Live at the Sankei Hall

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Live at the Sankei Hall

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Here are some photos of the gatefold edition of this LP. I've got the normal single sleeve version, which I think is from Belgium. I have seen the gatefold version, had it in my hands, but haven't got it myself. I won't resize the pics as they might then be too small to really appreciate.
Attachments
shads69japan.jpg
(101.94 KiB) Downloaded 9773 times
shads69gatefolda.jpg
(110.37 KiB) Downloaded 9773 times
shads69gatefoldb.jpg
shads69gatefoldb.jpg (8.5 KiB) Viewed 10846 times
shads69japanback.jpg
(86.88 KiB) Downloaded 9773 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: Live at the Sankei Hall

Postby StuartD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi

I've got the Gate-fold Sleeve version. I sent to Japan for it and also the Cliff Live in Japan 72 album. EMI in Japan were great.

High quality pressing and cover

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby MartcasterJunior » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Anybody know if the LP represents the full set list. I presume not. Any idea what else would have been played? I wonder if there are some tapes gathering dust in an EMI Japan archive somewhere?

Cheers

Matt
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Mathew Verril

Postby iefje » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 pm

I've got the original 1969 Japanese pressing of the album, with lyrics insert, but without the OBI-strip. I've also got the original 1973 Japanese double album (with OBI-strip) "Cliff 'Live' In Japan '72". Indeed high quality vinyl (transparant red in case of the former and black in case of the latter) and high quality sleeve and presentation. Unfortunately, I don't understand Japanese, so I haven't got a clue what's in the liner-notes! :)

This album is as controversial among fans as is the studio album "Shades Of Rock", but I think both albums are quite good. They are two of the more obscure albums in The Shadows' repertoire, which is something I always like with any band.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:29 pm

I've never understood the controversy! A record with Hank, Brian and John on it is just as valid as any of the material released under Hank's name alone!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby drakula63 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 pm

iefje wrote:I've got the original 1969 Japanese pressing of the album, with lyrics insert, but without the OBI-strip. I've also got the original 1973 Japanese double album (with OBI-strip) "Cliff 'Live' In Japan '72". Indeed high quality vinyl (transparant red in case of the former and black in case of the latter) and high quality sleeve and presentation. Unfortunately, I don't understand Japanese, so I haven't got a clue what's in the liner-notes! :)

I've got the latter, but not the former - I had no idea it was on red vinyl. Didn't know they did coloured vinyl as long ago as that. The lyric sheet must look pretty empty, as they only did, what, three vocals? I'll admit that it was Alan Hawkshaw's own copy that I saw, but I can't remember if I actually took the record out of the sleeve - probably not.

I keep checking ebay but apart from the European versions - of which there are three at the moment - no sign of the Japanese one.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby JimN » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 am

drakula63 wrote:Here are some photos of the gatefold edition of this LP. I've got the normal single sleeve version, which I think is from Belgium.

The Netherlands.

I got my first (LP) copy in 1976 from the old HMV shop in Lord Street, Liverpool. I didn't even know the recording existed when I saw it in the rack.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 am

Anyone who wishes to understand the Japanese sleeve notes on the Toshiba CD version should look at Malcolm Campbell's website.

I persuaded a Japanese-speaking Shads fan (Mike McWilliams) to translate them into English.
JimN

Postby JimN » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:32 am

MartcasterJunior wrote:Anybody know if the LP represents the full set list. I presume not. Any idea what else would have been played? I wonder if there are some tapes gathering dust in an EMI Japan archive somewhere?

Cheers

Matt

Well...

I saw the UK leg of the tour and I don't recall any more numbers by The Shadows.

The Cliff Richard section (accompanied by the Brian Bennett Orchestra) was the main part of the show.
JimN

Postby iefje » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

drakula63 wrote:
iefje wrote:I've got the original 1969 Japanese pressing of the album, with lyrics insert, but without the OBI-strip. I've also got the original 1973 Japanese double album (with OBI-strip) "Cliff 'Live' In Japan '72". Indeed high quality vinyl (transparant red in case of the former and black in case of the latter) and high quality sleeve and presentation. Unfortunately, I don't understand Japanese, so I haven't got a clue what's in the liner-notes! :)

I've got the latter, but not the former - I had no idea it was on red vinyl. Didn't know they did coloured vinyl as long ago as that.

Yes they did. I also have a copy of the original 1967 Japanese album "The Shadows In Japan", which contains eight tracks from the album "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John" and the four 'Japanese' tracks. This one also has transparent red vinyl and a glossy gatefold sleeve with Japanese liner-notes.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Next

Return to The Shadows