NEW Shadows CD Box Set compilation!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW Shadows CD Box Set compilation!

Postby drakula63 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

George Geddes wrote:To be really picky, they were actually recording for Roll Over Records and leasing the tracks to Polydor. That deal was for Europe, but the albums in Australasia went out on EMI - which made the first ROR album a misnomer there.

And wasn't Change of Address recorded at Abbey Road? And later of course the free 'live' album. They just hired the studio as did Sky who were on Ariola, for example.

George

True, plenty of non-EMI acts used Abbey Road. I wonder if they did some recording at both Abbey Road AND Honeyhill ?
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Fenderman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:03 pm

I'd love to visit Abbey Road one day and be in the same room that all the music was recorded in. I'd also like to see the famous 'echo chamber' (if it still exists).
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Clarry » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Fenderman wrote:I'd love to visit Abbey Road one day and be in the same room that all the music was recorded in. I'd also like to see the famous 'echo chamber' (if it still exists).

I was lucky enough to go to an open day a few years ago. I felt more emotional than I thought I would seeing the studios in all their glory. Cavernous places.
Clarry

Full Real Name: Clarry McDonald

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:23 pm

The other way, of course, is to book yourself in for a recording session in Studio 2!

Might cost a few bob...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:32 pm

I was fortunate enough to visit Abbey Road studios a few years ago, 2013 I think, and got inside studio 1 and - more importantly - studio 2.

It was indeed a very, very, very strange feeling, being in there and knowing that THIS ROOM was where Apache, Wonderful Land, Foot tapper, and all the others were recorded. It was like walking into a church or some kind of hallowed place. Trust me, it is a very strange and impossible to explain feeling. I talked about it at length in another thread from that time, called Drakula goes to St. John's Wood.

When I win the lottery I'm going to book studio 2 - on the assumption that my money would be as good as anyone elses - buy a Ludwig silver sparkle kit and go in there and record my own vastly inferior version of Little B. I am guessing that, for me anyway, it would be £100,000 well spent!

Meanwhile, here's a photo!
Attachments
studio2_opt.jpg
(54.82 KiB) Downloaded 8329 times
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:The other way, of course, is to book yourself in for a recording session in Studio 2!

Might cost a few bob...

Not got that kind of money!
Maybe i'll sneak into the vaults and get some of the Shadows unreleased tapes :D
Fenderman

Postby JimN » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Fenderman wrote:Maybe i'll sneak into the vaults and get some of the Shadows unreleased tapes :D

But the tape and disc archive is kept elsewhere!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Damn! :D
Fenderman

Postby drakula63 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:32 pm

There are now a lot of customers pictures on the amazon page for this album and several reviews...

Good set if you like the Shadows in the '80s. Comprehensive at 159 different tracks, but not complete as it annoyingly omits 4 tracks Fender Bender, Shadoogie '83, Equinoxe (Part V) (Single edit), Going Home (Single edit). These could easily have been added as bonus tracks.

Bundled boxed set Polydor CDs in a questionable 7" style box where a normal 12.5 cm box would have been a better choice.
Also, there is no protection for each CD with a CD sized PVC inner sleeve.

Missing tracks includes: "Fender Bender" & "Equioxe V(edit)" both taken from the 7" single in 1980.
The so called Shadows expert DJ MIke Read should have spotted that error right from the start of this project.

Perhaps proper Shadows experts like John Freisen or Bob Bradford or Tony Hoffman etc should be used on this occasion.!!!

I'll admit that, despite the four 'missing' tracks, the set does look pretty good. Maybe something I'll consider for Christmas... 2018!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... _i=desktop
drakula63

Postby iefje » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:43 am

"Going Home" on the single is the same length as the album version. The promo single features the edited version. By the way, who are John Freisen and Bob Bradford? ;)
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows