The Shadows in South Africa 1961

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows in South Africa 1961

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 am

Curiouser and curiouser. The drummer just doesn't look like Tony to me. I accept it's not Brian, there's enough evidence in the picture to put the date a lot earlier. Could it be from a very early session with Cliff and the Drifters and, despite the caption on the sheet music, actually be Terry Smart?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Moderne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 am

Hank and Bruce didn't have Fender guitars when Terry Smart was in the group. I'm sure this picture has been debated before - with suggestions that Cliff played 2nd rhythm guitar on a Shadows tune (tunes?). It couldn't have been a late '61 pic anyway 'cos hadn't Jet stopped dying his hair by the time Brian was in the group?
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby RayL » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:09 am

A photograph, that instant in time, can often give a false impression of a person's face.
Surely the Tony in the studio pic is also this Tony?
Tony Meehan001.jpg
Tony Meehan001.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 8070 times

or this Tony?
Shadows001 resized.jpg
Shadows001 resized.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 8070 times

Incidentally, how about a date and place for the above picture? It's from The Shadows Album Of Guitar Favourites (price 4/-).
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Paul Childs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:28 pm

With reference to Cliff playing the acoustic. You can hear on Quatermassters Stores, Bruce playing riffs on the Jazzmaster while Cliff is strumming the acoustic.
Paul Childs

Postby manofmystery » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 pm

I've listened to "Quartermasster's Stores" again but I cannot hear any acoustic.
manofmystery

Full Real Name: Paul Wray

Postby iefje » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

manofmystery wrote:I've listened to "Quartermasster's Stores" again but I cannot hear any acoustic.

I agree. I remember there was a debate about this some years ago on this forum (I think on the old MSN domain), but that was about "F.B.I.", which features two electric rhythm guitar parts. Both were played by Bruce, one of the two overdubbed or rather superimposed at that time.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Gatwick1946 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 am

Just thinking........have Cliff, Hank or Bruce ever been asked if they can date this photo?
Do we know who was the photographer? If it was a professional there may other prints or negatives lurking in a draw or photo archive?

Kindest regards
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Paul Childs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 am

manofmystery wrote:I've listened to "Quartermasster's Stores" again but I cannot hear any acoustic.

It says on the sheet music about the photograph from the actual session and Cliff can be seen with an acoustic, probably the Gibson J200. The sound may have been kept low to just fill it in.
Paul Childs

Postby cockroach » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm

UlrichS wrote:
cockroach wrote:...
I can only assume the picture was taken late in 1961 just after Brian replaced Tony.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about the drummer on this picture. The origin is from the sheet music of "Quatermasster's Stores" and as you can see the drummer is given as Tony Meehan. As the sheet music has most likely been published near the release of "Apache". If the comment about the photo being taken on the actual session is true this would mean the 17. June 1960.
Quatermassters Stores (GBR).jpg

Ulrich

I think I was wrong...I think that is Tony on drums...similar hairstyle to Brian Bennett, and similar facial features from a distance too..I'd agree with 1960 around the time of recording of Apache/Quatermasster's Stores..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Moderne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Not sure why we 're finding it difficult to go with Friday 17th June 1960 - which is when Apache/Quatermasster's Stores was recorded. Apparently Stars in Your Eyes (the London Palladium show which Cliff, The Shads, Russ Conway etc appeared in for six months) opened two Fridays previously on 3rd June 1960. Maybe they didn't have a matinee on Fridays so were able to nip up to Abbey Road to record Apache and Quatermasster's Stores. The Lewry/Goodall Cliff Richard Chronicle book isn't much help - although apparently they were back into Abbey Road on Friday 24th June from 2.30pm-5.15pm recording stereo versions of three songs destined for the Me and My Shadows LP, which came out in October.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows