NEW Shadows CD Box Set compilation!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: NEW Shadows CD Box Set compilation!

Postby Moderne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:09 am

iefje wrote:"Going Home" on the single is the same length as the album version. The promo single features the edited version. By the way, who are John Freisen and Bob Bradford? ;)

Hi Ivo,

My copy of the Going Home single (Polydor POSP 657) is an edit of the album version (and doesn't say 'promo' on it anywhere)...the intro is eight bars (I think!) shorter. Presumably they thought the shorter intro would be less likely to put DJs off playing it. I remember being very sad and angry at the time when one of the music papers published an unbelievably offensive (and, I would have thought, libellous) review of it. A great version of a great piece of music. When they performed it live at the time, Brian played keyboard on the intro along with Cliff Hall. I can't really understand why anyone would especially want the edited version included on a CD 34 years later...
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby drakula63 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:34 pm

iefje wrote:"Going Home" on the single is the same length as the album version. The promo single features the edited version. By the way, who are John Freisen and Bob Bradford? ;)

I assume he means ROB Bradford - Arpeggio on this site and a veritable fount of knowledge. His John Rostill book is recommended.

John Friesen was a bit of a legend in his day - the Shadows OFFICIAL mail correspondent and compiler of 20 Golden Greats and Rarities. I bought many an item from his shop back in the early 80s, including a signed copy of Hank's 'Words and Music' LP, signed when he did a personal appearance there. I spoke to John on the phone a couple of years ago and he tells me that he does occasionally look at this forum. So, Hi John!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby UlrichS » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Moderne wrote:

Hi Ivo,

My copy of the Going Home single (Polydor POSP 657) is an edit of the album version (and doesn't say 'promo' on it anywhere)...the intro is eight bars (I think!) shorter. Presumably they thought the shorter intro would be less likely to put DJs off playing it. I remember being very sad and angry at the time when one of the music papers published an unbelievably offensive (and, I would have thought, libellous) review of it. A great version of a great piece of music. When they performed it live at the time, Brian played keyboard on the intro along with Cliff Hall. I can't really understand why anyone would especially want the edited version included on a CD 34 years later...

Hi Clive,

I just had a listen to 'Going Home' from my copy of the POSP 657 single which is 3:52 long (as is the LP version) and also to the DJ/promo version from the PODJ 657 single which clocks in at 3:32. I have loaded both tracks into my music editing program where one can see the differences:
Going Home (POSP 657 vs PODJ 657).jpg
(86.83 KiB) Downloaded 7311 times

Perhaps you have a copy of the promo single where the only difference is the catalog number on the label (PODJ 657), the sleeve has the same catalog number as the standard copy (POSP 657):
Going Home (POSP 657 vs PODJ 657) 2.jpg
(51.61 KiB) Downloaded 7311 times

I hope this is of help.

Best wishes,

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Moderne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi Ulrich, you're right...mine is PODJ 657 on the label! I take it back!! So all these years I've had a promo copy and always thought it was the standard single. You live and learn!

Thanks for pointing that out, Ulrich.
Moderne

Postby Moderne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:43 pm

drakula63 wrote:

I assume he means ROB Bradford - Arpeggio on this site and a veritable fount of knowledge. His John Rostill book is recommended.

John Friesen was a bit of a legend in his day - the Shadows OFFICIAL mail correspondent and compiler of 20 Golden Greats and Rarities. I bought many an item from his shop back in the early 80s, including a signed copy of Hank's 'Words and Music' LP, signed when he did a personal appearance there. I spoke to John on the phone a couple of years ago and he tells me that he does occasionally look at this forum. So, Hi John!

Interesting how the record collecting world has changed...I phoned John Friesen up in 1982 to ask if he had a copy of Hank's self-titled 1969 LP which I was desperate to acquire (as any self-respecting 18-year old Shadows fan would have been at the time!) He explained that he hadn't got it for sale and that it was a very rare record which would cost me at least £20, if I ever found a copy. 35 years later there's always around five of them on eBay for £5-10 each; there's one on there now...Buy It Now for £1.69! Years later I bought a MONO copy from Jim Hunt who, I believe, is a member of this site. (Is this the last Shadows-related LP to be issued in mono and stereo?)

John did a very funny spoof interview with The Shadows which was given away (in flexidisc form) to concertgoers who saw them when they did a short residency at Blazers nightclub around the time of their Silver Anniversary.

Sorry...gone completely off-topic again!
Moderne

Postby iefje » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:25 am

Moderne wrote:I can't really understand why anyone would especially want the edited version included on a CD 34 years later...

For the collector. ;) I personally don't really need it on CD again, because I already have it on the "Guardian Angel...Plus" CD from 1998 and the "The Singles Collection" CD from 2001. I also have a copy of the 1983 promo single.
Last edited by iefje on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 am

Moderne wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Interesting how the record collecting world has changed...I phoned John Friesen up in 1982 to ask if he had a copy of Hank's self-titled 1969 LP which I was desperate to acquire (as any self-respecting 18-year old Shadows fan would have been at the time!) He explained that he hadn't got it for sale and that it was a very rare record which would cost me at least £20, if I ever found a copy. 35 years later there's always around five of them on eBay for £5-10 each; there's one on there now...Buy It Now for £1.69! Years later I bought a MONO copy from Jim Hunt who, I believe, is a member of this site. (Is this the last Shadows-related LP to be issued in mono and stereo?)

The "Hank Marvin" album was indeed the last original Shadows or Shadows-related album from the UK, which was issued in both mono and stereo.
iefje

Postby Moderne » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks Ivo. :)
Moderne

Postby iefje » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:47 pm

UlrichS wrote:
Moderne wrote:

Hi Ivo,

Hi Clive,

I just had a listen to 'Going Home' from my copy of the POSP 657 single which is 3:52 long (as is the LP version) and also to the DJ/promo version from the PODJ 657 single which clocks in at 3:32. I have loaded both tracks into my music editing program where one can see the differences:
Going Home (POSP 657 vs PODJ 657).jpg

Perhaps you have a copy of the promo single where the only difference is the catalog number on the label (PODJ 657), the sleeve has the same catalog number as the standard copy (POSP 657):
Going Home (POSP 657 vs PODJ 657) 2.jpg

I hope this is of help.

Best wishes,

Ulrich

Way back in 1996, I bought the promo single (Polydor PODJ 657) for the bargain price of 5 Dutch Guilders. The seller obviously wasn't aware I had picked out the rarer promo variant from the record box, instead of the standard single (Polydor POSP 657) and I kept my mouth shut of course!
iefje

Postby drakula63 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 am

Just relented and decided to go for it. As a Christmas present to myself when I realised that I had no Shadows presents for Crimbo this year!

It cost me £54.01 - which, on Christmas Day (when I open it) I will be... exactly 54 years and 1 month old !!! It seemed like it was meant to be! That's my excuse anyway!
:D

(Yes, I am always looking for patterns and hidden meanings in everything!)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows