Proposed follow-up releases to "The Early Years 1959-1966"

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Proposed follow-up releases to "The Early Years 1959-196

Postby Moderne » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for your hard work and research, Ivo. Can you tell me...what CD has the mono Trying to Forget... been issued on? I thought it only existed on the original single which I have. Hank's guitar is much more prominent on this whereas Brian's crashing drum overdubs are louder on the stereo - which I've been familiar with for years as it was on the Somethin' Else LP.

Talking of live tracks - it would be great to see Marvin & Farrar's set from the Cliff Live in Japan '72 double album get a release as it's such a good record. I know it was briefly available on the Italian Fremus 'bootleg' CD but not sure whether this was properly mastered or dubbed from disc - I'm sure Jim Nugent will know.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:18 am

Moderne wrote:Thanks for your hard work and research, Ivo. Can you tell me...what CD has the mono Trying to Forget... been issued on? I thought it only existed on the original single which I have. Hank's guitar is much more prominent on this whereas Brian's crashing drum overdubs are louder on the stereo - which I've been familiar with for years as it was on the Somethin' Else LP.

Talking of live tracks - it would be great to see Marvin & Farrar's set from the Cliff Live in Japan '72 double album get a release as it's such a good record. I know it was briefly available on the Italian Fremus 'bootleg' CD but not sure whether this was properly mastered or dubbed from disc - I'm sure Jim Nugent will know.

The mono single version of "Trying To Forget The One You Love" has been issued on the April 2002 French Magic Records CD "The Final 60's" (dubbed from vinyl disc) and for the first time from the original master tape in April 2004 on the EMI UK 4CD "Complete Singles As & Bs 1959-1980 – 21 Years At The Top".

The Marvin & Farrar set recorded on September 22nd and/or 23rd, 1972 was indeed issued on the 1994 Italian Fremus CD "Dakota - The Classic Collection". It was a legal release as far as the Italian law at the time was concerned, but illegal very soon after. The tracks were indeed taken from a mint copy of the September 1973 Japanese EMI Odeon double LP "Cliff 'Live' In Japan '72" and digitally remastered, as Fremus didn't have access to original master tapes. I must say that it sounds pretty good, but an official release of this set, taken from the original master tapes, would be even better. The track "Backscratcher" has been issued officially on the Cliff Richard September 2008 EMI UK 8CD box "...And They Said It Wouldn't Last!".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:22 am

Fenderman wrote:I would like to see a followup but looks unlikely.

Demon Music Group is going to do it for the (almost) entire catalogue of recordings from the Roll Over Records/Polydor era, which is a big but nice surprise, so who knows. ;)
iefje

Postby drakula63 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:27 pm

iefje wrote:

Demon Music Group is going to do it for the (almost) entire catalogue of recordings from the Roll Over Records/Polydor era, which is a big but nice surprise, so who knows. ;)

Do you mean in addition to the box set? So, in other words, all albums available individually...? If so, will there really be a market for this if they have just all been made available as the box set...?
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm

drakula63 wrote:
iefje wrote:

Do you mean in addition to the box set? So, in other words, all albums available individually...? If so, will there really be a market for this if they have just all been made available as the box set...?

I was referring to the 11CD box set "Boxing The Shadows 1980-1990", which will be released on November the 3rd of this year. Maybe if Parlophone notices that this box set is selling well (if it sells well), they would maybe consider issuing the 'proposed' box set of recordings, which I listed at the start of this thread. Wishful thinking probably, but you never know. There has to be a market for it of course and I doubt that myself. The general public is probably most interested in The Shadows' early period. The later phases of their career are not that well known.
iefje

Postby JimN » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Fenderman wrote:I ... don't have any mono versions of the singles after 1964...

Mono versions of:

Mary-Anne,
Stingray,
Rhythm And Greens,
Don't Make My Baby Blue,
The Warlord
and
A Place In The Sun

...were released on the Digipak version of "More Hits!" (mono and stereo version) in 2004. The CD also contained mono versions of The Lute Number and The Drum Number.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 pm

iefje wrote:

I have all i want from the Polydor years (the stuff from 1980-84 then Steppin' & Reflection) The stuff i haven't bought (such as Moonlight or Simply Shadows) is because i simply don't want them. They might sell well though as the originals went top 20 i think.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm

I don't think I'll buy the new box set - unless they drop it in price to about a tenner - as there's so much in there that I'd probably never bother to listen to. I'd be interested in buying individual CDs of Change of Address and Life in the Jungle (although I already have these on CD) and I'd probably add Hits Right Up Your Street and Guardian Angel to that. Otherwise, nothing would be of much interest to me, especially since I have The Singles Collection and Life Story on CD, which contain just about everything from that era that you need. Just discovered that I have Steppin' To The Shadows on CD as well, but only 'cos they were virtually giving it away at one of these big 'remaindered stock' shops.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:32 pm

I think the best tracks on the "Simply...Shadows" and "Steppin' To The Shadows" albums are the originals: "A Heart Will Break Tonight" and "Pulaski" on the former and "Farewell My Lovely", "Mountains Of The Moon", "Stack-It" and "Shoba" on the latter.
As I grew up in the 1980's, the first Shadows albums I heard were the albums from that decade, as my father played them in the living room. For this reason, I actually quite like them. It wasn't until the early 1990's that I discovered the older material from the EMI period.
iefje

Postby Fenderman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 pm

'Steppin' contains one of my all time favourite Shadows tracks 'Shoba' which was written by Hank. I think he named it after a curry house or something :D
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows