NEW Shadows CD Box Set compilation!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NEW Shadows CD Box Set compilation!

Postby drakula63 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Looks like this is all the Shads Polydor albums in a box!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075KHY9K4?tag=vig-21

BOXING THE SHADOWS - Boxing The Shadows 1980-1990 Box set
The Shadows (Artist, Contributor) Format: Audio CD
Price: £59.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Delivery Details
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
See all formats and editions
Audio CD
£59.99
1 New from £59.99
This title will be released on November 3, 2017.

THIS LIMITED EDITION INCLUDES A 6"X6" B/W PHOTOGRAPH SIGNED BY THE SHADOWS. The Shadows remain one of the most prolific bands of the last 60 years. They had 31 hit singles (plus 30 with Cliff Richard), which include 16 Top 10 hits (plus 25 more with Cliff), 5 No. 1 hits (plus 7 with Cliff). They've also spent 361 weeks on the albums chart (plus another 400+ with Cliff), selling tens of millions of records since 1958, and defining the sound that influenced many of the world's greatest guitarists. The Shadows achieved a phenomenal run of hit albums throughout the 1960s/70s, with their last two reaching the No. 1 spot. In 1980 they moved to a new label, Polydor, where during a ten-year association they would produce an additional eleven albums. With input from The Shadows and their management, 'Boxing The Shadows 1980-1990' is a collection of their musical output from that decade. Packaged in a deluxe 7"x7" hardback casebound book, with each CD slotting into its own reproduced mini album 'sleeve', this 11CD/163-track anthology includes all of those newly recorded albums; 'Change Of Address' (1980), 'Hits Right Up Your Street' (1982), 'Life In The Jungle' (1982), 'Live At Abbey Road' (1983), 'XXV' (1983), 'Guardian Angel' (1984), 'Moonlight Shadows' (1986), 'Simply...Shadows' (1987), 'Steppin' To The Shadows' (1989), 'At Their Very Best' (1989) and 'Reflection' (1990). The set also includes several non-album B-sides, as well as a couple of single remixes. The 7,000+ word liner notes written by Broadcaster, Author and Songwriter Mike Read, includes elements from recently conducted interviews with members of the group. This sumptuous unique collection highlights how The Shadows worked with new studio technology to enhance their sound and create innovative interpretations of many current hits of the time, resulting in a whole new generation of fans.

A bit too much for me at £60 and I'd not be interested in all of the albums. A shame they've missed off 'Fender Bender'. Again! Maybe when it's come down in price...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: NEW Shadows CD Box Set compilation!

Postby leosden » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 pm

You beat me to it Chris.......could only announce it this morning. Details also on our web site
www.leosden.co.uk
Juliette
leosden

Full Real Name: Pat Read

Postby drakula63 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:21 pm

leosden wrote:You beat me to it Chris.......could only announce it this morning. Details also on our web site
http://www.leosden.co.uk
Juliette

Yeah, I had a feeling - at the back of my mind - that you had alluded to this in one of your emails.

It looks like a good set, but it might be a case of waiting to see if it goes down in price a bit. I haven't looked on your site yet, but I am assuming that the 'Amazon Exclusive' must refer to the signed photo? Doesn't matter to me as I have Hank, Brian and Bruce's autographs on various things already!
drakula63

Postby iefje » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 am

I have ordered my copy just now. Interesting to see most of the non-album B-sides from the early 1980's issued again, although "Fender Bender" is absent. Also, the 1983 studio version of "Shadoogie" is excluded. I do wonder if the 7" single remix of "Dancing In The Dark" is finally issued on CD here. Does anyone know on which label this is issued?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 am

iefje wrote:I have ordered my copy just now. Interesting to see most of the non-album B-sides from the early 1980's issued again, although "Fender Bender" is absent. Also, the 1983 studio version of "Shadoogie" is excluded. I do wonder if the 7" single remix of "Dancing In The Dark" is finally issued on CD here. Does anyone know on which label this is issued?

It says 'Edsel' here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boxing-Shadows ... he+shadows
drakula63

Postby JimN » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm

It looks as though the 7" remix of Dancing In The Dark is finally issued here.

Capture 1.JPG
(73.01 KiB) Downloaded 11011 times
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby bgohara » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:47 am

Price is down to £52.16 from £59.99. Early buyers will get lowest price. I think this is very good value for 11 albums - and looks like a nice set. The signed postcard is a bonus.

I appreciate that many of us will already have the tracks - and there are one or two additional b sides which could have been included but personally I think this is the best Shadows box set yet
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby JimN » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 pm

bgohara wrote:Price is down to £52.16 from £59.99. Early buyers will get lowest price. I think this is very good value for 11 albums - and looks like a nice set. The signed postcard is a bonus.

I appreciate that many of us will already have the tracks - and there are one or two additional b sides which could have been included but personally I think this is the best Shadows box set yet

From my database of the Polydor recordings (all 157 of them), the only ones missing from this set are the 45rpm sides:

1. EQUINOXE (Part V) [edited 45 version] (which was issued on the "Guardian Angel plus" CD)

2. ELEVENIS (issued on the Pickwick CD "Dancing In The Dark")

3. GOING HOME (theme from "Local Hero") (45 rpm edit) (which was issued on the "Guardian Angel plus" CD)

4. FENDER BENDER (issued on the Pickwick LP/CD "The Shadows Collection" and the Polytel CDx3 "Complete")

I note that The Fourth Man has been added to the end of the second CD in the set ("Hits Right Up Your Street") and that Spot The Ball and The Shady Lady have been added to the end of Disc 3 ("Life In The Jungle").
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby bgohara » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Jim

Good summary. Looks like elevenis has been added to the end of 'xxv'
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby iefje » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 pm

JimN wrote:It looks as though the 7" remix of Dancing In The Dark is finally issued here.

Capture 1.JPG

Yes, I've seen that, but this version was also promised for the 2001 compilation CD "The Singles Collection". As it turned out, a third remix version was issued instead, unreleased up till then. A nice rarity for the collector though. ;)
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Next

Return to The Shadows