Live at the Sankei Hall

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Live at the Sankei Hall

Postby Didier » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 am

I only have "Live at the Sankei Hall" on the double CD by Magic Records, coupled with "Live at the Paris Olympia" (1975), and I have never been much impressed by its sound...
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby StuartD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 am

Hi

I saw them a lot at this time, with Alan Hawkshaw and that was the complete Set List. Remember they were used to doing that length of set in Cabaret and the later, longer sets, were not what was happening then.
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby UlrichS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:01 pm

iefje wrote:
drakula63 wrote:
I've got the latter, but not the former - I had no idea it was on red vinyl. Didn't know they did coloured vinyl as long ago as that.

Yes they did. I also have a copy of the original 1967 Japanese album "The Shadows In Japan", which contains eight tracks from the album "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John" and the four 'Japanese' tracks. This one also has transparent red vinyl and a glossy gatefold sleeve with Japanese liner-notes.

Apart from the very first Shadows album "What's Mysterious Sound" which I have never seen in red vinyl, all Shadows albums up to "The Shadows Golden" (OP-9709) from 1970 were originally released in red vinyl.
A few of them ["The Shadows Deluxe" (OP-8026), "All About The Shadows" (OP-9354B), "The Shadows 'Live' In Japan" (OP-8863) and "The Shadows Golden"] were repressed on black vinyl. I think that there was an export demand for the 'Live' album and the other three are compilations, which could explain the reason for a repressing when only black vinyl was used for all albums.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby iefje » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Didier wrote:I only have "Live at the Sankei Hall" on the double CD by Magic Records, coupled with "Live at the Paris Olympia" (1975), and I have never been much impressed by its sound...

Hank, Alan Hawkshaw and Bruce have all condemned this recording. Bruce maybe also because he wasn't part of the group at the time. I don't know about Brian and John, but they probably thought the same.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby drakula63 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm

JimN wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Here are some photos of the gatefold edition of this LP. I've got the normal single sleeve version, which I think is from Belgium.

The Netherlands.

According to this, the one from the Netherlands has a red circle around the cover photo.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Shadows-The ... se/3627578

Mine has gold. I'm pretty sure it says Belgium on it somewhere... hang on, I'm going to check... Just dug it out of my Union Jack record box...

4 C052-05801
Printed in Belgium
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby drakula63 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Interesting that these labels from a Japanese pressing show the names of the individual Shadows. Not seen that before...
Attachments
sankeihall.jpg
(86.36 KiB) Downloaded 8749 times
sankeihall2.jpg
(84.31 KiB) Downloaded 8749 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby UlrichS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:00 pm

In Europe releases of this album have been made in
- Belgium (4C 052-05081); two sleeve variants: one with a golden ring around the picture, the other one with no ring; silver on black label.
- The Netherlands (5C 052-05081); sleeve with a red ring; three label variants: silver on black, black on red and silver on blue.
- Denmark (6C 052-05081); sleeve with a red ring (originating from The Netherlands); silver on black label.
- Sweden (4E 052-05081); sleeve with golden ring ; silver on black label (repressings with 7C 052-05081 on the label only).
- England (MFP 1018); 2LP set from August 1981, combining the live Japanese album with the Paris 1975 live album; black on red mfp label; totally different sleeve design, the first pressing had a fold-out sleeve, the repressing a single sleeve.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Fenderman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 pm

I had it on vinyl, it was a double album on MFP (coupled with Live in Paris) and i found the sound quality wasn't too great, i read somewhere it was recorded with one microphone and perhaps wasn't meant for release but it was despite Hank trying to block it.
I bought it on CD some years later but the quality was only very slightly better, Hank's guitar sounded very tinny on some tracks but it does contain live versions of Slaughter on tenth avenue and Exodus which i don't think appeared anywhere else.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Moderne » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Apologies as I'm sure I've said this before, but I bought the double MfP 'Live' LP in August 1981 as a reward to self for passing my driving test! Must have been days after its release; I drove to Brent Cross from my home in Edgware (my first 'solo' drive in my grey Wolseley 1500) and bought it from WHSmith for £2.99!

Adverse comments from Hank etc. notwithstanding, I've always quite liked it. I particularly like DMMBB (great vocal from Hank) and Flingel Bunt; I even like the Land of a 1000 Dances bit in the middle with John's Motown-y bass playing. John plays a great solo on Nivram. Live at the Paris Olympia in 1975 is wonderful, of course, although you need the Full Concert Version which came out on CD around 1992 - around the same time as Specs Appeal...plus and More Tasty...all on EMI. Those were the days!
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby iefje » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 am

Fenderman wrote:I had it on vinyl, it was a double album on MFP (coupled with Live in Paris) and i found the sound quality wasn't too great, i read somewhere it was recorded with one microphone and perhaps wasn't meant for release but it was despite Hank trying to block it.

One microphone would not be possible in this case, because the sound mix is true stereo with real instrument separation. Hank's electric lead guitar is positioned in the far right, while his acoustic lead/rhythm guitar can be heard left of centre for instance.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows