

The Bristol "Eagles " backed Del Shannon on one of his first UK tours (62 I think ) They were also involved in the TV production of "A Man Dies" with Valerie Mountain and Ricky Forde.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 am

Yes, in the early eighties I was in the same band as Ricky Forde (whose name was actually Bill; I used to think of him as 'Bill-or-Ricky').

Not an experience I would wish to repeat.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby neil2726 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:26 am

Ricky Forde came to my area Stoke on Trent in the 60s and joined the Marauders who soon became the Tennesseans. They were the top band in the area at that time. He was of course noted for being able to sound like Roy Orbison and is still the best Ive heard over the years. I believe he passed away a few years ago.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby drakula63 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:06 pm

The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (#517) contains a couple of tweets on the letters pages on the subject of their recent interview with the inimitable - and ageless -
Mr Marvin...
Attachments
hankdrwho.jpg
(72.46 KiB) Downloaded 7495 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby jetharrisfanclub » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 pm

I know this post is re Hank, but as the subject of The Bristol Eagles has been mentioned, the Del Shannon/Johnny Tillotson Tour was April/May 1963 and The Eagles were not involved with the 'A Man Dies' project, which was in 1964, and for which an album was available Coulmbia 33SX1609 (mono only). If anyone does fancy any more information on the group there is a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/theukeagles - which I think can be viewed without being on Facebook.
jetharrisfanclub

Full Real Name: David Holbrook

Previous

Return to The Shadows